Why did Torn Banner completely destroy shields?

• Its main use now is simply to counter range, it will lead to certain death if used in melee. I’m guessing they really didn’t like how the shield slowed down combat so they basically completely removed it in terms of viability in melee. Any one with a shield is a free kill.

• hmm… lol

• @theuprising:

Its main use now is simply to counter range, it will lead to certain death if used in melee. I’m guessing they really didn’t like how the shield slowed down combat so they basically completely removed it in terms of viability in melee. Any one with a shield is a free kill.

Still pretty handy against feints.

And shield bash is useful for closing in and getting a free hit.

• @gregcau:

@theuprising:

Its main use now is simply to counter range, it will lead to certain death if used in melee. I’m guessing they really didn’t like how the shield slowed down combat so they basically completely removed it in terms of viability in melee. Any one with a shield is a free kill.

Still pretty handy against feints.

And shield bash is useful for closing in and getting a free hit.

Feints you can counter, shield bash you can’t.

• Giving the Knight a Heater Shield could fix it.

• I’m not sure if mauls were affected by the patch as far as fighting shields goes, but it feels like getting over the top of shields is much harder to do now. I don’t like this.

• @Slaughtervomit:

I’m not sure if mauls were affected by the patch as far as fighting shields goes, but it feels like getting over the top of shields is much harder to do now. I don’t like this.

My guess is that the inconsistent parry/blocks trained people to look farther in each direction to block attacks meaning they are capable of looking up farther to defend themselves :P

• I am amused that people say “feint>kick can be used as a shittier, higher stam cost, easier to defend against form of feint against shield users, who were previously immune to feints. SHIELDS HAVE BEEN DESTROYED.” Just think back on every 2her you’ve feinted at from behind a shield - they had and still have it worse. And no, shields are still amazing. They aren’t very viable in team modes without lots of crouch abuse (stam cost too high), but in duels they are still fantastic.

• I used shields a lot prior to the patch and still use them a lot now.

Sure, the stamina nerf changed it a lot. This affects turtles the most however. You can’t block attack after attack and pick your shots like you could before the patch. Its a good thing. I think I am only slightly less successful after the shield nerf. Not a huge deal.

• Because there needs to be some sort of reasonable penalty for such a useful accessory. I still use and am very successful with my shield even in team environs.

• Still, kicking a shield and getting a free hit for almost all weapons doesn’t seem to be very fair. It is great against feints, but it’s worse to get a guaranteed free hit of which they can easily select their strongest (and probably slowest) attack. I hate archers that jump around, throw a javelin at me, and kick me when I have my shield up to block it and I don’t put it down directly after.

• Being hit because you kept your shield up for a kick is no more a free hit than being hit because you missed an attack. Kicks cannot be feinted; when you see the kick animation start, release your block button. It doesn’t matter if your shield is still dropping when you get hit, as long as you aren’t holding the block button the kick won’t stun you. The timeframe to see a kick windup and release the block button is longer than the timeframe to parry most onehanded weapons.

• @SlyGoat:

Being hit because you kept your shield up for a kick is no more a free hit than being hit because you missed an attack. Kicks cannot be feinted; when you see the kick animation start, release your block button. It doesn’t matter if your shield is still dropping when you get hit, as long as you aren’t holding the block button the kick won’t stun you. The timeframe to see a kick windup and release the block button is longer than the timeframe to parry most onehanded weapons.

Unless you can’t see the kick because the shield is blocking your vision.

• @ReMixx:

@SlyGoat:

Being hit because you kept your shield up for a kick is no more a free hit than being hit because you missed an attack. Kicks cannot be feinted; when you see the kick animation start, release your block button. It doesn’t matter if your shield is still dropping when you get hit, as long as you aren’t holding the block button the kick won’t stun you. The timeframe to see a kick windup and release the block button is longer than the timeframe to parry most onehanded weapons.

Use sight beyond sight.

• @ReMixx:

@SlyGoat:

Real men play in first person, so this is definitely the hard part.

• @Daiyuki:

It’s only a matter of time before people replace textures on shields with transparent ones. :roll:

• @ReMixx:

@Daiyuki:

It’s only a matter of time before people replace textures on shields with transparent ones. :roll:

Which would help gameplay if it’s strictly clientside. You can replace whatever textures you want with whatever you want in World of Tanks and no one’s any the wiser! Seems legit =p I like customization options like that.

• I don’t use shields, but from playing against them I know they can be both a blessing and a curse. You get basic immunity against feints and a good solid defense, however you also become vulnerable to kicks and stamina loss.

• @SlyGoat:

I’ve already told you guys 2 meetings ago why this is a load of rubbish and doesn’t work as intended right now. Yes, dropping your shield was supposed to not stun you for as long, but the way it was implemented in CU1 however meant this was never the case. There is currently almost no difference between getting kicked with your shield up and getting kicked with your shield down so while you should be dropping Shields for kicks, doing so is pointless at the moment.

• @Martin:

There is currently almost no difference between getting kicked with your shield up and getting kicked with your shield down .

Its been a week or so since I ran shielded but would have sworn that being kicked with your shield up (certainly when I used tower shield) was a bitching stun that 99% of the time meant you got hit while being kicked with it down was a much faster recovery.

Maybe it depends on the shield.

Of course my shield bash was a nice bitching stun for them too so I didn’t mind that much.