Old Chivalry Art Discovered

• Nothing big, nothing that couldn’t be easily found, likely even on these forums. But I found these while image searching, and figured I’d put them up to show how far we’ve come. :P

http://media.moddb.com/images/articles/ … nt_new.jpg

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/blog/wp- … ss_new.jpg

I showed these to one of my friends, who said he liked the old stuff better. I’m very thankful we don’t have nonsense like medals, traits, class ranks, and whatever rubbish the inventory and journal were going to be.

That said, I’m curious about what those old classes were; the three footmen classes are puzzling. Seems like a lightly armored Maceman, a Man-at-arms, and a second Maceman that resembles our current Agathian MaA model.

• The knight description. “Mess with this dude and you are screwed.” WTF? Early EARLY stuff it looks like… lol.

• I have no idea if the original plan was to make the classes similar to AoC, but if so it would explain the 3 light and 3 heavy infantry classes.

AoC had:

The Man-at-Arms, armed with a broadsword - no dodge, but ridiculously fast - and AoC had no chase mechanic and drastically different movement speeds, so he could run circles around any other class and rush objectives without the defenders being able to catch him.

The Sergeant, armed with a mace - my favorite class, and the classic facehugger. Not quite as quick as the MaA, but extremely well armored for a light class (even higher armor than the lightest knight class) and with the fastest but shortest primary weapon. Knowing for being extremely underused for a long time - basically just me and gB - until everyone caught on to how OP he was.

The Guardsman, who had average armor and speed but came equipped with a halberd, which was the longest range and hardest hitting weapon in the game, capable of one shotting most classes if you poked them in the face with it.

The Crusader, the most lightly armored of the knight classes, with a longsword usable one or two handed, by far the most popular class for slashspammers and most frequent source of TKs.

The Knight, slow and tough with the best counterattacks in the game from his flail, as well as a ridiculous stab attack that has him swinging his flail over his head in such a manner that it never actually hits anything, but generates invisible tracers all around him anyway. The first tracer starts as soon as the animation does, too, which was infuriating.

And of course the Heavy Knight, who had either a doubleaxe or maul (functionally identical in AoC) depending on your faction - the heaviest armor, slowest speed, and unable to use a shield but having the unique perk of being just as well armored against projectiles as against melee attacks, while all other classes had lower projectile armor - known for spamming overheads on you until you were out of stamina (took only a couple blocks to accomplish) or just trading hits like a dick since very few weapons could 2shot him while he could take every class with lower armor than a Knight in one.

There were also three archer classes. Longbow and crossbow were just about functionally identical except their primary weapon, but the javelineer had higher movement speed and better armor, so less things killed him instantly. He was also different from he is in Chivalry in that he had to switch between melee and ranged, and thus had 3 different attacks in melee mode, though his slash was totally useless.

• @SlyGoat:

Knowing for being extremely underused for a long time - basically just me and gB - until everyone caught on to how OP he was.

I used him too. :P

@SlyGoat:

The Guardsman, who had average armor and speed but came equipped with a halberd, which was the longest range and hardest hitting weapon in the game, capable of one shotting most classes if you poked them in the face with it.

I don’t recall the Halberd ever one-shotting anything, though it was purportedly nerfed along the way.

@SlyGoat:

The Knight, slow and tough with the best counterattacks in the game from his flail, as well as a ridiculous stab attack that has him swinging his flail over his head in such a manner that it never actually hits anything, but generates invisible tracers all around him anyway. The first tracer starts as soon as the animation does, too, which was infuriating.

If you learned how to use the Flail “Stab,” it was extremely deadly, as it actually did more damage than the Overhead, and did so instantly. The Overhead was obviously much more reliable, though.

@SlyGoat:

And of course the Heavy Knight, who had either a doubleaxe or maul (functionally identical in AoC) depending on your faction - the heaviest armor, slowest speed, and unable to use a shield but having the unique perk of being just as well armored against projectiles as against melee attacks, while all other classes had lower projectile armor - known for spamming overheads on you until you were out of stamina (took only a couple blocks to accomplish) or just trading hits like a dick since very few weapons could 2shot him while he could take every class with lower armor than a Knight in one.

I’m almost certain the Heavy Knight actually carried a Broadsword and Heater Shield, though he couldn’t one-hand the Broadsword. It was his secondary weapon.

Ahhh, the memories… I could never decide which class was my favorite; Knight, Sergeant or Javelineer. I played almost all of them. What I do miss is having both throwing weapons and a shield at the same time. I really wish that would be brought back.

• @NikolaiLev:

I don’t recall the Halberd ever one-shotting anything, though it was purportedly nerfed along the way.

When I played AoC - which is, too be honest, quite some time in the past- the Halberd’s stab would one-shot any light class, and a stab and swing would kill anything besides the Heavy Knight, which died in two stabs. I played this class the most because hit tracing always felt really wonky to me, so the huge Halberd was the only weapon I could reliably hit with^^

Helicopter Crusaders and hit trading Heavys were a pain in the arse… you even took damage when parrying :X

As to the early concept art… a bit puzzling how it lacks totally Archers and Vanguards. Many of it seems to have been scrapped when they went for less-but-customizable classes.

• Man, I miss the good old Age of Chivalry <3

• @wildwulfy:

Man, I miss the good old Age of Chivalry <3

Me too. I miss the maps quite a lot; Sorrow, that Winter one with the Commanders… I really liked the old version of Battlegrounds, too.

And that one where the last objective was saving the Prince; I forgot which one that was, but the stairway battles could get quite intense.

The CTF map with the man-tapults was awesome, too.

And then there was the village, with the civilians about to hang. No one missed that map. No one.

• I love the stylized stuff in those pictures =] Way better than the basic menus we have right now, what gives? You can’t even read the faction descriptions unless you know how to pull them up (mouseover the white arrow-thing at the bottom when selection Agatha or Mason), yet these old class “cards” have some nice description readily available it seems.

• Would the inventory be for your weapons or what? Liked the stats idea though, especially the teamkills.