Knight: Longsword vs. SOW

• I’m kinda torn between both. I’ve noticed that the Americans prefer the SOW and EU players favor the longsword (maybe an over-generalization).

So which do you prefer…and why?

(Apologies if this has been discussed) :)

• The way I see it is, if you are going to use the sword of war, you might as well use the broadsword. If you try to fight at max range with the longsword you have a big advantage when opening up with a stab. You can then feint and overhead if they get to close.

• Be a rebel, use the Messer.

• @Sir_Pink:

The way I see it is, if you are going to use the sword of war, you might as well use the broadsword. If you try to fight at max range with the longsword you have a big advantage when opening up with a stab. You can then feint and overhead if they get to close.

Quite the opposite… SoW is far superior to the longsword in every way. Longsword’s extra range is completely negligible compared to the SoW. There is absolutely no reason to ever use the longsword over the SoW. The SoW’s 75 stab and overhead with its superior speed just completely outweighs longsword’s 85 overhead and 65 stab. The only thing the longsword can do better is oneshot archers with an overhead to the head, but that’s no real reason to ever use it over the SoW.

“BUT THE LONGSWORD DOES MORE OVERHEAD DAMAGE” So? It still takes 3 hits (usually 4) to kill other knights, and 2 to kill everyone else, just like the SoW. The SoW can just do it faster and better since it 3 shots knights more consistently than longsword because of its better stab. The “time-to-kill” stat is far better on the SoW because of its better speed and stab, and the reach difference is almost non-existent.

If you’re using the longsword, use the SoW instead. You’ll do 500000000x better with it, I promise. I only use the longsword because I think it looks cooler. SoW is by far superior in every way. I guess you can left click slightly better with the longsword, but you can do that just fine with the SoW as well. The original game’s thought process between the longsword and SoW was that they considered the left click to be more impacting in the game than it is, so because SoW’s superior overhead stab combo, it’s better than the longsword. I don’t think they intended for overheads and stabs to be as used as they are.

“Time-to-kill” is extremely important in this game. SoW is superior, hands down.

• Anyone claiming SoW is way better, obviously never did a swing stab combo with Longsword. :D

Don’t get me wrong, i prefer SoW any day, but Longsword is as good or at least really close to.

It all comes down to a matter of playstyle. If you are like me and love to stab people, go for SoW. If you like swinging, Longsword should be your weapon of choice.

-VK- KONGEN
    Rank 44 - Knight

• @KONGEN:

Anyone claiming SoW is way better, obviously never did a swing stab combo with Longsword. :D

Don’t get me wrong, i prefer SoW any day, but Longsword is as good or at least really close to.

It all comes down to a matter of playstyle. If you are like me and love to stab people, go for SoW. If you like swinging, Longsword should be your weapon of choice.

-VK- KONGEN
    Rank 44 - Knight

I do lots of swings to stabs, no where near as effective or good as overhead to stab with SoW. The bonus damage with swings on longsword do not outweigh the benefits of the stabs with SoW. You should be doing a lot of stabbing with any sword in the game outside maybe falchion and messer, the game is based around stabbing. The longsword is just inferior.

• “The Sword I use is the best” - Said everyone on this forum ever

• As someone dumb enough to still be trying to get my shield to work; I’m wondering if you have any thoughts on 1h SoW vs 1h Longsword ?

• @Reginhard:

As someone dumb enough to still be trying to get my shield to work; I’m wondering if you have any thoughts on 1h SoW vs 1h Longsword ?

In my opinion: SoW wins, again.

Better stab and speed(Alt Overhead > Stab, anyone ?) are the deal-killers, especially while wielding it one hand (2-3-1-1 SoW is awesome fun!), and they are pretty much the same length.

• Is it just me or does the messer feel very weird one-handed. I love the SoW onehanded and the longsword is ok 1handed.

• Thank you Sir Pink, Mithron, Kongen….opinions all over the spectrum

Would love to hear from some of the other highly skilled players…

• @SOC:

@Sir_Pink:

The way I see it is, if you are going to use the sword of war, you might as well use the broadsword. If you try to fight at max range with the longsword you have a big advantage when opening up with a stab. You can then feint and overhead if they get to close.

Quite the opposite… SoW is far superior to the longsword in every way. Longsword’s extra range is completely negligible compared to the SoW. There is absolutely no reason to ever use the longsword over the SoW. The SoW’s 75 stab and overhead with its superior speed just completely outweighs longsword’s 85 overhead and 65 stab. The only thing the longsword can do better is oneshot archers with an overhead to the head, but that’s no real reason to ever use it over the SoW.

“Time-to-kill” is extremely important in this game. SoW is superior, hands down.

SoW and longsword have the same exact windup and combo times except for stab combo, longsword is almost unnoticably slower in release and slightly slower in recovery. You will still kill everything pretty much just as fast with longsword (and archers faster). Its more of a playstyle difference than anything, but IMO the range difference is noticable and I almost never take 4 hits to kill a knight since I dont play it like a SoW, longsword is primary overheads as you noted yourself so if you are stabbing more with it than overhead and doing less damage you are doing it wrong. HTK is unchanged. I disagree with SoW topping it it every way, I prefer longsword all day.

• Moose hit it square on the head. Both are excellent weapons. Hard to go wrong.

• It really boils down to which one feels best to you. SoW is, by stats, a more jack of trades type weapon. Longsword is slightly more specialized for Overheads.

It seems pretty clear to me. If you do more overheads than stabs, the longsword is your best bet. Personally I like the SoW more because the stabs are better. I’m a poke man. But they are both highly effective weapons and I can do well with either of them.

• I prefer longsword for I favor overheads and delayed slashes. Also the longer range feels more comfortable when fighting 1handers.

• I tend to prefer the SoW as I like to stab a lot and I like that it is a bit faster. I can do well with the Longsword as well, but the SoW seems to better fits my play style.

• you all are wrong i use the falchion on the night (no shield) and thats the best one

• @RicHSAD:

I tend to prefer the SoW as I like to stab a lot and I like that it is a bit faster. I can do well with the Longsword as well, but the SoW seems to better fits my play style.

Yes, Le Noob…I’ve fallen to your SoW many times!. ;)

• I just like the SoW’s handle guard design more 8-)

• Opening up with stab while sprinting for Stab->Overhead combo is so insanely effective with the SoW. Because of it’s extra speed compared to other 2 handers, you will almost always flinch another player trying to open with a similar combo out of sprint. That puts you 2 attacks ahead in most fights, or gives you a kill on any class but Knight as long as you hit the head in the overhead.