Make shields transparent when 3rd person is an option.

• For the sake of balance in servers, and so those who choose to play the game as it was designed, in first person, give us the option to make shields transparent when holding it in front of us. This way those who play in first person will not be at as much of a disadvantage to those who play in third person.

This could be a server/client side option, or only available in servers that allow third person as an option.

• bump

• The better solution is to remove 3rd person.

• Making them transparent would be a bit much. Just lower the first person viewmodel a bit so it doesn’t obscure your vision as much. Especially for the buckler. That thing is so badly positioned right now it takes up the full bottom-left corner of your screen and you can barely see what’s going on when you have it raised. AND it’s supposed to be the smallest shield in the game.

• Good idea OP +5 internets.

@FistiVonCuftsenhower:

The better solution is to remove 3rd person.

+10 Internets to you sir.

• Delete third person mode. Ban all people who ever used it.

• Weapons should be transparent to the defenders as well to nerf feints.

• @dudeface:

Delete third person mode. Ban all people who ever used it.

Nonononono! NO! How could we brag over the shittiness 3rd person losers if we banned them all?!

• Not a bad idea although it would take away from the realism, so I agree with lowering the shield viewpoint a bit to make it more visible. It’s like having a shield is a 1st degree felony in Chiv right now.

• @FistiVonCuftsenhower:

The better solution is to remove 3rd person.

I hate removing features. But I would actually like it. Third person does not increase variety but merely cause balance problems. At least there should be official servers limited to first person.

Transparent shields are stupid imo - but limiting sight in third person in way that others are only shown if you could see them in first person (maximum FoV) would be nice and actually add tactical options to the game.

• Servers already have the ability to disable 3rd person.

Transparent shields would just be silly, especially when it’s a CHOICE of how you play.

• But still it feels terrible to weild non-heater shields atm unless your FoV is 120, this needs to be fixed. It was better before, and more “realistic” when you didn’t have to see what your enemy was doing and only had to worry about them getting around your shield. Now you always have to have your eye on the enemy in case they initiate a kick, because that somehow dazes you for 2 seconds.

• @BobT36:

Servers already have the ability to disable 3rd person.

Transparent shields would just be silly, especially when it’s a CHOICE of how you play.

And one of those choices puts you at a huge disadvantage. How is it silly if it levels the playing field making it more fair for those who want to play the game as it was intended?

• If you’re after a tournament style fully “fair” battle, simply play on a server with it disabled?

Otherwise you can switch to third for a quick look-around yourself if need be.

The option is already there. (For the record I use 1st person).

Adjustments to shield view in 1st person (especially the buckler which is huge) will be coming in the balance patch I believe.

• @BobT36:

If you’re after a tournament style fully “fair” battle, simply play on a server with it disabled?

Otherwise you can switch to third for a quick look-around yourself if need be.

The option is already there. (For the record I use 1st person).

Adjustments to shield view in 1st person (especially the buckler which is huge) will be coming in the balance patch I believe.

If i want to play on a fair server, i am forced to play with a ping of 260, so that isn’t an option. The ideal solution would be to remove third person, something that changes game balance so much and gives you eyes on the back of your head in a game that strives for realism doesn’t make much sense.

• I think arcadey fun and immersive battles were the focus, not realism.

Tis unfair to take that fun away from EVERYONE (or at least those who enjoy playing in that viewmode) just because a few do not like it and want tournament level play. It doesn’t give THAT much of an advantage. If you’re competent enough you should be able to take on anyone using 3rd person.

As I said the option is already there to disable it on servers for serious play. (Official Servers aren’t really geared around that). Tis not the fault of the game or anyone else if there’s no 1st person only ones near. Run one maybe?

• A few have already mentioned that the solution would be as harsh as removing the Thirdperson from the game, I wouldn’t see that as a way to solve / fix the problem. From where the difference between First and Thirdperson does matter a great deal, we have already decided to disable the thirdperson function to prevent it being abusive, but to make a fair play between a firstperson shield-user and a thirdperson shield-user in public games, the solution could be as simple if they added a sprite that would cover up certain part of the screen, making the shield transparent in Firstperson would really take away a huge disadvantage with shield which I believe would make no sense.

• @wildwulfy:

A few have already mentioned that the solution would be as harsh as removing the Thirdperson from the game, I wouldn’t see that as a way to solve / fix the problem, for in high comeptive matches where the difference from First and Thirdperson does matter a great deal, we have already disabled that function, but to make a fair play between a firstperson shield-user and a thirdperson shield-user in public games, the solution could be as simple if they added a sprite that would cover up certain part of the screen, making the shield transparent in Firstperson would really take away a huge disadvantage with shield which I believe would make no sense.

A disadvantage that is completely counteracted by using third person.

• Remove 3rd person and make the buckler block less of your view! -> fixed!

• Invisible shields nah; say it out loud, it’s silly.

As a shield knight I played 600+ hours in 3rd person before the powers that be decided that all competitive play must be in 1st person. Having made the switch I’m not looking back; 1st person is much better, admittedly it took a lot of getting used to. The shield kick stun and stamina drain put an end constant shield up tactics and imo the game is better for it.

If you want to see whats going on lower your shield.