Holding parry.

• In short, holding parry,ie replacing it with the shield mechanic+speedbonus(winduptime reduction), will fix, I wanna say, 70-80% of chivalry’s current issues, and ontop of that, it’s a very easy-to-implement fix. I’ve played to rank 40, melee, third person, w/out shields and over a month since then, first person, w/shield. The shield mechanic is much more fluid and accurate, There are still times when you know that block should of landed but it’s nowhere near as questionable as with parry.
    By hold parry, you could say shields would be useless but I would disagree. It gives a good advantage over archers and balances it with limited vision.
    Replacing parry with the shield mechanics would also solve the feint debate. Feinting is a fun mechanic of duels and helps advanced players overcome 2v1s and such, as well as prevents friendly fire and makes the game more fluid, as long as there is a defense against it. With parry currently you just have to guess and watch helplessly as you get feinted on, with the shield mechanic all that’s gone. It’s a much more twitch and skill based fight, in my opinion. dat is all…

edit; i suggest make parry cost stam, and drain stam to hold, likea shield does but more. This would give endurance advantage +archer protection for shield users. Speed bonus for parriers + they can see if you fient, shields it gets rough to see what your enemy is doing… Plus shields you can block multiple attacks at once, huge advantage right there…it’s so obvious. parrys shouldn’t be indefinite. i’d say they should last maybe two times the length ofa 2hd swing or until parried, flinched or released.
    -šµm sad o|d park rangeR

• I’m not too sure that would be wise to implement ingame.

It’s a desired mechanic that shields get the advantage of being able to be hold.

If that would to be allowed on parrying with weapons the shield would tottaly get useless, in exception with the archer situation (even though I zig-zag rush on archers).

Wasn’t for this the feint wouldn’t make sense, just for canceling eminent friendly fire, which sometimes it doesn’t cancel! (so you just gotta turn your cursor away from your ally’s face).

I see your point that it is heavily used on 1x1 or even 2x1 situations, but I think that polishes the game little bit, from the standart player that just charges in a fight and swings his weapon around like a rabbid dog.

• @Frostgore:

I’m not too sure that would be wise to implement ingame.

It’s a desired mechanic that shields get the advantage of being able to be hold.

If that would to be allowed on parrying with weapons the shield would tottaly get useless, in exception with the archer situation (even though I zig-zag rush on archers).

Wasn’t for this the feint wouldn’t make sense, just for canceling eminent friendly fire, which sometimes it doesn’t cancel! (so you just gotta turn your cursor away from your ally’s face).

I see your point that it is heavily used on 1x1 or even 2x1 situations, but I think that polishes the game little bit, from the standart player that just charges in a fight and swings his weapon around like a rabbid dog.

Holding parry would not make feints useless, it’s about position and footwork. You could wideswing->feint->altswing or watnot. Feint would still be a skillbased mechanic, and used as only that. The game would be so much better. I think a little later, when parry/feinting isn’t broken, we could work on making parry rely more on skill, position and timing and reward it with an even faster counter-attacks or somethin along those lines.

Currently i only suggest a quick fix to a broken mechanic.

• Now that you put it that way it does sound interesting the machanics you suggest. This could improve the gameplay.

• I think it would lower the skill level of parries and so it would change the game considerably - not sure that would be good.

But I guess it depends on how longer you can hold the parry.

• it can’t be that hard to implement. Do a beta, skilled players will try it n love it. new plays will feel more fluid.

• it could make for some new fighting styles too, for example: Knight 1 starts an overhead, Knight 2 parrys and the swords connect. Then they stand there, swords connected, as Knight 2’s stamina slowly drains, he needs to make a move fast or his stamina will be depleted……

In movies, you can often see this kind of ‘standoff’ and i would really like to have that in-game, if it is possible of course :D

• @Woodzi:

it could make for some new fighting styles too, for example: Knight 1 starts an overhead, Knight 2 parrys and the swords connect. Then they stand there, swords connected, as Knight 2’s stamina slowly drains, he needs to make a move fast or his stamina will be depleted……

In movies, you can often see this kind of ‘standoff’ and i would really like to have that in-game, if it is possible of course :D

totally no. thats just queer. Other then that im fin with this idea. will certainly improve the current situation of new players learning to lmb mash and look down before they work their footing and timing.

• @User:

@Woodzi:

it could make for some new fighting styles too, for example: Knight 1 starts an overhead, Knight 2 parrys and the swords connect. Then they stand there, swords connected, as Knight 2’s stamina slowly drains, he needs to make a move fast or his stamina will be depleted……

totally no. thats just queer. Other then that im fin with this idea. will certainly improve the current situation of new players learning to lmb mash and look down before they work their footing and timing.

haha just me getting carried away :D

• It’s hardly a PARRY if you hold it up….

Kinda the point of shields is that you can hold it, (as well as projectile blocking).

I’d hate for holding parries to be in, they should be skillfully timed, not where anyone can run around with them held up.

If you could hold parries up, we’d need more directional attacks to compensate.

• @BobT36:

It’s hardly a PARRY if you hold it up….

Kinda the point of shields is that you can hold it, (as well as projectile blocking).

I’d hate for holding parries to be in, they should be skillfully timed, not where anyone can run around with them held up.

If you could hold parries up, we’d need more directional attacks to compensate.

attacks are directional as is, A shield is op, it has no drawbacks. all it doesnt have is windup time bonus, if you can see past it.

And it still would be about timing, more about timing actually. Parry shouldn’t be as hard as it is currently. It’s much too easy to swing as apposed to the skill required to land a Parry . Holding parry forces the player to be more squirrelly, use footwork, timing and aim, the sht that’s fun about chivalry,to get into or outta a situation. This would totally fix this game.

i don’t see where it still wouldn’t be a parry… and this is a game, not r/l, and it needs balance…

• I would make the parry a seperate function in the fact that its on a timer. Maybe 1.5 or 2 seconds might be fair and if you are worried about the technicality of the term parry we can just change the term to deflection to satisfy your desire. You could just release the right click to drop the deflection at any time… Maybe a little meter to display the time you have up on it…

Also i would make shields a little different. Maybe make it so they are like real shields in the fact that they are effective no matter if the gaurd is up or if its on their back, it shouldnt be some thing you can just stab through because its not up… But in that same sentence i would also make the shield make the character with a shield a tad slower… And i would also have it reduce the range of attack on things like the LMB and the back swing I would probably even eliminate. Just make it more realistic overall… I think the more life-like you can make it the better off the game will be in every dimension.

• It will fix 70-80% of all of chivalrys current mechanic problems I completely agree with that.

But it will cause 100% more problems as skill has left the building and no one would be able to hit each other at all.

• @lemonater47:

It will fix 70-80% of all of chivalrys current mechanic problems I completely agree with that.

But it will cause 100% more problems as skill has left the building and no one would be able to hit each other at all.

i won’t disagree that it will prompt players to refine their own style, but i feel with footwork, skill and a lil’ getting used to, fights will still be fun, funner in fact, fast and skill based. Every player will still feel vulnerable, and deaths would be more deserved and allows the player more survival options, but only if played correctly. This idea would work given the chance, i have no doubt. My 1k+ hours playing chiv tell me this. A beta would slaughter this debate w/ no survivors;)
    a simple hold parry fix will satisfy the community as a whole, giving breathing-room for devs to work on things that need a lil more time, detail and balance. Maybe like making shield users slower but actually use the shield mechanic on back/side n such, like killendel said.

p.s. …for the orderR…