Quarterstaff problems

• Greetings everyone,

First of all i would like to say i enjoy playing this game, and i’ve played this for 125 hours long.
    So after playing a long time i’ve been using this unique weapon called “Quarterstaff” and i must say i’m pretty good at it, knowing every strikes you can do as the MAA.
    So i’m here telling that the quarterstaff has a few issues in chivalry medieval warfare.
    I’m not really great at explaining, so i rather make a list of negative things. Let me tell you what i have experienced with the quarterstaff a long time since the recent patch.

So what exactly is the Quarterstaff?

• Quarterstaff is a "Primary"weapon for the MAA, and it’s actually a light, fast, flexible stick to fight against the enemies.

Ok, So what is wrong with this weapon?/ Whats the main problem?

• It’s useless in gamemodes such as: Team Objective, Free for all mode.

• The Quarterstaff’s combos are pretty slow and aren’t really fast when doing this.

• Quarterstaff has limit choices for you like, Swing, Overhead, Stab.

• Quarterstaff overall isn’t fast enough.

• To many stamina drains when striking with the quarterstaff.

So what are your suggestions o make this staff better?

• Increasing slightly more speed of the quarterstaff.

• Increasing the speed of the combo swing.

• Increasing the reach a slight bit more.

• Less draining from the stamina while using the staff.

• Increasing slighty bit of the damage of the quarterstaff. (IS not really the issue but it is possible)

• An unique staff needs new unique moves? (Probably will not pass)

What? I don’t agree with this! You probably just can’t play with the quarterstaff!

What i’ve said, I play with this weapon everytime whenever i play the game, i was starting to like this weapon when the recent patch came out, lately, i don’t see alot of players using the staff recently.
    So here is a chance to tell why there are some issues, i’m telling that this staff just needs to get "slightly " buffed up. A staff is a very light weapon and i’m not pleased what it is right now, It just misses something and i hope some of these issues will get fixed. If this staff gets more speed, ill already be happy enough….

Thanks for reading, I hope you’ll understand this.

• @Sn-Ninja:

• Increasing slighty bit of the damage of the quarterstaff. (IS not really the issue but it is possible)

If you did all that it would be overpowered.

I would be happy just with increased reach - since it is a staff it should have a decent reach.

• You know that the Staff increases the MAA’s dodge speed right?
    you see someone dodge with the Staff and it looks like they’re teleporting
    that is why it is such a crappy weapon

does that make it balanced?
    I don’t know, it’s still pretty crappy

• I know a fair number of very adept quarterstaff users. I don’t really believe this weapon needs any changes.

• @Dick:

I know a fair number of very adept quarterstaff users. I don’t really believe this weapon needs any changes.

I’ve never met anyone rank 30 or above willing to use the Staff past it’s novelty

• Range buff would be perfect as right now to me it just feels like a weak broadsword, requiring same or more HTK than broad while being just about same range. A slight range increase would possibly make it a somewhat speedy weapon with some extra range over other weapons maa has, and the staff might actually see some more use, as right now I rarely see it used and have no plans to use it again.

• @BB:

@Dick:

I know a fair number of very adept quarterstaff users. I don’t really believe this weapon needs any changes.

I’ve never met anyone rank 30 or above willing to use the Staff past it’s novelty

I don’t know anyone who would select it as a main either, but I don’t read that much into it. Some weapons just aren’t terribly popular, even if they’re good. There’s nothing wrong with the polehammer, yet it goes largely untouched. How often do you see a bearded axe, either?

• @Dick:

There’s nothing wrong with the polehammer, yet it goes largely untouched.

the Polehammer is pretty bland, and not really good at anything
    the Bardiche is faster and hits harder, the only thing the Polehammer has over it is it’s superior stab

@Dick:

How often do you see a bearded axe, either?

all the time, it’s pretty much a favorite for higher up Knights
    shits almost OP

point is, people use good weapons, and don’t use bad ones

but more on point the Staff is a wily weapon to balance
    it can be incredibly cheap with it’s teleportation dodges, so I’m not even sure if it needs a buff
    not my playstyle though

• @gregcau:

@Sn-Ninja:

I would be happy just with increased reach - since it is a staff it should have a decent reach.

Beat me to it. My only gripe with the Qstaff is that I often think I am in range when I’m not. A buff to the range would be the only improvement the Qstaff needs.

Oh, and less stamina drain. The combo drain is awful for a class that needs stamina to stay alive. The consumption needs to be halved, since it seems to be almost double every other MAA weapon.

• If you got staff problems i feel bad for you son, i got 99 problems but a stick ain’t one

• @clayton-bigsby:

If you got staff problems i feel bad for you son, i got 99 problems but a stick ain’t one

Uhh….nice ryhme? I guess?

@gregcau:

I just tell every issue i can tell whats wrong with it. I’m not really telling everything in my list needs to be fixed, I just hope some of these will get fixed. What i said: ill be happy enough if only the speed of the Q-staff is slightly faster. Thats all.

@Dick:

But there are players above rank 30 and knows the whole swing attacks of the Q-staff, if someone knows how to block this weapon, then the Q-staff is actually no use anymore and will be useless. So perhaps slightly bit more speed for this staff is enough for this weapon, RIght? It’s isn’t really hard either to block the q-staff, just practice and you’ll know what i mean.

@BB:

@Dick:

Correct, Probably because most of them don’t use because of the weakness of the weapon. I sometimes see them in a duel, but mostly they will not play it seriously. I’ve never seen people use the staff in FFA or Team objective mode.

@Anonymoose:

Range buff would be perfect as right now to me it just feels like a weak broadsword, requiring same or more HTK than broad while being just about same range. A slight range increase would possibly make it a somewhat speedy weapon with some extra range over other weapons maa has, and the staff might actually see some more use, as right now I rarely see it used and have no plans to use it again.

I fully agree with you! It’s actually weak! More reach and more speed and the sun will rise!

@Dick:

I don’t know anyone who would select it as a main either, but I don’t read that much into it. Some weapons just aren’t terribly popular, even if they’re good. There’s nothing wrong with the polehammer, yet it goes largely untouched. How often do you see a bearded axe, either?

I do! I use the staff in every round, every game mode i play in! Makes it a bit special you know? Unique.

@BB:

but more on point the Staff is a wily weapon to balance
    it can be incredibly cheap with it’s teleportation dodges, so I’m not even sure if it needs a buff
    not my playstyle though

I think it needs a slightly buff, and the speed needs to be faster since its a “light stick”.

• I thought that the quarterstaff also gave less distance for the dodge. And is the dodge even all that much faster? I’ve tried and it only seems slightly faster. I think it also needs slight or moderate speed and reach buffs. Apparently those spikes on the ends of the quarterstaff don’t even do anything. It only has blunt damage while it should have piercing and blunt.

• I thought that the quarterstaff also gave less distance for the dodge. And is the dodge even all that much faster? I’ve tried and it only seems slightly faster. I think it also needs slight or moderate speed and reach buffs. Apparently those spikes on the ends of the quarterstaff don’t even do anything. It only has blunt damage while it should have piercing and blunt.

• Just had a round playing with an enemy MAA, he had shortsword and his swings are faster than th Q-staff. Seriously? I think the staff has to be faster though. It really needs more speed.

• @Cake_and_Iguanas:

And is the dodge even all that much faster? I’ve tried and it only seems slightly faster.

you need to watch another MAA with the staff do it to truly appreciate how much of an instant transition this is

• I was doing pretty well with it actually. I decided to try it out in a duel server and I wound up 7-0 by the time the game ended just using the staff. I think it’s main advantage is in how hard it is to read the swings.

• @Oy:

I was doing pretty well with it actually. I decided to try it out in a duel server and I wound up 7-0 by the time the game ended just using the staff. I think it’s main advantage is in how hard it is to read the swings.

That’s just luck most of the time. If you see a rank 30 or higher, you’ll get screwed, since they know how to block it. So if one of them knows the whole movement of the staff, then the staff is worthless.

• @Sn-Ninja:

@Oy:

I was doing pretty well with it actually. I decided to try it out in a duel server and I wound up 7-0 by the time the game ended just using the staff. I think it’s main advantage is in how hard it is to read the swings.

That’s just luck most of the time. If you see a rank 30 or higher, you’ll get screwed, since they know how to block it. So if one of them knows the whole movement of the staff, then the staff is worthless.

I was playing a guy named Falco in a duel server a couple of days ago, he’s rank 39 and uses kite shield and flanged mace for knight. He’s incredibly hard to beat a lot of the time, mostly due to the instant stab on flanged mace, and combo feints, yet I beat him with quarter staff 4 or 5 times, 3 duels in total.
    Sure, I was able to beat him easier with other weapons, but that’s mostly due to maa’s weakness, not the weapon itself. I can pretty much rape most people with the staff. How? Not only is the dodge like teleporting, but the Maa runs very fast with sprint, especially in close range, and if you just run up and attack from different angles and strafe side to side, it’s actually a very hard weapon to block when you combine its deceptive animations with mouse-dragging. It’s common for me to run up to someone and hit them 3-5 times consecutively, mortally wounding or killing them outright, as they try to throw parries around futilely. Even if I don’t land a bunch of hits, or this specific guy is really good at blocking, I can duck, sprint away and turn back, dodge, or even block his attacks, and then punish his misses. The swipes are wide and quick if you turn to the side as you attack, the overheads are hard to block and get through blocks well if you jump-attack, and the stab has great range/damage/speed. Quarterstaff has a real ninja playstyle that you have to adapt to if you want to do well with this weapon, but it is possible, it’s just a hard weapon to get good with, especially do to it’s low range and Maa’s low health.

• @Oy:

Sure, I was able to beat him easier with other weapons

But, but sounds like you can defeat people with any MAA weapon. But lets face it the Quarterstaff sucks. All I want is more reach as befitting what one would expect from swinging a long ass staff.