Chivalry balance in a nutshell:

• Prior to patch, Knight was king with an almost impenetrable shield and high hp. 2 handers were very prevalent as well. Maa’s had no room for error and were the rarest class to encounter even in duels.

Game balance score: -5

Post patch: Maa is king in duels, with face hugging and abuse of the animation system leading to lighting fast almost impossible to block swings. 1 handers kill about as, if not more efficiently than 2 handers, along with their old perk of being light years faster, thanks to the fiddling done with hp. Shield is more of a hindrance than help in melee range.

Game balance score: -5

Notice how the game balance score, computed via the most rigorous game balance algorithm, hasn’t changed at all after the first game update, its because torn banner’s balance decisions are always extreme, and they always over buff and over nerf things, usually in the form of nerfing something and then buffing its competition. Also the patch significantly “sped the game up” with changes to hp making everyone other than maa die faster, this is not a good change, smart intelligent fights should last long, the shorter the fight, the more random it is. Maa should have just gotten an independent buff, like an increased stamina pool…

• Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t the MaA always the “king of duels”? Hence making a lot of what you said just wrong?

MaA was still much stronger than the Knight before the new content update in my opinion. Honestly, all this topic sounds like is you bitching about MaA, no?

• @DokB:

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t the MaA always the “king of duels”? Hence making a lot of what you said just wrong?

MaA was still much stronger than the Knight before the new content update in my opinion. Honestly, all this topic sounds like is you bitching about MaA, no?

With my shield prior CU1, I could duel any MAA and beat them 4/5 times. But now without my shield for protection, MAA is where it always was vs no shield users, a very dangerous monster. Balances out more in teamplay IMO. But I don’t mind one class being superior in certain regards to others. If you watch comp play, knights are still the backbone of teams.

• @ChuckingIt:

@DokB:

Correct me if I’m wrong but wasn’t the MaA always the “king of duels”? Hence making a lot of what you said just wrong?

With my shield prior CU1, I could duel any MAA and beat them 4/5 times. But now without my shield for protection, MAA is where it always was vs no shield users, a very dangerous monster. Balances out more in teamplay IMO. But I don’t mind one class being superior in certain regards to others. If you watch comp play, knights are still the backbone of teams.

Exactly this. With the new shield kick, it promotes less turtling behind the shield and it pushes fights more towards shields slung on back or simply not equipped at all. Good Knights can still contend very well against good MaA’s I’ve found, it relies on the Knight pushing aggressively however and not giving the MaA any chance to dance.

But again, MaA has always been the best 1v1 class. Vindicating the MaA because of “face hugging” which can be done by anyone, not to mention it is purely the the fault of how this game is designed and not the class itself is just plain wrong.

I really wish people would get off the back of the MaA when it’s the fault of the game and not the class itself.

• Prior to the patch a good maa could beat basically everyone 1v1, though there was NO ROOM FOR ERROR. Absolutely none. Maa was also very bad for game modes like Team Objective, it specialized in 1v1’s and nothing else. A knight with a bastard sword or something could outcamp everything.

Now in 1v1’s, MAA’s kill faster and die at the same rate as before, so they still die really fast, but so does everyone else, except everyone else can’t dodge or facehug nearly as well.

• @theuprising:

Prior to the patch a good maa could beat basically everyone 1v1, though there was NO ROOM FOR ERROR. Absolutely none.

Yes absolutely none because people would not always flinch and so a knight could weather the storm and hit trade.

Now the knight flinches much better so MAAs got a boost.

And yeah the parrying failing due to bugs is annoying as hell but hopefully much better post this coming patch.

• @theuprising:

Prior to the patch a good maa could beat basically everyone 1v1, though there was NO ROOM FOR ERROR. Absolutely none. Maa was also very bad for game modes like Team Objective, it specialized in 1v1’s and nothing else. A knight with a bastard sword or something could outcamp everything.

Now in 1v1’s, MAA’s kill faster and die at the same rate as before, so they still die really fast, but so does everyone else, except everyone else can’t dodge or facehug nearly as well.

I disagree. I always did well with MaA in TO before update (once I got the hang of the class I mean). I don’t understand what you mean by people dying just as fast as an MaA. AFAIK, the armor rating on the MaA against blunt weapons was the only thing that has really changed in that regard, they still die in 1-2 hits from most weapons, 3 against some or including leg shots.

• Forgot to mention the archer buffs… the archer didn’t need buffs it needed a deletion from the game or a rework.

• @DokB:

@theuprising:

Prior to the patch a good maa could beat basically everyone 1v1, though there was NO ROOM FOR ERROR. Absolutely none. Maa was also very bad for game modes like Team Objective, it specialized in 1v1’s and nothing else. A knight with a bastard sword or something could outcamp everything.

I disagree. I always did well with MaA in TO before update (once I got the hang of the class I mean). I don’t understand what you mean by people dying just as fast as an MaA. AFAIK, the armor rating on the MaA against blunt weapons was the only thing that has really changed in that regard, they still die in 1-2 hits from most weapons, 3 against some or including leg shots.

I swear as knight health got nerfed, 1 handers are killing me far faster than before and I’m taking much more damage from everything. And even if I die from something with the same amount of hits as before, I’ll be at much lower health right before I kick the bucket than prior to the patch.

• @theuprising:

I swear as knight health got nerfed, 1 handers are killing me far faster than before and I’m taking much more damage from everything. And even if I die from something with the same amount of hits as before, I’ll be at much lower health right before I kick the bucket than prior to the patch.

Maybe you are being hit a lot more in the head? What MaA weapon’s are you dying to alot? I know the Dane Axe can mince a Knight with a few consecutive hits to the noggin.

I highly, highly doubt that the health was changed at all. But then again, It’s been a while since I read the patch notes so of course I could be wrong. Anyone want to step in and clarify whether HP was changed at all? I only remember ever seeing armor resistances/damage scalings on different weapons being changed.

Forgot to mention the archer buffs… the archer didn’t need buffs it needed a deletion from the game or a rework.

Okay… Please don’t tell me I’m not wasting my time with a troll. Are you really serious about this archer thing?

• @DokB:

@theuprising:

Maybe you are being hit a lot more in the head? What MaA weapon’s are you dying to alot? I know the Dane Axe can mince a Knight with a few consecutive hits to the noggin.

I highly, highly doubt that the health was changed at all. But then again, It’s been a while since I read the patch notes so of course I could be wrong. Anyone want to step in and clarify whether HP was changed at all? I only remember ever seeing armor resistances/damage scalings on different weapons being changed.

Forgot to mention the archer buffs… the archer didn’t need buffs it needed a deletion from the game or a rework.

Okay… Please don’t tell me I’m not wasting my time with a troll. Are you really serious about this archer thing?

In a melee centric game where 1 class has literally no defense against ranged, why the hell would you have an archer that can kite everyone forever and kills ppl before they pull their sword out of their hilt? And can now 2-3 shot ppl…

• @theuprising:

@DokB:

@theuprising:

In a melee centric game where 1 class has literally no defense against ranged, why the hell would you have an archer that can kite everyone forever and kills ppl before they pull their sword out of their hilt? And can now 2-3 shot ppl…

Want to give me the name of the class that has no defense against archers? Far as I can tell, the only plausible class that has little defense against archers would be Vanguards but they have smoke pots which are great, as well as being powerhouses in combat which balances out there relatively weaker defense due to not having a proper shield.

If the archer hits you, then good on him, it’s really hard to do well as archer and even hit people and kill them with a lot of the bows (save the siege crossbow or the warbow but that’s another issue).

The archer is made of paper, remember that when you are fighting in a melee duel with him. Sure, his cudgel is fast and does some very good damage for it’s speed and having an average reach, but again, this balances out against him dying if you so much as sneeze at him.

• To be honest, right now, I think Maa and other classes are kinda balanced because of all the glitches of the game. Being a melee class with fast attacks, fast combo’s, fast movements and low HP, the Maa suffers the most of those glitches. I personnaly use combo’s all the time and I experience unwanted attack queuing with almost every ennemy that I fight. Lets say 95% of the time… no joke :| I even have to always keep one finger on the feint button to cancel those queuing attacks… And then I hear that Maa’s don’t have room for errors… hehe
    Anyways, I don’t know about the other MAA players outhere but for me, if TB manage to fix the unwanted attacks queuing, the fail 2cm back dodge, the no flinch + ghost attack situations and finally the desync attacks… I feel like … yes then maybe the classes balance should be reworked because the Maa… at least I would rule this game … muhahahHAHAHAHAHA :x

Ok let’s be serious… TB will never manage to fix ALL those bugs anyway… As every company, especially small ones, they can’t waste their time on a game that won’t make alot of profit anymore… I hope i’m wrong though…

But the game system tracing all the attacks etc… is very very interesting and attractive… I’m sorry for TB but I wish a bigger company would take this system and release a real game…

• @DokB:

Want to give me the name of the class that has no defense against archers? Far as I can tell, the only plausible class that has little defense against archers would be Vanguards but they have smoke pots which are great, as well as being powerhouses in combat which balances out there relatively weaker defense due to not having a proper shield.

If the archer hits you, then good on him, it’s really hard to do well as archer and even hit people and kill them with a lot of the bows (save the siege crossbow or the warbow but that’s another issue).

The archer is made of paper, remember that when you are fighting in a melee duel with him. Sure, his cudgel is fast and does some very good damage for it’s speed and having an average reach, but again, this balances out against him dying if you so much as sneeze at him.

GL getting to the archer as he has the highest run speed in the game and can retreat to his knight friends once u get to him.

Also the Vangaurd dies in as many hits as the maa against basically everything other than 1 handed blunt/piercing weapons, they survive 3 hits of that. So they are functionally around as squishy as an maa but are slower and don’t have the ability dodge. And they can’t shield v archers.

• @theuprising:

GL getting to the archer as he has the highest run speed in the game and can retreat to his knight friends once u get to him.

Also the Vangaurd dies in as many hits as the maa against basically everything other than 1 handed blunt/piercing weapons, they survive 3 hits of that. So they are functionally around as squishy as an maa but are slower and don’t have the ability dodge. And they can’t shield v archers.

You mean the archer is aware of his surroundings and is smart enough to retreat to his friends where he is objectively weaker when in melee with someone? That’s hardly a reason to find fault with. And if you close the distance with him and manage to engage in melee with him, no matter how fast he runs the chase mechanic will allow you to catch up if he turns tail and runs.

It doesn’t matter how you look at it when it comes to Vanguard, they are simply more tanky (higher res.) than MaA and they have a different skillset completely. They are designed around crowd control and covering large areas with large sweeping, heavy hitting attacks. Something that the MaA will never ever have. MaA specializes in quick 1v1 encounters and high mobility. What I’m trying to say is, don’t look at their resistances as much, look at their skill set and what weapons they have at their disposal.

Different roles, different weapons. All classes are good in some areas and weaker in others. While there shouldn’t be a class that excels at everything, there shouldn’t also be an even ground where all classes can perform the same role, this makes the game stale and boring, lacking diversity.

• @theuprising:

And yet when I switch to Vanguard despite having played it least, I get much higher kills in TO. Because I just keep running and swinging that alt+polearm and it messes everyone up.

Drives me nuts I cant turn charge off though. Even if I use other attacks I will still charge if I try a LMB unless I stop.