Feints

• Are ruining the game torn banner……It is a chance mechanic that every noob is using. There should not be a chance mechanic in this game, there is no real defense against it except luck. Even in war of the roses a player can more successfully read and counter a feint but in chiv you are completely defenseless…Sort this out

• Feints are not something you can learn from and improve on because there just chance! remove it or add more penalty to it!

• Feints are actually pretty fair in the hands of noobs
    Noobs can’t accelerate attacks so it’s completely possible to wait until their attack is in the release period to block them
    That is why feints are a problem now, because players are finding they can bypass the release period, giving other players less time to react to hits, and no time to react to feints

If you are having such trouble with them OP, then you probably aren’t fighting noobs
    Or you are fighting noobs and you’re just terrible
    But to be fair I’m gonna go with the first option since noobs don’t feint

Also, you can edit posts
    And WotR is shit

• I’m getting a little tired of seeing all these feint threads in Balance blocking out more worthy discussion.

• Rather than changing feints I would like to see a NEW mechanic that is a counter to the feint.

Something that you can do that breaks you out of parry and allows you do for example punch a feinter in the face.

• hmm, lets take a look at “Balance and Game Mechanics”…oh…another thread about feints…yippie -.-"
    you really think somebody doesnt know about the complains about feinting yet?

• learn how long the weapon windups are… there ARE ways to go up against feints, its called patience and testicles. The way to go against feints is to not parry every time you see someones arm come up. If you know how long the windup is, you can wait for it and the release… that way, you do not parry as soon as their arms come up or sideways or what have you, you have to train yourself to parry at the last moment. Same with things like ducking, you duck too early, you come back up to early, ur still gonna get hit… right?

Yes, they can feint really late too and that’s unfortunate, and the only really bad thing about them.

People saying they are un-counterable, a chance thing. Its up to the one playing defense whether its chance or not. You have the opportunity to parry, or hold your ground and wait. If you flinch ur gonna get smacked, if you wait for the actual attack … then you’ve learned something.

I’m currently training myself to read feints and while i’m still getting hit a lot, not nearly as much as before and i’m not falling for feints quite as often. It’s definitely a skill for watching for them but… it can be done. So stop saying it cant’… and i swear to god if somone makes another feint thread i’m going to shoot them with my sr40 through my monitor and hope it hits you in the left eyeball… to throw off depth perception.

It’s like ppl are making new feint threads because they don’t feel like reading 70 some pages of feint argument. Theres enough arguments… there are NO points you can make now that haven’t already been said. Just stop arguing about feints, i think we have a good idea of what a fix could be… please just staaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahp… it’s over. The devs will make some fixes later, we’ll all get to test them out and see how we like it… just WAIT FOR IT… .BE PATIENT LIKE YOU SHOULD BE WHEN GETTING FEINTED AGAINST. This is all ur problems, no freaking patience. Thats why ur getting owned by feints… that and you are newer at the game than you think.

• @clayton:

just WAIT FOR IT… .BE PATIENT LIKE YOU SHOULD BE WHEN GETTING FEINTED AGAINST.

Don’t listen to this dude, he’s crazy. Or rather, he’s talking pubstomping 101 where everybody feints super early and it won’t help you at all against good players taking advantage of feinting.

Piss on patience, and the next time you see your opponent come at you to attack, completely ignore the fact that you even have parry (because trusting parry is what’s getting you killed - parry is a trap option for noobs) and charge headfirst into it with an attack of your own.

• Since holding down shift will keep you running now there is less need for parrying, much more opportunity for dancing, and kiting. Backpedaling, parrying and falling for feints should be less of an issue.

Now if they prevented the ability to feint while you were sprinting I think that would nerf feints enough…

• @gregcau:

Since holding down shift will keep you running now there is less need for parrying, much more opportunity for dancing, and kiting. Backpedaling, parrying and falling for feints should be less of an issue.

Now if they prevented the ability to feint while you were sprinting I think that would nerf feints enough…

Stealth nerfing parry out of the game is not a good way for a game about medieval swordfighting to go.

• @DSMatticus:

Stealth nerfing parry out of the game is not a good way for a game about medieval swordfighting to go.

I hear you, ideally there should be a counter to the feint that requires skill, but I have not heard of a good idea yet.

• The definition of feinting is to throw off your parry time by forcing your opponent to block early. In my opinion a good solution is to make you only able to cancel the attack only in the first half of the windup. With this if you take care to not react instantly any attack, you’ll have a good chance to figure out if it’s a feint or not.

• just leave feinting as it is, metal bashing weapons all day would make this game boring.

+KoC+ Tau

• most weapons need to have their feint numbers decreased so you can actually learn to read if its a windup or a feint

• there are certain weapons where you CANNOT judge the feint, i agree and it has to do with the ability to feint throughout the windup. Some weapons have such a long windup, that even if you were to try to wait for the grunt, the attack can feint it soooo late that it still will connect. They’d only be lucky to get the 2nd parry off. The other thing that gets people all the time (myself included) is 1H and faster weapons, as well as secondaries. If they get within facehug range, they don’t even have to attack sometimes, they just stand in your face a second, if they feint, theres not much way to judge because you would be stupid sometimes for not parrying. Since the attacks come so fast, trying to judge at that closeness is impractical because the swings going to come fast as shit. You try and judge it… you may still get hit waiting for it… and if you don’t judge it, you panic parry and get hit as well. Then theres the combo feints afterwards, like feinting out of the combo attack, not feint to parrying.

I honestly at this point think feinting after the first attack connects should probably get taken out of the game. Since you don’t lose any stamina when you get hits off… once somoene gets the first hit, it’s basically combo-feint to the victory… gg.

I’d like to see 2 things happen which may be the best solutions. Either reduce the window on certain weapons that you can feint. Or just take combo-feinting out. What i mean by combo feint is attack>attack>feint the 2nd attack>attack. Not feint to parry, feint to parry>counter is fucking sick and very useful esp against feinters so keep that. But those 2 solutions seem to be popular… reducing the window of feint opportunity, and idk if anyone said the other but taking combo-feints out would also be nice. Things are balanced separately for duel and like TO and other game modes tho, i’m curious to see how a change like this would affect play in the rest of the game…

• @DSMatticus:

@clayton:

just WAIT FOR IT… .BE PATIENT LIKE YOU SHOULD BE WHEN GETTING FEINTED AGAINST.

Don’t listen to this dude, he’s crazy. Or rather, he’s talking pubstomping 101 where everybody feints super early and it won’t help you at all against good players taking advantage of feinting.

Piss on patience, and the next time you see your opponent come at you to attack, completely ignore the fact that you even have parry (because trusting parry is what’s getting you killed - parry is a trap option for noobs) and charge headfirst into it with an attack of your own.

Because running at the enemy swinging is not an easy tactic to counter and thus you see the noobs getting ALLLLL the kills because that’s their one and only strategy.

I can appreciate the premise of playing aggressive, but the most important part you’re missing is playing aggressive while learning to feint-to-block like a mofo. Keep the enemy on the defensive, but when they throw out an attack, cancel yours, then wait a split second to see if it’s feinted, then block. That’s the best counter I have been able to come up with, but I don’t practice Chiv anymore to be able to get real good with it. It’s certainly hard, but better than “Just attack them, gawd”.

• @DSMatticus:

@gregcau:

Since holding down shift will keep you running now there is less need for parrying, much more opportunity for dancing, and kiting. Backpedaling, parrying and falling for feints should be less of an issue.

that’s not a nerf to parrying, that’s a buff to movement and footwork
    parrying got buffed too you know

• @BB:

@DSMatticus:

@gregcau:

that’s not a nerf to parrying, that’s a buff to movement and footwork
    parrying got buffed too you know

fixing a bug is not a buff

• semantics
    I’m calling it a buff

• @boomandvibe:

fixing a bug is not a buff

But it can be…

" - Fixed bug that caused MAA to deal reduced damage in some cases."

That’d be a buff to the class as well as a bugfix now wouldn’t it?