FIX MAN AT ARMS

• They are seriously over powered, I’ve been a big supporter of you guys for ages - But I am yet to see a fix for these buggers.

Going, 32 - 1 every game is not fun for others - especially when they play with no skill. Face hugging with an axe and being unable to hit them back is just ****ED
    Seriously guys, fix this broken ****

Falcion - Norse Axe - Hand Axe (All one handed axes) need to be fixed as well.

People say in game that most MaA’s are bad, and I shouldn’t worry. But anyone that plays MaA for a night becomes godlike. When its taken me almost two years of playing Knight/Vanguard just to be decent. Fair much? Pffft if you think so go die in a hole.

I have another matter about the Knights - Sword of War combo, But I’ll rage about that later.

I love Chivalry, I love you guys. Fix it. Please.

• start playing Van if you’re having trouble with MAAs

• @Mrdak:

They are seriously over powered

@Mrdak’s:

@Mrdak:

But I’ll rage about that later.

I don’t mean offense, but I hope you’re seeing something here. Even if you’ve got a hundred or so hours in Chivalry, you shouldn’t assume you know everything about game balance.

MaAs are powerful, and require different tactics to fight than other classes. But they are balanced. The forum is full of a wealth of information on how to defeat them; you just have to keep your mind open to the possibility that you’re less skilled than you think.

Once you’ve accepted that, and you practice, you’ll stop having problems with MaAs.

One tip I can give right now is keep your range. This can be achieved by the use of kicks, parries and pre-emptive attacks. Most MaA dodge and attack, or dodge and feint, rather than dodge and parry. If you can’t achieve this, then pull out your secondary. Your weapon will then be just as fast, and you’ll still have more armor.

If it’s any consolation, the Dane Axe and the Falchion are suspected to have some issues and are being looked at in the next patch. The others are fine, however.

• Don’t worry about it, those one-handers are fixed in this patch cause Kimi said they were working on the fixes most important to the community.

• How can you make an assumption at the playtime of any good MAA. You claim that one night of playing MAA makes you invincible. What is the source for this information?

I suspect you’ve just had a run in or two with some very good MAAs, and at high-level MAAs will dominate public games.

• Claiming MAA is the easiest class is like claiming a Spontaneous Combustion Engine is easy to assemble when you have no idea wtf you’re doing.

• Fix MAA: make it where mauls 1 shot them in torso again.

• @Slaughtervomit:

Fix MAA: make it where mauls 1 shot them in torso again.

No don’t do that.

I love the feeling of surprise each time I’m hit with a Maul and I find myself still breathing and being able to stand.

• patience my young padawan. also, how u been playing for 2 years? i thought game came out last october lol. U talking AOC or something?

get a powerful weapon… hit them once with it. They will immediately seem less threatening ;)

• @NikolaiLev:

I don’t mean offense, but I hope you’re seeing something here. Even if you’ve got a hundred or so hours in Chivalry, you shouldn’t assume you know everything about game balance.

MaAs are powerful, and require different tactics to fight than other classes. But they are balanced. The forum is full of a wealth of information on how to defeat them; you just have to keep your mind open to the possibility that you’re less skilled than you think.

Once you’ve accepted that, and you practice, you’ll stop having problems with MaAs.

One tip I can give right now is keep your range. This can be achieved by the use of kicks, parries and pre-emptive attacks. Most MaA dodge and attack, or dodge and feint, rather than dodge and parry. If you can’t achieve this, then pull out your secondary. Your weapon will then be just as fast, and you’ll still have more armor.

If it’s any consolation, the Dane Axe and the Falchion are suspected to have some issues and are being looked at in the next patch. The others are fine, however.

Keep your range you say? What a brilliant idea! With kicks? Doesn’t work - too slow, not enough range, hit detection is too awkward to be reliant anymore. With parries? Sure, until they start facehugging. Pre-emptive attacks? Usually ends up in a miss because of a dodge. And what happens when we miss, Bruce?

All of these ideas kind of suck, save for the last part about the secondary, but now you’ve lost your range and you’re playing their game without dodge.

Basically, all you’re left with is praying that they dodge into a wall or a tree. Or maybe they’ll dodge too much and run out of stamina. You’re left with the waiting game. You could get them into a hallway, I suppose, but if you’re using a 2hander that’s probably a really bad idea.

Moral of the story: there’s really nothing you can do unless you’re an MaA yourself. There’s always an answer with the other classes, but with MaA’s you’re left with dumb chance. So be smart, never engage an MaA by yourself - this is where they excel. Team up, always.

• @omg87:

Keep your range you say? What a brilliant idea! With kicks? Doesn’t work - too slow, not enough range, hit detection is too awkward to be reliant anymore. With parries? Sure, until they start facehugging. Pre-emptive attacks? Usually ends up in a miss because of a dodge. And what happens when we miss, Bruce?

It’s up to you whether you want to make it happen, or make excuses.

I have never had issues with Man-at-arms any moreso than other classes, even in high-skill environments. And until I hear some objective evidence behind the assertion that Man-at-arms is overpowered (besides Dane Axe and such, which are already being looked at), I have no reason to believe the class is too powerful.

• I see some valid points, but like the previous guy said. One v One you can’t really beat a decent MaA - Which in itself is BROKEN. Any class, should be able to kill any other class. Saying “Go in 2v1” Doesnt fix the problem.

And how do I know that one night makes you a pretty brutal MaA player? Because I’ve done it.

I have 150 Hours Gameplay, Rank 29. I’ve played MaA for about an hour of that, and I think I got more kills in that hour then a whole day with a vanguard.

Heres some ideas on how to fix these MaA problems.

1. Make their dodges more stamina heavy - thus they can’t just wait for you to swing (which they all do - feints dont work) eventually they wont be able to step and you can finally get hold of them.

2. Reduce the distance of their steps - this way when they dodge back sometimes you can clip them, and they don’t just repeat their shit.

3. Fix the forwardstep and stab - its faster then any backswing in the game, save for a dagger or shortsword. Make it so they can’t swing IMMEDIATELY after they step or even halfway through like they can now.

4. Make smaller weapons (Dagger, Shortsword, Etc) unable to block lets say a big ass maul on an overhead swing. Seriously, this is just unrealistic - let them try to dodge it rather then parry it for once.

• @Mrdak:

I see some valid points, but like the previous guy said. One v One you can’t really beat a decent MaA - Which in itself is BROKEN. Any class, should be able to kill any other class. Saying “Go in 2v1” Doesnt fix the problem.

And how do I know that one night makes you a pretty brutal MaA player? Because I’ve done it.

I have 150 Hours Gameplay, Rank 29. I’ve played MaA for about an hour of that, and I think I got more kills in that hour then a whole day with a vanguard.

Heres some ideas on how to fix these MaA problems.

1. Make their dodges more stamina heavy - thus they can’t just wait for you to swing (which they all do - feints dont work) eventually they wont be able to step and you can finally get hold of them.

2. Reduce the distance of their steps - this way when they dodge back sometimes you can clip them, and they don’t just repeat their shit.

3. Fix the forwardstep and stab - its faster then any backswing in the game, save for a dagger or shortsword. Make it so they can’t swing IMMEDIATELY after they step or even halfway through like they can now.

4. Make smaller weapons (Dagger, Shortsword, Etc) unable to block lets say a big ass maul on an overhead swing. Seriously, this is just unrealistic - let them try to dodge it rather then parry it for once.

Congratulations, you just butchered the MaA. His forte is 1v1. Nowhere else is he anywhere near as effective as the other classes.

Maybe, just MAYBE they could adjust the stamina on dodge use. But ONLY when the dodge mechanic itself is fixed where you can actually dodge properly and not get your toe stuck on a bit of uneven mesh or the 2 inch dodges.

And I’m not even gonna go near that Maul/Dagger thing simply because it’s been said and covered already elsewhere on the forum and the consensus is “gameplay>realism”.

• Honestly, my favorite change that has been suggested for the MaA is disallowing him to attack during a dodge. Letting him parry is fine, I think.

However, I would insist that the MaA would then deserve a buff somewhere else. Seeing as his armor has already recently been buffed, I don’t know how that could be implemented without buffing other classes indirectly (by buffing his primaries).

Really, on the whole I’d like dodge to be nerfed on the whole so it’s easier to deal with; it should travel slower and slightly shorter, while disallowing attacking and potentially parrying. Finally, it shouldn’t be so spammable; a cooldown between dodges of 1-2s. Then, buff him somewhere else so he still retains sufficient power to do his job. I’d say with all these dodge nerfs, the stamina cost for it should be reduced by 25%-50%.

He’d be more like other classes, so he’d be easier to deal with. Unfortunately, this does just that - it makes him more similar to classes, which is kind of bad when it comes to variety. It might still be worth it, though, for the sake of consistency.

I suppose his armor could be brought up to the level of Vanguard, on the whole having same values but having weakness to Swing instead of Pierce. So, .8 Swing, .7 Pierce, and .6 Blunt. Something like that. Then, his run and strafe speeds could be buffed by 10 or 20. Then he’s essentially a Vanguard with worse weapons but more mobility.

However, I foresee these changes as being extremely unpopular, especially by the competitive community (which tends to be even more resistant to radical changes like these). Further, there would be a big gap left between the MaA/Vanguard and Archer, which isn’t actually that bad since it’s a ranged class, and could be filled by later classes (cough cough Skirmisher :P ).

It’s on the table. But I wouldn’t expect it.

• I didn’t butcher anything. MaA (In real life) would get owned by a knight. Therefore - why is their speciality 1v1? Seems kinda stupid to me. Not to mention they fuction just fine in team fights, if not better then the other classes - due to their ability to hop in kill an injured guy, hop out and rinse and repeat.
    And yet again, they promised Realism>Gameplay - Which means a dagger couldn’t block a mauls overhand swing on the charge.
    If your done giving your opinon, without offering any idea’s, I suggest you go back to face hugging.

As NikolaiLev said. His dodge needs a nerf, as its spammable, can attack during it, can parry as well and doesnt cost as much stamina as swinging around a two hander. Any one of these things could be changed.
    I think not being able to attack while dodging is the best one. Or make it less spammable. OR at least make it cost more stamina. Either one would make a whole lot of people happy.

Seems pretty unfair when you sit back and look at it (unless you play MaA like DokB)

• @Mrdak:

I didn’t butcher anything. MaA (In real life) would get owned by a knight. Therefore - why is their speciality 1v1? Seems kinda stupid to me. Not to mention they fuction just fine in team fights, if not better then the other classes - due to their ability to hop in kill an injured guy, hop out and rinse and repeat.
    And yet again, they promised Realism>Gameplay - Which means a dagger couldn’t block a mauls overhand swing on the charge.
    If your done giving your opinon, without offering any idea’s, I suggest you go back to face hugging.

Please quote to me where the developers promised realism > gameplay. Because as far as I, and a great deal of other people on the forums know, this is completely opposite of the truth. The developers used realism as a base, and made any concessions for gameplay as they saw fit. They will continue to do so. Gameplay balance is the prime factor here. Then comes fun. If there’s room for realism afterwards, so be it.

Man-at-arms has short-ranged weaponry, which means he must get in close to their target, which usually means close to the target’s allies as well. Combine this with poor armor and you get a class that isn’t as suited to group fighting as much as others. The Vanguard has reach, while the Knight has staying power.

@Mrdak:

As NikolaiLev said. His dodge needs a nerf, as its spammable, can attack during it, can parry as well and doesnt cost as much stamina as swinging around a two hander. Any one of these things could be changed.
    I think not being able to attack while dodging is the best one. Or make it less spammable. OR at least make it cost more stamina. Either one would make a whole lot of people happy.

Seems pretty unfair when you sit back and look at it (unless you play MaA like DokB)

I never said his dodge needed a nerf. I said it might be favorable to nerf the dodge to make the class easier to deal with for newer players. But, the class is balanced, and so would need buffs if dodge was nerfed.

While dodge is powerful, you haven’t addressed the class’ poor armor and subpar weaponry compared to the other classes. Dodge is his strength, to compensate for his other weaknesses. You can make an argument that his strengths and weaknesses are too polarized, maybe. But unless you can bring to the table something profound that hasn’t been discussed before, you will convince few that the class is overpowered.

• @omg87:

Moral of the story: there’s really nothing you can do unless you’re an MaA yourself. There’s always an answer with the other classes, but with MaA’s you’re left with dumb chance. So be smart, never engage an MaA by yourself - this is where they excel. Team up, always.

haha you really shouldn’t say that
    it’s actually pretty easy to keep MAAs away

never let go of shift, and run around in a circle
    make sure you don’t use your van charge though, that’ll stop you and leave you SUPER VULNERABLE

not joking about this though
    it sounds silly but pretty much every high van with a sword or poleaxe does this

• So whining about MAA is the new flavor of the month?

• @g0dLyk:

So whining about MAA is the new flavor of the month?

It seems so, more people seem to complain about everything now, then trying to discover a counter tactic.

What tactic are you playing? Almost all MAA I have come across prefer to dodge and strike and never rely on Parrying. If you play aggressively, it shouldn’t be a problem against them at all.
    Remember you can take a lot more hits compared to an MAA, You usually only need one to throw them completely off.

• @Mrdak:

Any class, should be able to kill any other class. Saying “Go in 2v1” Doesnt fix the problem.

@Mrdak:

MaA (In real life) would get owned by a knight. Therefore - why is their speciality 1v1? Seems kinda stupid to me.

I see a paradox here.

I’m coming into this as an avid MAA player, and am pretty tired of people complaining about us. Playing MAA well is tough (at least, it took me a while to get good). I run broadsword, and need to land five hits on a knight before he keels over. If you don’t start panicking, you just need to land a two hit combo with pretty much any non-MAA primary and I’m dead. War Axe is my other often used MAA weapon, and that’s still 3 hits on Vanguard and 4 on knight.

Now let’s all move on to complaining about how archers are the scourge of the planet and should take a short walk and a long drop off the nearest broken walkway on Citadel.