Addition to Kick: Push

• @BB:

@JPA32:

but the kick nerf has effectively turned kicks into shield breakers and little more.

they’re actually talking about adding another faster kick that doesn’t break shields

I don’t know where BB got this, but it gave me an idea. Instead of trying to balance kicks for all purposes, we could add in a second maneuver that fills the role of “facehug counter” while being less of a guard breaker. Instead of being a kick, it would be a push with one’s arms/weapon.

I feel this is an effective suggestion because a kick is intuitively more forceful, while a push isn’t really a strike with anything, it’s just a shove, and so its purpose should be communicated fairly quickly.

It’s possible that instead of pushing with one’s arms, a character would Shield Bash here, while everyone (including shield users) would be able to Kick as we do now.

So, in summary, the new system would look like:

Non-shield: Kick (same as now), Push (no guard breaking, faster, no damage, more knockback)

Shield: Kick (same as old Shield Bash), New Shield Bash (same as Push above, with different animation; potentially does damage as fringe benefit)

• Yeah I suggested the same thing except mine was Headbutt.

Push seems more realistic though lol.

• I think having a push is just a waste of time. I think the solution is just to reduce the kick ‘windup’ time. I’m not really sure why its there since its pretty much an intuitive thing. The only reason i can see is that people wont abuse and spam it a-lot.

• What we’re thinking of at the moment is making kick usable for both a kick push+flinch or a slow guard break+daze. I feel this is a better addition than a separate push function for two reasons: it’s less keybinds to worry about (we already have a lot, I’d say the majority of players don’t have alternate attacks bound at all), and it saves us having to do new animations; there is no kick animation with shields so that would need to be created, and onehanders and twohanders would need different push animations. It just seems extraneous when we can make kick function for both.

Keep in mind this is something that won’t be implemented for a while, and is still subject to change.

• That would be fine - make quick kick a Tap of the F key (or whatever bind) and make the longer one a hold down the F key.

• @SlyGoat:

What we’re thinking of at the moment is making kick usable for both a kick push+flinch or a slow guard break+daze. I feel this is a better addition than a separate push function for two reasons: it’s less keybinds to worry about (we already have a lot, I’d say the majority of players don’t have alternate attacks bound at all), and it saves us having to do new animations; there is no kick animation with shields so that would need to be created, and onehanders and twohanders would need different push animations. It just seems extraneous when we can make kick function for both.

Keep in mind this is something that won’t be implemented for a while, and is still subject to change.

Well, this is the ideal I’d like to see. But it seemed to me that the team wasn’t willing to allow Kick to be that useful, so this was an alternate idea should that be the case.

I’d like to see Kick return to being useful as a push+flinch, though.

• I’d like to see a pommel/hilt bash at some point.

• Even if you adjusted the kick and made it faster it would still be UNUSABLE as a facehugging-counter.

Why?

Because right now you cannot drag your kick / bash like you can with the stab. And that´s where the kick fails because once the opponent is in your face he´s gonna run around you and there´s no way you can land your kick / bash.

My suggestion is to adjust the animations and make the kick / bash as flexible as the stab attack.

• @SlyGoat:

it saves us having to do new animations

No, it doesn’t. Making it do both creates more issues of ambiguity in attacks and animations, which really isn’t a good thing. If a function like this gets added, it really needs a distinct appearance so that people can intelligently defend and counter it. I implore you to consider the gameplay implications of “saving” that effort.