How to fix any feint complaints

• Players are frustrated the lack of fluidity in combat due to feinting. While there have been many suggestions, I made a new thread to discuss my possible solution.

My suggestion is to make sprinting more fluid with player body physics like how it was when CS Global Offensive first came out. In the first release of CS GO, you could push your teammates but they disabled that because taking cover in FPS is very important. In Chivalry, however, weaving through teammates and enemies is absolutely crucial. I think you should be able to slightly push teammates AND enemies to avoid getting stuck and dying. Also, right now the sprint gets disabled too easily. You should be able to sprint all the time as soon as you are holding sprint key. The game should automatically tap the sprint key while the button is pressed down.

How does this help with feint frustration? In higher skilled player fights, we dont wait around for enemy to get a chance to swing. We sprint around and kite and go circles around each other. This is what we mean by footwork. We rarely backpedal. This ‘kiting’ allows us to create enough distance to avoid being feinted and get a second jab at the enemy. So a less-clunky sprint and collision system will allow the combat to be more fluid.

And keep the feint as it is please.

• Sounds great

There still needs a period at the end of windups that dissables feinting though as it’s possible to hit someone the instant a weapon goes into release, giving the defender no way of telling if the attack will be a feint or not
    Like .2~ second period of disabled feinting at the end of windups

• Why not just make blocks feintable? Like, give them Windup and Release periods just like attacks. So now if you get suckered into a block, you have a flash of a moment to cancel it and reblock. It would work just like an attack, which means if your block is actually up, then you can’t feint it. Only feintable while the block is being raised.

Doesn’t that fix everything about feinting, while keeping the mechanic fully in?

• @ChuckingIt:

Why not just make blocks feintable? Like, give them Windup and Release periods just like attacks. So now if you get suckered into a block, you have a flash of a moment to cancel it and reblock. It would work just like an attack, which means if your block is actually up, then you can’t feint it. Only feintable while the block is being raised.

Doesn’t that fix everything about feinting, while keeping the mechanic fully in?

I moderators are not advising the developers. Kimi said she and Vanquish dont play anymore either.

If a block had a windup wtf - how can you block at the last minute - that is the whole premise of how blocking works.

• @elitenoob:

@ChuckingIt:

Why not just make blocks feintable? Like, give them Windup and Release periods just like attacks. So now if you get suckered into a block, you have a flash of a moment to cancel it and reblock. It would work just like an attack, which means if your block is actually up, then you can’t feint it. Only feintable while the block is being raised.

I moderators are not advising the developers. Kimi said she and Vanquish dont play anymore either.

If a block had a windup wtf - how can you block at the last minute - that is the whole premise of how blocking works.

Windup is just the terminology referring to when a weapon can be feinted. Which is why I say windup. The whole point of this, is if the block hasn’t engaged yet, you can cancel it to go into either a block or attack. But once the block is actually engaged, you have to go through the whole block/slight cool down post block. Also I don’t understand your post exactly about the “I moderators part”.

• @ChuckingIt:

Haha because that idea would make it impossible to block the faster weapons
    I’m assuming you aren’t blocking during the windup for the block

And honestly that is just overcomplicating things

Adding a period at the end of windup that disables blocking would fix everything
    That everything being one thing, and that is there is no period in which a defender can tell whether an attack will be a feint before it hits

• Usually when I get feinted, I have an “oh crap moment”, where I wish I could recall my block. I think 98% of feint problems could be fixed by adding the ability to cancel blocks early, and being able to reblock. I’m just trying to find ways to add some defense vs feints without destroying this core gameplay mechanic.

• @ChuckingIt:

Usually when I get feinted, I have an “oh crap moment”, where I wish I could recall my block. I think 98% of feint problems could be fixed by adding the ability to cancel blocks early, and being able to reblock. I’m just trying to find ways to add some defense vs feints without destroying this core gameplay mechanic.

I think we need like a roll and duck or some kind of get the hell out of there mechanic that would be costly in stamina but would allow you to break out of a failed parry.

• @gregcau:

@ChuckingIt:

Usually when I get feinted, I have an “oh crap moment”, where I wish I could recall my block. I think 98% of feint problems could be fixed by adding the ability to cancel blocks early, and being able to reblock. I’m just trying to find ways to add some defense vs feints without destroying this core gameplay mechanic.

I think we need like a roll and duck or some kind of get the hell out of there mechanic that would be costly in stamina but would allow you to break out of a failed parry.

[image:2m5uqj8w]http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/wp-content-uploads-2008-11-neo.jpg[/image:2m5uqj8w]

Found what you’re looking for.

• Well congrats Chuck ya just destroyed paries, seeing as now every fast weapon has a windup that is faster than the blocks windup
    People won’t even need to feint anymore since blocking will be so easy to get through

And yeah Greg that mechanic already exists
    The MAA hass it

• @BB:

Well congrats Chuck ya just destroyed blocking, seeing as now every fast weapon has a windup that is faster than the blocks windup
    People won’t even need to feint anymore since blocking will be so easy to get through

And yeah Greg that mechanic already exists
    The MAA hass it

Blocking speed wouldn’t decrease. It would be the exact same, just able to be feinted. My suggested doesn’t change anything about the game, except being able to cancel a block while its being raised.(which currently doesn’t block, only when its actually raised does it block. So it would have to be a hairline reaction to feint it)

• blocks are raised instantly and last for .5 seconds, with a cooldown of .5 seconds
    What even are you thinking when asking for a feint on something that lasts .5 seconds in the first place? Did you even think about how long the feintable period would be?

• @BB:

blocks are raised instantly and last for .5 seconds, with a cooldown of .5 seconds
    What even are you thinking when asking for a feint on something that lasts .5 seconds in the first place? Did you even think about how long the feintable period would be?

They are not instant, there is definitely an animation delay of it being raised(be it slight), which is why attacks can beat people who are slow to the punch. And yes I did, it would have to be an immediate block followed by a quick cancel. I don’t intend this to be an easy way out. Just a very high level maneuver that can be used if one so wishes to master the timing. I’m trying to keep or increase the time required to be good at this game. So I am looking for ways to make it so. This may lead to combo blocking, but why the heck not? It counters combo feinting, so there.

• They are instant, the animation is there because teleporting your hand into the parry position would look weird

Still pretty vague on the times there Chuck, exactly how much of the .5 parry would be feintable

• @BB:

They are instant, the animation is there because teleporting your hand into the parry position would look weird

Still pretty vague on the times there Chuck, exactly how much of the .5 parry would be feintable

When I get home, I will grab the goat and do some testing and get back to you ok? It’s an idea right now. But with testing I can see what we are dealing with. (and look as weird as teleporting MAA’s :P)

• To be fair MAA only teleports while weilding the Staff
    Regular MAA dodge is a hop compared to that

And here’s the main diference between your fix and mine

Mine: Okay I’m going to wait until the last possible moment of their windup to block, oh they just feinted, good thing I have restraint and a good reaction time

Yours: Okay let me just parry this attack normaly like I do all the- oh shit no they feinted, mash feint key, goof thing they implemented this mechanic that let’s me fuck up with no consequences

Ya see the difference?

• @BB:

To be fair MAA only teleports while weilding the Staff

It’s a wizard’s staff. ;)

• The parry anim doesn’t sync with the actual parry duration. You can also end up parrying while the lower parry anim is playing (I notice this with 1hing the longsword with no shield).

As for op’s original suggestion, this doesn’t do anything about the problems people have with feinting. This takes what is probably the strongest current competitive playstyle (run around crazily until you can time and range your attack perfectly, NEVER PARRY EVER PARRY IS FOR CHUMPS) and buffs it.

Footwork absolutely belongs in chivalry, but so does swordplay. The problem with feinting is that it disincentivizes any actual swordplay in favor of avoidance and aggression. The anti-feinters want parry to be a meaningful mechanic that people actually use as a core part of their playstyle, instead of something any skilled player avoids using like it’s a deathsentence (because that’s pretty much what it is). I don’t think it is a contestable statement that Chivalry is a game about getting into swordfights with other dudes until someone dies a comically horrible death, so why do the mechanics punish doing that? The higher up the ladder you go, the less Chivalry is a game about engaging sword play and the more it feels like playing CS melee with slower, bigger knives.

P.S. autosprint while shift is held is a fantastic idea, though. And it’s more and more fantastic everytime someone mentions it. Please do this.

• @DSMatticus:

P.S. autosprint while shift is held is a fantastic idea, though. And it’s more and more fantastic everytime someone mentions it. Please do this.

lol they already did it, its in the next patch. And yeah it should help against feinting because you just keep running and dont stand still like a parry chump.

• @ChuckingIt:

@BB:

blocks are raised instantly and last for .5 seconds, with a cooldown of .5 seconds

They are not instant, there is definitely an animation delay of it being raised(be it slight), which is why attacks can beat people who are slow to the punch. And yes I did, it would have to be an immediate block followed by a quick cancel. I don’t intend this to be an easy way out. Just a very high level maneuver that can be used if one so wishes to master the timing. I’m trying to keep or increase the time required to be good at this game. So I am looking for ways to make it so. This may lead to combo blocking, but why the heck not? It counters combo feinting, so there.

Parrying is instant. The reason it seems delayed is because enemy’s attack animation is actually delayed than where they actually are. So you are hit before you actually think you are hit.

Also I don’t know how you would implement feint for parry. That would allow everyone to block 99% of the time. Just feint parry feint parry feint parry constantly.