Let's talk about the bearded axe

• @HEXEN:

Seen some people do well with the Beard, just like most other weapons. I don’t see it played with any more than anything else.

Beards windup times are short as hell, which is where the majority of its strength comes from I think. I’m pretty sure it’s the fastest 2H weapon you can play as the Knight right now (single strikes). Range kind of sucks though, and it’s easy to be baited in the heat of combat.

Whenever I try to play with the Beard, I don’t much care for it. It’s a two attack weapon with low range and pitiful combos. You can sort of negate the combo issue with feints, but it’s eating into your stamina where other Knight weapons wouldn’t have to.

Sort of a “one trick pony” weapon in my opinion. It puts a lot of its eggs in a single basket.

Basically just want to +1 this, although I find it fairly fun. That basket is enjoyable to hit people with!

• A parry counter lookdown overhead into combo feint can two shot anyone in less than a second and is nearly unblockable. It’s silly. I’ve used it a few times but won’t again because it is far superior to any other weapon. It doesn’t feel enjoyable to win because your weapon is faster than a dagger.

• Bearded axe is so easy to rape everyone with. Accelerate the swings and overheads, or even decelerate them. The windup is short as fuck for it, the release is long enough to slow down or speed up, and the stab is decent too. It has low range, but I’ve been hit from what looked like out of range many times by it.

• Check out this video at 1:25:00 mark.(1 hour 25 minute mark).

Great match of Oppressor vs Bada. Oppressor using the bearded axe, while bada is using the trusty sword of war.

http://www.twitch.tv/darkagegaming/b/371046621

• Chuck did you forget to link a video?

• @The:

Chuck did you forget to link a video?

yes lol :D. Fixed. Thanks for the heads up.

• @clayton-bigsby:

thanks for using my video, and btw i feel like a noob now that i posted it.

I believe that EVEN WITH the combo-feinting. Just because someone can combo feint it, doesn’t mean they will do it well. You still have to know the range in which to start which can be tricky, and actually getting them to hit is harder than you’d think. You still need to possess a decent amount of skill to combo feint this weapon and be effective and be able to aim while being coordinated enough to not miss the timing on the combo feint. Therefore even with combo-feinted weapons… oh well i still don’t think they are that bad to deal with. Although i was having a tough time that day, mostly because of who was weilding those beards ;)

Even without combo feinting I just get destroyed by this weapon no matter how skilled the player may be. Combo feinting with it is just another level of hell

• @Lord:

What speed playin in this server? You cant* says something is totaly Op when u are playin on a 200% speed server…

I think you missed the point of the psot…

• Yeah i’ve seen people doing dodgy things with the beared axe’s overhead, probably this combo feint people are talking about, and it looks like people are speed hacking because the 2h weapon is going like a combine harvester yet the player runs/moves at normal speed.

Not much fun if your one of the classes that gets 1-2shot by the bearded axe.

• If the knight with the bearded axe wasn’t hacking, I’ll eat my shorts.

Note how fast the archers are moving. Now note how fast the knight is SPRINTING, even while swinging his weapon.

Nuh uh. I’m calling fairly obvious speed hack here. I’m surprised only one other person suggested it here.

• @giantyak:

Not much fun if your one of the classes that gets 1-2shot by the bearded axe.

This is every class. It 2-hits knights with two headshots as long as they aren’t thrusts.

@Solon64:

If the knight with the bearded axe wasn’t hacking, I’ll eat my shorts.

Note how fast the archers are moving. Now note how fast the knight is SPRINTING, even while swinging his weapon.

Nuh uh. I’m calling fairly obvious speed hack here. I’m surprised only one other person suggested it here.

Go eat your shorts. He’s combo feinting. He’s doing [attack, combo, feint, attack], which negates his recovery and allows him to attack immediately without comboing. The bearded axe (thanks to its recent speedups) has the unique property of being one of the only weapons in the game for which this is still faster than regular comboing.

To compare, let’s take the time from end of release of the first second to end of windup on the second:
    [Attack, recovery, attack] would take .8s recovery + .425 windup, or a minimum of 1.225 seconds before your next hit could possibly connects.
    [Attack, combo] would just take .75s combo before your next hit could possibly connect.
    [Attack, combo, feint, attack] would just take .2s feint + .425s windup, or .625s before your next hit could possibly connect.

This is one of the shortest times until next hit in the entire game. The list of weapons that can land two hits faster are:
    Warhammer, slash or thrust
    Any dagger, any attack
    Cudgel, any attack
    Shortsword
    Saber
    Broadsword, slash only
    Hatchet, slash only (tie)
    War axe, any attack
    Dane axe, any attack (all ties)

Notice that most of the things on that list are fast, low damage weapons, with the exceptions being the warhammer, cudgel, hatchet, war axe, and dane axe, which are some of the best 1hers in the game (except waraxe, and the hatchet is a little niche and the cudgel only makes the list because it’s the archer’s only option). The only thing on the list that can compare to the bearded axe’s damage is the warhammer.

• Well, the running does seem quite fast for a knight but I am not sure if the whole server or video are not sped up.

• When i saw the knight using the bearded axe like a combine harvester the speed of the axe was comical, but he was still running or walking at the same speed.

• damage type windup combo release recovery bearded axe: slash 75 swingblunt 0.425 0.75 0.55 0.8
    overhead 87 swingblunt 0.425 0.75 0.5 0.8
    stab 40 blunt 0.55 0.65 0.4 0.7

Sword of War: slash 65 swing 0.5 0.65 0.6 0.7
    overhead 75 swing 0.5 0.65 0.6 0.65
    stab 75 pierce 0.6 0.65 0.35 0.75

I think the speed is fine because of its far imperior reach, although I do believe it needs a nerf. I believe the bearded axe should have its overhead damage nerfed down to 75 damage and the slash down to 70. Another thing, no offense tornbanner but when it comes to nerfs and buffs you take it much too far, like with the holy water sprinkler, which pre-patch i do agree it was ridiculous and needed a nerf, but post-patch you completely trashed it. I believe u should give the hws a comparable speed to either the norse sword or the hatchet.

+KoC+ Tau
    level 30 knight