Getting around shields…

• I’m a shield user, and I’ve noticed that people can get around shields very easily… too easily.

Honestly, I don’t want the usual, “MAYBE YOU’RE JUST BAD” crap I always get. I wouldn’t say that I’m an amazing god like player, but I’ve won my share of duels. Also, I recorded a few of the times this happened. This doesn’t happen that often, but often enough for me to come and complain about it. I know that you’re supposed to point your shield at the tip of their weapon and all that crap I’ve been told many times. And I clearly did it in these clips. But did it really help me? Not at all. Also, I’d like to point out how ridiculous it is when people alternate feints from swing and other swing, as this is not the way feint is intended to be used, but that’s not really the point of this thread.

eHdqP3_-Trc

• Yep, that was messed up, you should have block all three swings.

• You think that’s bad? You should try it with parry where you can’t afford to make a mistake, but the game forces it upon you anyway. :(

• Unfortunately that might be more the 1 hand swords/axes.

Hit detection with them has been bugged since the Jan patch.

Still issues with shield blocking though, I agree.

• @DokB:

You think that’s bad? You should try it with parry where you can’t afford to make a mistake, but the game forces it upon you anyway. :(

Hah. That’s why I’m using a shield. I smell a feinting discussion coming this way…

• @Smileh104:

@DokB:

You think that’s bad? You should try it with parry where you can’t afford to make a mistake, but the game forces it upon you anyway. :(

Hah. That’s why I’m using a shield. I smell a feinting discussion coming this way…

Nah, this is mainly because of a certain bug which is making blocking/parrying some weapons much harder than they should.

I’ll be impressed though if someone manages to find a way to sneak in a feint argument somewhere.

• Yeah… for certain swords/axes it’s better not to look at the tip of their weapon (however that works :? ).

Somewhat annoying… I’ve had the same thing happen to me on many occasions - completely facing and intercepting the tip of their weapon in the middle of my screen and still get hit. Worse yet I’ve had my shield up for ALMOST every swing a person has made and only 1/7 registered as a block (I think it was MaA using a shortsword, not facehugging, against me using knight with tower shield). It was at that moment when I realized the best strat from then on (in the same situation) was going to be taking out my 2H to out-range MaA’s instead of trying to block them.

His combo was something like lmb, (lmb+lmb combo), lmb, stab (blocked), overhead, lmb. How the LMB’s and overhead at the end got through my shield I’ll never know. I was a little reluctant to post this because there will be skeptics but…… that was the actual moment I lost a little bit of faith in shields for melee. I still try to use them but much more often I’ll use something else… granted it’s probably more annoying in duels than in TO which is what I normally play. If there are archers I can always go archer and try to snipe the snipers as opposed to transitioning to shield (unless they’re really pressing the rest of my team’s front line with melee, and still have good archers).

• first one is the alt swing bug where if you alt swing feint and alt swing again, the animation plays the normal swing. im not sure what happened with the second one. the enmy player might have gotten around you farther than you see.

• hey guys its not the shield that is broken ITS MAA HIT that is way TOO FAR in 90 degree it is completly Oveerpower like i am sayin in my MAA fixing post, all other class are okay with blokin shit its only about MAA OP as sh***

• I,m lookin at the video again and again, its really the MAA that is broken… If you dont agree well see by yourself it’s only MAA that makin all this sh**** they are UNPARRYable too due to that 90 degree hit things too so torn need to fix maa everything will be ok then

• @Lord:

I,m lookin at the video again and again, its really the MAA that is broken… If you dont agree well see by yourself it’s only MAA that makin all this sh**** they are UNPARRYable too due to that 90 degree hit things too so torn need to fix maa everything will be ok then

It’s not the class, it’s the weapons their using. And is it me or is the norse sword also hard to parry. I swear I aimed two parries perfectly at a norse sword overhead and it went through my weapon’s model and hit me. :p

• Solution: Don’t rely on crutch shields. L2parry! But seriously a lot of times the animation delay makeyou miss when they have swung around your block instead of into it. I love shield users because most stand still with their shield while I swing around their flank.

• @Apathy:

Solution: Don’t rely on crutch shields. L2parry! But seriously a lot of times the animation delay makeyou miss when they have swung around your block instead of into it. I love shield users because most stand still with their shield while I swing around their flank.

Isn’t it better to kick them? ;) Swinging is harder for me. A jumping overhead can be very effective. Or just a jumping stab with a long-reaching weapon. but when you progress more in the game, parrying is way better than shields. BUT then FEINTERS come in. ;P

• Shields can be real hard to get around, especially the Heater and Kites sometimes. I like to play Archer alot, and I’ve had my fair share of troubles with shields, obviously. Even though I pull out a sword for those shield users, I’ve noticed that some shots that I swear would’ve hit their bodies magically gets blocked by the shield in a place where the arrow wasn’t supposed to hit the shield. For example, I once aimed at a Knight’s head/neck point blank with a crossbow and fired, but his shield’s hitbox apparently extended far enough so that it blocked the arrow. :|

It’s no fun. It’s also no fun when those Knights and Vanguards get too close to you and start using overheads; you seem to need to aim your parry upwards at about a 90 degree angle to block the hit. These might be just some things that could be fixed in the future, but all in all, shields have their share of pros and cons. :D

• @HelloMyNameIsEd:

Shields can be real hard to get around, especially the Heater and Kites sometimes. I like to play Archer alot, and I’ve had my fair share of troubles with shields, obviously. Even though I pull out a sword for those shield users, I’ve noticed that some shots that I swear would’ve hit their bodies magically gets blocked by the shield in a place where the arrow wasn’t supposed to hit the shield. For example, I once aimed at a Knight’s head/neck point blank with a crossbow and fired, but his shield’s hitbox apparently extended far enough so that it blocked the arrow. :|

It’s no fun. It’s also no fun when those Knights and Vanguards get too close to you and start using overheads; you seem to need to aim your parry upwards at about a 90 degree angle to block the hit. These might be just some things that could be fixed in the future, but all in all, shields have their share of pros and cons. :D

Yes, we have magical shields right now:

Buckler - http://i.imgur.com/EP7qVAK.jpg
    Heater - http://i.imgur.com/VGgk4HS.jpg
    Kite - http://i.imgur.com/0Tx1bbd.jpg
    Tower - http://i.imgur.com/naHFOfq.jpg

• Parrying is usually better, but a shield works great against a spear user (sometimes a polearm user as well) as it negates their reach advantage. It’s also fantastic in a team fight imo.

• How the hell do you have projectiles lasting after they land Martin?

• @Martin:

Yes, we have magical shields right now:

Buckler - http://i.imgur.com/EP7qVAK.jpg
    Heater - http://i.imgur.com/VGgk4HS.jpg
    Kite - http://i.imgur.com/0Tx1bbd.jpg
    Tower - http://i.imgur.com/naHFOfq.jpg

Oh i see, so instead of actually fixing shields and the problems with the combat system, they just made shields invisibly larger

• I think from the video clip your block was “aimed” a little high. He is clipping your feet. At least the last replay looked pretty evident. BUT, from your point of view your shield was there and the hits should not have been awarded.

I crouch with the shield quite a bit to make a smaller target for jabs with spears, and MAA’s who are slash happy. Crouch and look up slightly.

• @sharpie7:

I think from the video clip your block was “aimed” a little high. He is clipping your feet. At least the last replay looked pretty evident. BUT, from your point of view your shield was there and the hits should not have been awarded.

I crouch with the shield quite a bit to make a smaller target for jabs with spears, and MAA’s who are slash happy. Crouch and look up slightly.

I tried that too, but the problem is, crouching makes you even slower and your turn rate is capped with a shield up, which often makes it even easier for your enemy to get around you.

I think this is mostly a problem of “the enemy is not where you see him” and he will hit you if he hits you on his screen, no matter where you see yourself. On his screen, he is hitting your side - this seems to be more prominent with MMAs since they are faster and so they are more ahead of what you see on your screen. At least that is my theory,

Looks like your connection to Torn Banner Forums was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.