Combat system design philosophy

• im curious as to what was TB going for when they designed the combat mechanics. to me the combat system is focused around easy access and fun. i wish the game centered around creativity of a player. i mean, if two jedis were fighting, the one with more creativity would come out ahead. i mention jedi because in chivalry, everyone is supposed to be master swordsman. in chivalry the ones that come out ahead are the ones tricking the opponent better whether by feint or distance. this is good but i think there should be more ways to beat an opponent.

• you could try naming them

and if they are good mechanics they might get added

• Did you ever play any of the jedi knight games? I can assure you that with everyone having the same size weapon with only 3 fighting styles for single saber (in jedi academy you had dual and staff saber, but for now ill stick to JK2), the fights come down to a lot of trickery and mouse dragging to overcome your opponent. Regardless of how creative you were, fights were won by the guy who kept his saber in the other guy longest through dragging, distance play, footwork, jumping about and trickery.

• @Anonymoose:

Did you ever play any of the jedi knight games? I can assure you that with everyone having the same size weapon with only 3 fighting styles for single saber (in jedi academy you had dual and staff saber, but for now ill stick to JK2), the fights come down to a lot of trickery and mouse dragging to overcome your opponent. Regardless of how creative you were, fights were won by the guy who kept his saber in the other guy longest through dragging, distance play, footwork, jumping about and trickery.

Yea except you had like 9 different swing directions. chivalry has 1 fighting style with 5 directional attacks. Also in Jedi Academy you had Force and freedom to jump around.

• @boomandvibe:

@Anonymoose:

Did you ever play any of the jedi knight games? I can assure you that with everyone having the same size weapon with only 3 fighting styles for single saber (in jedi academy you had dual and staff saber, but for now ill stick to JK2), the fights come down to a lot of trickery and mouse dragging to overcome your opponent. Regardless of how creative you were, fights were won by the guy who kept his saber in the other guy longest through dragging, distance play, footwork, jumping about and trickery.

Yea except you had like 9 different swing directions. chivalry has 1 fighting style with 5 directional attacks. Also in Jedi Academy you had Force and freedom to jump around.

Even with all the swings its still a game of, put the weapon in the enemy. In chivalry, the main difference of style would be more toward the different classes and weapon speeds. I know that I don’t play a maul the same way I play a faster 2hsword, even though they may be similar range, weapon speed in this scenario takes place of say yellow and red stances in JK ((yellow) medium speed and power - for this example it would be a 2h sword) - and ((red) slow swings with max power - for this example, a maul. They are not that similar, just for example).

Also, the fact that you can jump around freely in jedi knight makes it more difficult to actually get the opponent into your striking range than in chivalry, as players who are proficient with red style do not let you hit them very easily, minimizing their chance of being struck by massive use of jumps and high speed movement to get in close while striking and then remove himself from your range. 1 mistake and he could land 1 simple attack into you and drag it, keeping it inside of you, until you die, which takes milliseconds do. You had to decieve him into somehow being close enough to be vulnerable to your swings, while minimizing damage upon yourself. Sounds a lot like chivalry to me.