How to kill a very experienced MAA?

• I lose every time. Does anyone know some tips on how to kill them?

• @Thatoneguy5314:

I lose every time. Does anyone know some tips on how to kill them?

Maa is the king of 1 on 1. Van with long ranged spears/halberds do well at spacing them out. If they have a shield, they can dodge out of shield kicks, so you are either forced to hit around it or corner them into a corner.

The Knight relies on trading against maa, the maa will try to camp you, and attack as soon as he sees your attack animation, so for instance, when you stab the maa will back off and jump in after your attack ends. So you have to feint a stab for instance, when you think the maa is going to jump in, this will cause the maa to jump into one of your moves. The best weapons against maa is 1 handers that can react fast against them, especially 1 handers with long range–> bastard swords, especially the sword of war with its lightning fast stab. If you have a problem against shield kicks, you can get rid of your shield and still hold your bastard sword in 1 hand, by switching to your 2nd weapon, pressing 3 to remove the shield, then bring your bastard sword out as you normally would, by pressing 1 twice, you won’t have your shield any more and get the speed boost of having a 1 hander. As a 1 hander, your range will be lower on your horizontal and vertical swings, but your stab will be the same range AND come out faster.

But generally when I lose my first round against a good maa, I just switch to maa, if you can’t beat them join them, because the Knight dies in 3 headshots to an maa, and an maa dies in 2 headshots, so you don’t even get that much more tankiness by switching to knight. Also note, that the maa can use a shield without any negative repercussions, so he is immune to feints unless you’re facehugging him.

• One heavy javelin in the torso.

• @gregcau:

One heavy javelin in the torso.

oh yeh forgot how op archer is now… archer+maa>>>>> everyone else

• Archer > MaA > Knight > Vanguard.

The only way to beat experienced MaAs is to play archer and shoot them even if they have a shield, or play MaA your self. Any time MaAs lose to knights or vanguards, they made mistakes. As previously stated, Knights have the best chance when forcing hit trades against MaAs and trying to bait their dodges. Vanguards best chance, IMO, is using the Dane axe. Sure you can try a long reach weapon, but they’re all way too slow or too short (if fast enough) to deal with a good MaA. Dane axe will just make you a slower version of an MaA without dodge yes, but it’s 1h speed, reach, damage and ability to get around shields is by far better than any of your primaries against them. You can also try the hatchet.

Archers and MaAs are the hardest to play, but the easiest to win with.

• So man-at-arms are stronger than knights. Sounds about right… I can now recall many epic tales of men-at-arms saving fair maidens and slaying dragons.

• @Magnificent:

So man-at-arms are stronger than knights. Sounds about right… I can now recall many epic tales of men-at-arms saving fair maidens and slaying dragons.

lol funny.

MAA in Beta is no longer the beast it was in live due to fixes that allow you to parry face huggers.

• I normally beat maas with the overhead-stab combo. Horizontal-backswing is too slow and predictable but if you intentionally miss with an overhead then immediatly stab they usually run straight into the stab.

• Step by step guide to beat maa:
    1. Be the better player
    2. NEVER enter your attack recovery
    3. Be aggressive, keep the pressure on, NEVER let him regen stamina.

I know these are very general tips, but the truth is, against an excellent maa you are f*cked. You cannot hittrade as vanguard (without bardiche/zwei headshot).

@SOC:

Archer > MaA > Knight > Vanguard.

Sad but true.

• @theuprising:

@gregcau:

One heavy javelin in the torso.

oh yeh forgot how op archer is now… archer+maa>>>>> everyone else

It was always the case. Archer weapons do the most damage.

One heavy jav into a vanguard torso takes them down to critical health.

And its only the good archers and MAS that are OP. you wouldn’t find it hard to kill me when I’m an MMA but when I’m an archer you better be careful.

Skill is a huge factor in this game. More than people realise.

And against a good MMA well you better hope your team is around you. Don’t get caught alone with him. He will rape you. Literally.

If kicking was better thats what I would do.

And taking out your own secondary weapon means you have narrowed e gap and have a better chance against him.

• @lemonater47:

IMO, archers and MaAs remove a lot of the skill involved when playing knight or vanguard. There’s no skill vs skill when there’s an enemy archer aiming at you. You can serpentine and hold your tower shield up all you want but any archer who isn’t bad will still hit you no matter what. It’s his skill vs your what? There’s nothing you can do but play counter archer if he’s on top of that castle wall in Stoneshill, or next to his king in the throne room. The only way to beat archer is to play archer.

MaAs are also weak to archers, but they’re by far best in melee. The only way you’re on even ground with them is to also play MaA, they have a significant advantage against knights and vanguards. They were designed to. An MaA fell for your feint? np, dodge back. An MaA is about to have their heater shield kicked? np, dodge back. An MaA is out of stamina? np, dodge back. You know you have to play patient against an MaA? np, his entire team shows up, or you’re shot down by his archers. It’s not skill vs skill when the match up is like 70%-30% in the MaAs favor.

• What kills me are other skilled players.

• Ok here are the big lines on how I generally do to have the upper hand against experienced players (every classes included). A percentage of top players still don’t fall for this but they are really a few or extremely lucky.

There’s alot of different tactics you can use in this game but you have to take into consideration that every experienced player recognise and knows how to counter them. So what you basically will do is pretend to use one of those tactic and change it in fight for another.

I’m not gonna list all of the tactics I use but here is a simple example :
    I run on an opposite direction from my following target then I change direction towards him for a surprise attack. So far, if it’s a experienced player, he knows this basic tactic and he has the reflex to parry you. BUT ! I intensionally miss my first combo attack resulting him to parry nothing… No need to say that if you’re facing a really good player, he won’t parry unless you miss by a hair so you better be good at it. Anyways, after his unecessary parry, I immediatly combo a second attack resulting a clean hit. I know in some cases depending on you’re weapon speed and his weapon speed, he can still manage to parry you’re second attack but I’m not gonna explain it here… it was just an example on how you start with one basic tactic to switch to another in fight. And it works !

Anyways, here are some litle tips against MAA’s :

• You can’t defeat an experienced MAA without feint unless you are lucky.
    • As a knight, don’t be afraid to take some hits, get close. the more you are close, the more there’s a chance his back dodge will fail.
    • If he tries to facehug you, parry just one attack, don’t counter-attack since you can’t stop/feint those attacks. Wait for a milisecond then attack normally and if he is really smart, he’ll immediatly do a double back dodge because you basicaly became the one facehugging him and you’ll understand why :
      if he also attacks -> trading hits (don’t combo if you have a slow weapon though)
      if he doesn’t attack -> feint -> overhead -> fail back dodge (80%) -> hit
      if he doesn’t attack -> feint -> overhead -> double lucky back dodge -> no stamina left -> you chase/harrass him -> maa dead ;-)

• Feints followed by vertical strike, since vertical strike 1 hits MAA.

• @SOC:

@lemonater47:

IMO, archers and MaAs remove a lot of the skill involved when playing knight or vanguard. There’s no skill vs skill when there’s an enemy archer aiming at you. You can serpentine and hold your tower shield up all you want but any archer who isn’t bad will still hit you no matter what. It’s his skill vs your what? There’s nothing you can do but play counter archer if he’s on top of that castle wall in Stoneshill, or next to his king in the throne room. The only way to beat archer is to play archer.

MaAs are also weak to archers, but they’re by far best in melee. The only way you’re on even ground with them is to also play MaA, they have a significant advantage against knights and vanguards. They were designed to. An MaA fell for your feint? np, dodge back. An MaA is about to have their heater shield kicked? np, dodge back. An MaA is out of stamina? np, dodge back. You know you have to play patient against an MaA? np, his entire team shows up, or you’re shot down by his archers. It’s not skill vs skill when the match up is like 70%-30% in the MaAs favor.

Hyperbole. Can’t dodge during parry, which is funny because you can dodge while holding a shield up. Can’t dodge without stam, all MAA weapons take at minimum 3 hits to kill a Knight vs the 1 or 2 it takes Knight weapons (mainly 2 hits).

You also can’t utilize the MAA’s sprint speed without sacrificing reflex dodges, because dodge doesn’t work while sprinting and still doesn’t work for a split second after releasing sprint. A dodge-heavy MAA will rarely sprint, but that means he’s eating up chunks of his stamina by dodging all over the place. The mistake I have seen the most that marked a turning point in an otherwise even duel is when the MAA backs off to regain stamina and his opponent lets him do it, or if he realizes that he needs to press but gets too greedy and doesn’t account for a quick preliminary strike. Knights care far less about stamina than an MAA does, so they usually have the stamina advantage in a fight and can turn that to their advantage. Playing aggressively while being mindful of the “dodge-forward-stab” is the best way to counter an MAA who is not keen on getting hit. This means always pressing towards him with an attack ready, but being able to feint-to-block at the drop of a hat.

Of course, you could always just switch to one of the MAA’s own primaries, since as a Knight those are your secondaries, and his weapon speed advantage is now gone =]

• Posting as a primarily MAA player…
    If you are a vanguard or knight and pull out your secondary weapon, I know I’ve already won the fight. You have willingly given up one of your primary advantages (reach) with the idea that your higher armor will help you. It wont. Not against a good maa.

The difference is, the maa still has dodge. That is his primary advantage, he gives up nothing and still has it. And a good maa will dodge out of every bad situation. Dive in but miss? Dodge away from the counter. Feinted and he falls for it? Either raise his shield and block it, or dodge away, and then run back in for a counter.

A good maa knows the range and reach of every weapon and will patiently wait for you to miss a swing and then cut you down, and your armor will not help. Your best bet is to keep your longer weapon out and prevent him from moving in too close.

Well, really, the best advice is to not face a good maa 1v1, but we all know that isn’t always possible :p

• @Skream:

Feints followed by vertical strike, since vertical strike 1 hits MAA.

lol some truth in that.

• I’m pretty sure your dodge is disabled for a set time during a parry, so it’s not as easy as some say when they say that MaA’s can dodge out of combat when they fall for a feint. If the weapon is fast enough and long enough, as well as queued to attack at the right time, you can hit them before their parry animation ends and before or during their dodge.

• @Solon64:

Feinted and he falls for it? Either raise his shield and block it, or dodge away, and then run back in for a counter

No offence dude but if I see a MAA with a shield, I know I’ve already won the fight ;-)
    Truth is I’ve never met an experienced MAA with a shield so far…

Anyways, you wanna 1V1 an experienced MAA? All you need to do is… also become an experienced player… There’s no secret, just some tips (see my post before) that may help you but again, you need to be experienced to use those tips correclty :|

I’m only sure of one thing, after 600 hours playing exclusively MAA. Whatever average players will claim that MAA can easely dodge everything, you won’t 1V1 me unless you are a pro feint user or extremely lucky.

• @Blackleader:

@Solon64:

Feinted and he falls for it? Either raise his shield and block it, or dodge away, and then run back in for a counter

No offence dude but if I see a MAA with a shield, I know I’ve already won the fight ;-)
    Truth is I’ve never met an experienced MAA with a shield so far…

Anyways, you wanna 1V1 an experienced MAA? All you need to do is… also become an experienced player… There’s no secret, just some tips (see my post before) that may help you but again, you need to be experienced to use those tips correclty :|

I’m only sure of one thing, after 600 hours playing exclusively MAA. Whatever average players will claim that MAA can easely dodge everything, you won’t 1V1 me unless you are a pro feint user or extremely lucky.

An experienced MAA with a shield is still an experienced MAA. It’s just too cumbersome in a 1v1 fight, but it improves your odds against multiple people because you can dodge while holding a shield up. Generally though, yes, the dodge is enough, so it’s mostly just used to defend against arrows. Most MAAs carry a Heater unless they feel there’s an important use for a firepot. With the way archers dominate the early stages of a competitive LTS round, it’s never a bad choice.