Could a line of fire detection system work?

• I remember in l4d2 there was a message that popped up when you walk infront of a team mate while he was shooting. I have been kicked from a few games because a teammate on low health who is trying to steal my kill sneaks up from behind and suddenly jumps infront of me when im in mid-swing. That team mate will then bring up a votekick, this being chivalry and all, and if its early in the game it will show high team damage.

When i get TKed and its my fault i realize it. Dont stand infront of a team mate when hes swinging. However, on public this game people are not known for being patient or intelligent and many people try to vote out every team mate who hits them, regardless of the circumstances.

My suggestion is bring in a detection system like l4d2 and dont show team damage when t happens

• Most of these accidental kills happens off screen and as you say, when they creep up next to you. For example when swinging a 2-handed sword, the damage starts behind you. So if you kill someone creeping up behind you there wouldnt have been a warning anyways. It’s easier just to be sure of your surroundings and never to swing near teammates. ;)

• @Jonystrom:

Most of these accidental kills happens off screen and as you say, when they creep up next to you. For example when swinging a 2-handed sword, the damage starts behind you. So if you kill someone creeping up behind you there wouldnt have been a warning anyways. It’s easier just to be sure of your surroundings and never to swing near teammates. ;)

I wish it was that simple but in the heat of battle i dont have time to do a 360 degree check before each swing, it usually happens in the middle of a fight when the team mate jumps between me and my opponent

• I think you can only really hope for this issue to police itself as players become better skilled. Kill-stealers won’t want to spend their entire playtime getting team-killed because of their own greed.

• Except if you have such a detection system and it disallows tk damage %, all you have to do as a tk’er is stare straight at your friendly as you tk. Won’t show up as team damage because the system can’t determine him moving into your line of fire or you moving yourself so he is in your line of fire and needs to get out of the way. Tk’er heaven right there.