Game is way too offense friendly by design

• Good fighting games have a balance between offense and defense, favoring offense, in this game, you are either on offense or you are dying. The offensive options are way too powerful, and the best defense option prior to GU1, the knight’s shield has been nerfed to the floor. There’s a reason you see every “good” player never taking a defensive stance, and spamming their moves and feints wildly and/or trying to face hug. This does not make for interesting gameplay, this leads to fights ending very fast which increases the luck involved in each fight, and is really only good for the very casual player who just wants to go into a TO map and spam LMB and get a few kills. These players won’t be supporting the game for the long haul and couldn’t care at all if the combat was deep and complex.

Having the game overly friendly to offense actually takes away from fights resembling the movies as was the original goal of chivalry… well they resemble the fights of grunts of no consequence, but really who the hell wants to play as orc #3000005 from LotR, who dies from 1 arrow headshot or spear to the chest cough. Oddly now the class with the best defensive options is the Maa, as their shield is still viable and they can jump out of incoming attacks. Along with being the class with the best offensive options…

• defensive never wins.

• I believe the next patch they’re going to focus on, (after this bugfix patch they’re testing now) will be balance and mechanic changes, so if this is how you feel, deffo make sure to join in with that and raise such issues.

• Even though I like Chivalry as it is now I still agree with uprising. There is NO REASON to favor offense that much.

@soni2295:

defensive never wins.

Why wouldn´t a good defensive team win a round as defenders? Your sentence does not apply to Team Objective games.

• i entirely agree. it is always too good to be attacking the entire time.

• Its hard to kill your opponent with pure defense.

Its not always wise to be the first person to attack though. Better for force a miss with fancy footwork.

• @funthomass:

Even though I like Chivalry as it is now I still agree with uprising. There is NO REASON to favor offense that much.

@soni2295:

defensive never wins.

Why wouldn´t a good defensive team win a round as defenders? Your sentence does not apply to Team Objective games.

it only applies to deathmatchs and combats.

• This applies to defense on objective as well. With the exception of the defensive archer, everyone else plays offensively. The usual pub only has one or two brave souls actually guarding an objective.

• It might be that I play with a whole different bunch of people, but the ones I play with who do very well are those who show restraint and observe. “Defensive” strategies are useful, one example being that backpedaling a charging enemy gives you the initiative to close the distance whenever you want. Also, being patient and letting your opponent create an opening is a deadly tactic.

What I’m saying is that the game doesn’t reward you for being purely offensive or a turtle, but rewards you for being able to change between an offensive and defensive stance on the fly, in the heat of battle. Being defensive by itself accomplishes nothing, but knowing when to take the initiative is paramount.

• I’d say more then 50% of the high level duelists play a defensive style.
    So many high level duelists refuse to make the first move that it is sad. I’d say that in terms of high level play the game actually favours those that are defensive.
    And by defensive i mean refusing to make the first move and/or only make attacks after the other player has initiated some kind of offensive move be it taking one pace forward or other.
    I think many people don’t realise that they are actually defensive players.

+1 to what Mr Wangmaster says.

• @giantyak:

I’d say more then 50% of the high level duelists play a defensive style.
    So many high level duelists refuse to make the first move that it is sad. I’d say that in terms of high level play the game actually favours those that are defensive.
    And by defensive i mean refusing to make the first move and/or only make attacks after the other player has initiated some kind of offensive move be it taking one pace forward or other.

If feints are on the table, being passive = death.

• But your assuming that the feintee is in striking range.

• If feints are on the table, being passive = death.

Feints have little to do with it. Problem lies in the in-game mechanic where you can speed up your attacks and/or even start them in a way that they’ll hit your enemy in an instant. That’s why I am playing as a vanguard with long weapons and team up with people as of late: you can’t abuse this mechanic then and even if you’ll try polearm will find you. I only take knight when there are a lot of archers and I need a shield to get closer.

• @giantyak:

I’d say more then 50% of the high level duelists play a defensive style.

This is simply untrue, or your definition of high level duelist isn’t what actually constitutes a high-level duelist. Or you’re talking about MaA, who can viably pull off defense until it’s time for an offensive flurry.

@Holy.Death:

Feints have little to do with it. Problem lies in the in-game mechanic where you can speed up your attacks and/or even start them in a way that they’ll hit your enemy in an instant.

Parrying acceled hits is not particularly hard. Now, there is the problem that late accels are essentially invisible (hit detection in Chivalry appears to be attacker side, which means if your opponent accels late you won’t see it until after his client has also told the server to do damage to you). And you can mix up your timing to make parrying you inconsistent. But none of that is particularly automatically fatal to the defensive player.

• You kind of have to play conservatively as an MAA. What I like to do is make the opponent misjudge their range to me, force them to swing, then lung in for a couple easy strikes.

• The problem is most of the people that complain in this game know nothing about the game. Most of those really offensive guys are AMAZING defensively which is the whole reason they are always the aggressor later in the fight…because they dont get stuck in endless blocks, they find holes in your fighting immediatley and capitalize on it till your death. This is fighting 101. Fighting is always about taking control.

If the game became more defensive, then it would be long boring…boring…boring ping pong fests. Games need to stay aggresive to keep it more interesting. The only reason why being more offesive seems sooo much more worth it now than being more defensive is because Weapon ranges and animations are completely broken. People really need to stop crying about everything else and realize thats the real and only problem here.

• And either way…

This. People constantly… especially maa, wait for YOUR move first, then they strike. So i dont really see how this game caters to offense when most of the “top” usually wait for your mistakes before attacking.

• It comes down to this, its completely fine that backpedaling is slower than going forward, and that you lose stamina by blocking but not for hitting your enemy, this keeps offense stronger than defense and forces action. But what is not fine is that you will be hard pressed blocking for so long that you will actually run out of stamina, because you are much more likely to be dead first. Feinting gives you WAAAY too much reward for what little risk you invest, there are very few weapons that can contest a feint from a 1 hander, and they tend to be 1 handers themselves, and you have to literally guess if your opponent is going to feint or not, and the best case scenario for you is blocking and losing stamina.

You are either on offense, or you are dying.

• Also, you will NEVER see a good player block unless they absolutely have to because they know what a HUGE HANDICAP they will be in if they are in a position where they have to block. They will try to contest everything by attacking rather than blocking, just spamming combos into air and feints to get around ur blocks if you ever come close enough.

• I like partially disagree:

I agree that being offensive is usually better, eventually if you keep attacking the other will run out of stamina before you, unless you go like super buck wild crazy on feints.

Playing defensively does have it’s advantages too and you can win on defense for sure. There’s just a little medium you have to reach. One thing you DON’T want to do is just parry the whole time, you will run out of stamina. You have to eventually attack. This is why when i see guys getting 2v1 or 3v1 and all they are doing is parrying, i just have to say a short prayer for the poor soul.

Eventually, you need to turn one of those parries into a counter… pick your moment, and then combo it, combo feint it, whatever you gotta do… if there’s more than one person, combo from person to person, whoever seems open for a hit.

I think a better way instead of saying offensive is best… i think that rather smart offense is needed and smart defense… and knowing which to use at what time. Just because someone goes balls to the wall at you swinging attacks and doing feints and combos and whatnot, that doesn’t mean they will win just because they are attacking. You have a brain too and can overcome his brain. This game is a battle of minds more than anything else.

“this shits chess, it ain’t checkers” -alonzo harris (training day)