I think its odd that weapons act like lightsabers

• It is so weird to see weapons barely touching enemies and doing the full damage. it also looks weird for stabs being dragged around body. why are weapons doing damage at the impact on the body? swords should only do damage as you are pulling the blade against an enemy’s body (except stab). axes and maces should damage on the impact but they should not be active for such a long time (you shouldnt be able to drag it for so long. i dont have the clear picture yet but changing things like this would make weapons feel so different i think. i know it may be hard to balance and i dont know what would be the best way yet.

• Sacrificing realism for gameplay. They have already tried more realistic “clanging off armor” type combat and just found it slow and clunky, as real medieval combat between heavily armored combatants probably was. Conscious design choice is conscious design choice, they’re not going to renege on it.

• @Daiyuki:

Sacrificing realism for gameplay. They have already tried more realistic “clanging off armor” type combat and just found it slow and clunky, as real medieval combat between heavily armored combatants probably was. Conscious design choice is conscious design choice, they’re not going to renege on it.

i dont think you understood my post. im talking about weapons getting dragged and doing full damage at the end of release where it should have lost momentum. swings should have a sweet spot.

• He does get it, he is just speaking about it as a general realism change that more than likely will not happen due to the nature of how the game was designed.

• I get what you’re saying OP, it would be nice if damage was based off traditional values or a damage arc, hopefully demdevs will be able to integrate it.

• The sweet spot idea seems interesting, since i’ve seen opponents getting hit at the very end of a lmb swing, only to be caught at the start of the 2nd combo swing almost instantaneously. Maybe swings contacting at the end of the animation should do 25% less damage?

• I’m in favor of reduced damage at the extreme edges of swings. It fixes a few things and should have a relatively small impact on gameplay.

Some things it fixes
    -Lookdown overheads now deal less damage
    -Vanguards and Knights will no longer be as able to kill someone off their screen. (my head has been squished one too many times by a Knight when I was behind him)

It could break some 1handers though, due to their already relatively miniscule tracer area.

• Reduce drag time, sure, but also reduce how long an activated parry lasts for (while increasing the recovery so you can’t just spam it after the change)

• @The:

Reduce drag time, sure, but also reduce how long an activated parry lasts for (while increasing the recovery so you can’t just spam it after the change)

Lol? so you want a parry that lasts 0.2 sec but has 0.8 cooldown? i mean really? it takes longer to hold up your weapon than to swing it now?

• @Daiyuki:

Sacrificing realism for gameplay. They have already tried more realistic “clanging off armor” type combat and just found it slow and clunky, as real medieval combat between heavily armored combatants probably was. Conscious design choice is conscious design choice, they’re not going to renege on it.

That’s one thing, but the state the game is in now is another entirely.

Picture this: You’re an MAA. someone vertical swings at you. They miss. Or so it seemed, but the very last pixel of their sword just grazed your helmet. You are now dead because that one pixel delivered the full brunt of the attack. How is that fair?

• @Skream:

@Daiyuki:

Picture this: You’re an MAA. someone vertical swings at you. They miss. Or so it seemed, but the very last pixel of their sword just grazed your helmet. You are now dead because that one pixel delivered the full brunt of the attack. How is that fair?

I play MAA and I don’t mind. It was within the tolerances (in that there are none!) for damage to be delt. I wasn’t good enough to avoid it so I take damage.

What DOES piss me off is when I approach someone from behind and I get decapitated by a swing they started for another person. Just in that bit of startup.

• @boomandvibe:

@The:

Reduce drag time, sure, but also reduce how long an activated parry lasts for (while increasing the recovery so you can’t just spam it after the change)

Lol? so you want a parry that lasts 0.2 sec but has 0.8 cooldown? i mean really? it takes longer to hold up your weapon than to swing it now?

I never said 0.2 sec. It’s 0.5 sec now, something like 0.4 second, a small reduction, would be fine. As well, a small reduction to drag damage or length (by reducing release times) would be alright.

If you invalidate drags, delays and overheads, all you have left to bypass a parry is feinting, which would be terrible.

• @Skream:

@Daiyuki:

Yeah, reverse swung mauls going slower than a pat on the back that blast a head open or send the body flying. Forget fair, the whole thing just looks bad. It’s not very engaging.

• @Mike_Effing_Jones:

reverse swung mauls

Funny you say that… that’s EXACTLY what I was thinking.

• @The:

@boomandvibe:

@The Radiant:

I never said 0.2 sec. It’s 0.5 sec now, something like 0.4 second, a small reduction, would be fine. As well, a small reduction to drag damage or length (by reducing release times) would be alright.

If you invalidate drags, delays and overheads, all you have left to bypass a parry is feinting, which would be terrible.

i actually liked the parry before the patch. 0.5 duration 0.4 cooldown. you could actually pull off a successful second parry to a feint swing if you got your footwork right.

• I have a feeling the devs will make attacks do less damage at the end of the swing.

• @Dr.Nick:

I have a feeling the devs will make attacks do less damage at the end of the swing.

I think they should figure out how long each weapon is, then calculate how much damage is done based on how many pixels hit the player. Because, the very last pixel of a sword dealing 100+ damage is just stupid.

• @Dr.Nick:

I have a feeling the devs will make attacks do less damage at the end of the swing.

that is how it should be. but most of feinted attacks do dmg at the beginning of release.

• @boomandvibe:

most of feinted attacks do dmg at the beginning of release.

I guess someone got feinted, poor little kid

• @Dr.Nick:

And then I would probably quit because @The:

I doubt this the direction they will head, but if they do, it will no longer be the game I want to play. That would alienate a lot of peoples playstyles (especially mine) and IMO have a very negative effect on combat and make it very stale.

If damage was changed for the start of swings I could understand, but a weapon that has already been swinging would not always do less damage, as depending on the weapon it may have built more momentum than in the middle of your swing, or at least retained a lot of it. It is more the animations at the end of release that make it seem silly, like you are just patting the guy gently. I would suggest making the animations sync better with how damage is being dealt before gimping dragged swings. An example: Move release to be a slower, more defined swing on longer weapons that doesn’t start as far behind you, lifts up above or to your side (depending on swing type of course) and sweeps through your field of view quicker than is now, and a slightly more defined and obvious ending of release.

Even shortening release and adding it somewhere else in the swing would be a better fix for gameplay on the weapons that have long release rather than changing damage during certain points of release, but I like the game as is, and do not want any changes to drags/accels.