Greatsword vs Claymore | Longsword vs Sword of War

• I’m having a hard time deciding which one to use. (Data values: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc … TZnc#gid=1)

I “only” have 80 hours played, but I usually do pretty well and end up in top 3 on the scoreboard. My duel record also isn’t too shabby, 80-20 something. In other words I don’t have that much experience.

I’ve played with the Claymore mostly, and while I find that on this board people consider it inferior (data values kind of support this as well), I’ve gotten so used to it that every time I try to play as knight with Sword of War I constantly misjudge my own range :(

I am kind of undecided on the Greatsword. It’s the best looking sword in my opinion, and the range is nice. I have however not used it enough to really get a feel for it.

Now moving on the the Knight weapons, I find that while Sword of War is perhaps the best “all around”, the bad aesthetics of it are really putting me off. It almost looks like a 2D model. Hence, I usually end up going with the Longsword (who also has more similar range to the Claymore, the weapon I am most used to).

I’ve not really ever used the Messer much, because my playstyle mostly involves stabs/overheads, and the Messer is pretty terrible at stabbing. The Zweihander can be fun to pull out in a FFA server for maximum LMB-helicoptering, but then again its weakest attack is the stab.

What are your thoughts on the best sword?

• Pre-patch, greatsword was the way to go because it had a faster combo as part of a bug. After the patch, I really like the claymore more over it. I like the greatsword in certain situations like if I’m going to play more of a support vanguard than a clutch one, but I just enjoy the claymore’s speed. Unfortunately the claymore can have a hard time even two shotting vanguards, so I say they’re probably pretty even with each other. Maybe the greatsword is a tad too slow since the patch, but that might just be because I haven’t given it much more practice since then. Greatsword’s range is really, really nice though. I guess if you care about FFA, greatsword is my go-to weapon for it (even more so than the zweihander, really).

And the SoW is by far superior to the longsword in every way. There’s absolutely no reason to ever use the longsword over the SoW. The SoW can do everything the longsword can but faster and with stronger stabs, and the range difference is almost non-existent. The longsword may have better left clicks but, everyone knows overheads and stabs are far more important.

• @SOC:

Pre-patch, greatsword was the way to go because it had a faster combo as part of a bug. After the patch, I really like the claymore more over it. I like the greatsword in certain situations like if I’m going to play more of a support vanguard than a clutch one, but I just enjoy the claymore’s speed. Unfortunately the claymore can have a hard time even two shotting vanguards, so I say they’re probably pretty even with each other. Maybe the greatsword is a tad too slow since the patch, but that might just be because I haven’t given it much more practice since then. Greatsword’s range is really, really nice though. I guess if you care about FFA, greatsword is my go-to weapon for it (even more so than the zweihander, really).

And the SoW is by far superior to the longsword in every way. There’s absolutely no reason to ever use the longsword over the SoW. The SoW can do everything the longsword can but faster and with stronger stabs, and the range difference is almost non-existent. The longsword may have better left clicks but, everyone knows overheads and stabs are far more important.

I always take longsword over sow. First, the stab doesent matter. It takes the same amount of hits to kill a knight/vanguard/maa. The only difference here is that the longsword can 1 shot archers. The rest is the same, no need to look at the damage. Second I find the longsword actually much longer. The speed is almost the same for me. I’d say both are exactly same dangerous. Only difference is the lenght, the speed and 1 shotting archers.
    And yes, overheads and stabs are more important

• @Fryseboks:

I am kind of undecided on the Greatsword. It’s the best looking sword in my opinion

And that’s why I consider it the best sword.

• @tomahawku:

First, the stab doesent matter.

I don’t know who you’re playing against, but if you think stab doesn’t matter I’m really interested in watching you and your enemies fight each other.

@tomahawku:

It takes the same amount of hits to kill a knight/vanguard/maa. The only difference here is that the longsword can 1 shot archers. The rest is the same, no need to look at the damage.

The SoW will consistently 3 shot knights and 2 shot vanguards/MaAs more often than the longsword due to the better stab and the superior speed. Longsword will sometimes take 4 hits to kill a knight, and 3 to a vanguard when you hit their bottom torso on accident, which is sometimes unavoidable. Considering most players incorporate many many stabs in their fights, this makes SoW better since left clicks aren’t as useful which is all the longsword has going for it.

@tomahawku:

Second I find the longsword actually much longer. The speed is almost the same for me. I’d say both are exactly same dangerous. Only difference is the lenght, the speed and 1 shotting archers.

I don’t find the longsword much longer at all. If you try all three attacks on a wall with the longsword then with the SoW, you’ll probably find there’s extremely little difference. I definitely don’t feel any difference when fighting players, but to each their own. The speed is definitely noticeable, the SoW is significantly harder to flinch during windup and often will force other weapons to play a little more defensively such as the longsword and greatsword.

Yes, you can one shot archers with an overhead to the head but most of the time you won’t when you try, so the time-to-kill with 2 hits to an archer is better on the SoW than the longsword.

Also, I don’t quite understand how you say overheads and stabs are more important at the bottom of your post but at the top you said stabs don’t matter.

• Greatsword vs Claymore
    Greatsword is straight up better than claymore. There is no reason to ever grab the claymore.
    Greatsword has:

1. Better reach.
    2. Better damage.
    3. Better windups (opening with greatsword stab is terrible, but the claymore stab isn’t fast enough to be worth mentioning either and the greatsword overhead is faster in a noticeable way).

Claymore has:

1. A much faster combo into stab at the cost of a slightly slower combo into overhead. This is the one thing you can do with the claymore where you will genuinely outperform the greatsword.
    2. Ever so slightly faster releases on the slash and overhead, which means bupkiss because hits connect as fast as you need them to (accel) and a longer release means more drag power.

Longsword vs Sword of War
    The windups on longsword and sow are exactly the same. The combos are almost the exact same, except the sow is .05s faster on stab. ‘Flinachability’ is not meaningfully different. The reach is slightless less, and the sword of war stab has a slightly shorter release (which means its reach is less still, because that’s less movement you can put into your stab). If you like to play the enemy’s reach with the longsword and use the stab as a frequent opener, switching to the sword of war will be a noticeable but minor decrease in your ability to reach out and touch people with your deathstick.

Damage really does go to the sword of war. The longsword has relatively balanced damages - 30/34/33 to knight torso. No matter what attack you’re dropping, you’re contributing roughly equally to your opponent’s death. If you land any one headshot, you are guaranteed a 3-hit kill (ignoring leg shots). Without a single headshot, you can’t land any slashes and you need at least one overhead. The SoW has very imbalanced damages - 26/30/38 to knight torso. This means you pretty much have to ignore your slashes unless you get lucky, and even your overhead is anemic, but if you focus on your one good attack you can put out massive damage. The stab is also very fast to perform because of its short release, so combofeint machinegunning it is a totally valid life decision.

The sword of war is better at dragging slashes (which you really shouldn’t use on the sow) and worse at dragging overheads (which is something I haven’t really seen with sow anyway. The sow seems to mostly be a feint into stab type of weapon).

• I never use LMB on any weapon. Unless its a 1h.
    I tested the sow and it has almost the exact same speed, but nothing world changing. Feels like that for me
    The damage, like I said, is pretty much the same if we look at the amount of hit required to kill, unless your opponent recovers or you hit the leg.
    Both do same 3hit combo dmg. For example I do mostly stab, overhead stab with longsword - Knight dies (or the other way)
    Same goes for vanguard, just only that they die in 2 hits. Archers die from 1 overhead (on head)
    sow did the same job, only that i couldnt 1hit archers
    I know, the damage numbers are different, but the amount of effort required is exactly the same.
    An opening with the longsword stab is also a bonus for me for the greater lenght (even if its minimal)
    The BIG reason I take longsword? The lenght.
    We could only argue about the length or speed on these two weapons actually

Edit: I meant the stab dmg compared to longsword

• @SOC:

@tomahawku:

First, the stab doesent matter.

I don’t know who you’re playing against, but if you think stab doesn’t matter I’m really interested in watching you and your enemies fight each other.

@tomahawku:

It takes the same amount of hits to kill a knight/vanguard/maa. The only difference here is that the longsword can 1 shot archers. The rest is the same, no need to look at the damage.

The SoW will consistently 3 shot knights and 2 shot vanguards/MaAs more often than the longsword due to the better stab and the superior speed. Longsword will sometimes take 4 hits to kill a knight, and 3 to a vanguard when you hit their bottom torso on accident, which is sometimes unavoidable. Considering most players incorporate many many stabs in their fights, this makes SoW better since left clicks aren’t as useful which is all the longsword has going for it.

@tomahawku:

Second I find the longsword actually much longer. The speed is almost the same for me. I’d say both are exactly same dangerous. Only difference is the lenght, the speed and 1 shotting archers.

I don’t find the longsword much longer at all. If you try all three attacks on a wall with the longsword then with the SoW, you’ll probably find there’s extremely little difference. I definitely don’t feel any difference when fighting players, but to each their own. The speed is definitely noticeable, the SoW is significantly harder to flinch during windup and often will force other weapons to play a little more defensively such as the longsword and greatsword.

Yes, you can one shot archers with an overhead to the head but most of the time you won’t when you try, so the time-to-kill with 2 hits to an archer is better on the SoW than the longsword.

Also, I don’t quite understand how you say overheads and stabs are more important at the bottom of your post but at the top you said stabs don’t matter.

There are many inconsistencies with this. Longsword and SoW have same windup, you won’t have an easier time flinching either. SoW has faster stab release, but that does not change flinching it.

Overhead is better on longsword so I don’t know why you are saying left click is all longsword has. I also 1 shot archers all the time, as I have a very good understanding of where tracers go when I swing. I almost never take 4 hits to kill a knight, and I almost never have had to 3 hit a vanguard/Maa unless he healed between strikes, because I use the attacks that kill them the fastest, just like SoW users. Longsword can 2 shot a vanguard with 2 overheads to torso, allowing slightly more variety, as 2 longsword stabs will still kill a vanguard. If any 1 attack hits the head of a vanguard from longsword, any torso hit will kill him, allowing total freedom of attack choice. Same principle against knights, with SoW you have to throw at least 1 stab unless you want to always 4 shot a knight and 3 hit a vanguard, meaning they will almost ALWAYS expect at least 1 stab from you, making you slightly more predictable.

I am not going to choose a weapon that has a stronger attack of one type then use the weaker attack, I pick longsword because I prefer to overhead, not stab all day. I have been using weapons with primary damage attack as overhead since launch (poleaxe, grandmace, longsword and now sometimes zweihander) and prefer to rely on overhead.

It is a playstyle choice as has been said many times. They are very similar weapons with different attack specialties.

• Greatsword for killing Archers in one shot and dancing a lot, Claymore for more of a straight-up style than can utilize its great counter-attack speed off a perfect parry. Those stabs and overheads can come out fast all of a sudden and get you a nice headshot win, while Greatsword is still pretty easy to read, but drags a lot better and has the range to dance effectively.