Semi-Holdable Parry System

• Feinting is a popular topic and some have suggested holdable parry and I thought of it as a bad idea and dismissed prematurely. I think changing parry MIGHT be the solution to this problem. So here’s my new suggestion that has borrowed the idea from holdable parry.

Semi-holdable parry (Yea stupid term I know)

You can hold your parry up to XXX amount of time, not much longer than the current parry time, which is 0.5 seconds. Let’s just say you can hold up your parry up to 0.7 seconds for example.

But the longer you hold, the longer the cooldown between your parry will be. If you hold the full 0.7 seconds, your parry will have 0.7 ~ 1 sec cooldown before you can use your parry again.

But what if you didn’t hold up your parry and tapped it only for a short time? You guessed it. You will have a short parry cooldown!!!

Buh… buh… but what does this mean?
    This means if you have enough skill to know when to time your parry correctly (right before a swing lands) then you have the option to raise your parry quickly again to block that nasty feint you so hate!!!

That is too overpowered, isn’t it? Are you stupid?
    No and maybe. By quickly tapping your parry, you have a chance to block that feint again, but you will be completely vulnerable to any kind of delayed attacks! Even if an attack is delayed 0.1 sec, you are very much likely to get hit by that than feint!

Chivalry is a guessing game! We don’t want to make the game unwinnable!
    Hold it right there! We dont want to change the core fun factor of the game! Making the parry system like this won’t change a thing! Trust me. I have a PhD in Idea Brainstorming. Even if you make the parry like this, players will still have to guess what kind of attack the enemy will do. Delayed? Feint? Delayed attacks will become as important as feinting! Isn’t that exciting?

So what do you say folks? Vote boom for president and I will guarantee to bring more fun to the community!

• Sounds good. Also makes shields and parries more alike which is good. I like it.

• I like the current parry system better
    this system is way too forgiving for when you screw up

also stop spamming threads
    post your ideas in the threads already about them, so your terrible ideas will just get washed away like normal

• @BB:

I like the current parry system better

post your ideas in the threads already about them, so your terrible ideas will just get washed away like normal

I like my idea better. The current system is too forgiving for delayed attacks.

I see only a few of my threads, each of them talking about different topic.

• @BB:

Agreed, we dont want parrying to be stupidly simple

• @elitenoob:

@BB:

Agreed, we dont want parrying to be stupidly simple

I agree. Right now parrying is one click wonder. With my suggestion, you have to make small adjustments so it’s more complex.

• While a longer parry might be beneficial to deal with lag issues I don’t really see how it helps with feints because I would expect people do just do multiple feints if they see you doing a long parry. And on the second feint you are even more screwed due to a longer cooldown.

• @gregcau:

While a longer parry might be beneficial to deal with lag issues I don’t really see how it helps with feints because I would expect people do just do multiple feints if they see you doing a long parry. And on the second feint you are even more screwed due to a longer cooldown.

You don’t have to be blocking all the time. If they do multiple feints and you just let them feint more than once, I think you deserve to be punished.

Also, If you held your parry for a short time, you could only get short cooldown. So as long as you don’t hold it too long, multiple feints wouldn’t be a problem but delayed or accelerated attacks will be a bigger problem.

I think this type of parry system will make feints less reliable than now but make delayed and accelerated attacks more dangerous. Isn’t that what people want?

• This is a horrible, horrifically bad idea that’s incredibly unintuitive and strange. It would play terribly.

• @boomandvibe:

The current system is too forgiving for delayed attacks.

I don’t know if you’re trying to be clever, or just being dumb on purpose

@boomandvibe:

I see only a few of my threads, each of them talking about different topic.

that’s too many, and each of them are terrible

• I can’t see this working out better than the current parry system.
    Here’s how I would do holdable blocks+parries

When you press parry/block you have a .3-.4 window where the incoming attack will be parried. Parrying an attack would function just like it does currently, giving you time to counterattack and everything else. If you miss that .3-.4 window then you can still hold your block as long as you want but you will take a huge amount of stamina and small amount of damage. You will be staggered slightly like you have been hit normally so you can’t start an attack right after blocking. The attack that you “blocked” will still continue on through you so that the person will stand a chance against multiple opponents. You would of course still have to aim your block, if the enemy gets around it then you take full damage.

Just a design idea.

• Can’t hold a parry. That’s called a block.

• @BB:

The current parry system is terrible…. terrible, and I’m not using hyperbole its just that bad. Atm good players never parry they will just dance and spam moves b/c of how weak and easily countered the option of parrying is.

• @theuprising:

@BB:

The current parry system is terrible…. terrible, and I’m not using hyperbole its just that bad. Atm good players never parry they will just dance and spam moves b/c of how weak and easily countered the option of parrying is.

Except that’s wrong, and you don’t actually know what good players do

• @BB:

@theuprising:

@BB:

Except that’s wrong, and you don’t actually know what good players do

XD, yiss me lord

• @theuprising:

@BB:

If you played a good Vanguard I can see where you would get this impression. The Whirling Blade of Doom style works well enough against people eager for the kill and is also employed by surrounded Knights with good spatial awareness.

Parry is, however, quite important. You’ll be punished if you use it exclusively though, which is where footwork and evasion come in, but players that “dance and spam moves” are utilizing parry just as much. You should venture into the thread complaining about the feint-to-parry “exploit” for an example =p