Increase Collision Box Against Enemies

• So, a common complaint about Chivalry combat (and Man-at-arms in general) is the concept of “facehugging.” In the light of the recent kick nerf, this has become a more endemic problem for newer players.

In the interest of accounting for this, I’d like to suggest what I find is an elegantly simple solution: increase the radius around which enemies cannot enter. This could potentially be implemented only forward, or forward and backward, or just all around the player.

I don’t see any negative impact this would have on the game; it’s a little minor, but I think it’s one of those small changes that’d make a big impact.

• Or ou could actually use that mouse of yours to block.

I don’t want to be running into any forcefields.

• Interesting solution. I don’t like facehugging because… well trying to get this close to an opponent with heavier armor is really a one-way ticket to hell. On the other hand I am not sure how I could easily beat any opponent that seriously outclasses me…

• @Eleshar_Vermillion:

Interesting solution. I don’t like facehugging because… well trying to get this close to an opponent with heavier armor is really a one-way ticket to hell. On the other hand I am not sure how I could easily beat any opponent that seriously outclasses me…

Facehug is fine. If you don’t like it, go play a different game.

• @NikolaiLev:

So, a common complaint about Chivalry combat (and Man-at-arms in general) is the concept of “facehugging.” In the light of the recent kick nerf, this has become a more endemic problem for newer players.

Have you played the Beta - it is far less of an issue than it is in live due to the better ability to block facehuggers. No more dane axe or falchion striking past blocks.

• We’ve considered testing this already actually, but it isn’t a simple change code-wise because the engine basically handles all objects with collision the same. Right now we can only change collision for allies, enemies and terrain simultaneously. When we’ve got support for it we’ll see how it feels on beta.

• @gregcau:

Have you played the Beta - it is far less of an issue than it is in live due to the better ability to block facehuggers. No more dane axe or falchion striking past blocks.

Yup. I can’t give feedback for this because the suggestion isn’t for my own sake. I can deal with facehuggers just fine, but a lot of newer players seem to get turned off by it, and I feel making them a little easier to deal with wouldn’t really affect higher-level play much.

@SlyGoat:

We’ve considered testing this already actually, but it isn’t a simple change code-wise because the engine basically handles all objects with collision the same. Right now we can only change collision for allies, enemies and terrain simultaneously. When we’ve got support for it we’ll see how it feels on beta.

Good to know it’s been considered. Hopefully the engine constraints can be worked out so it can be tested.