How to record at 30 fps but play at higher fps?

• I got an okay computer and I want to record games but I have never recorded anything. Can you record at 30 fps but play at 90 fps? Is it possible?

My rig is
    i7-3930k hexacore
    Dual SLI Gtx 680
    32 GB ram
    dual 512 GB SSD

• Of course, just limit the frames captured in your capture program

• MSI Afterburner. It’s like a free, significantly better FRAPS which can also be used for GPU overclocking.

• Oh Afterburner. Ive only used fraps and it limited the in game fps. How is Dxtory? Ive been googling and people say dxtory is pretty good.

• @SlyGoat:

MSI Afterburner. It’s like a free, significantly better FRAPS which can also be used for GPU overclocking.

I never cared for Afterburner. Fraps and Dxtory for life.

If you want to you can also record at 60 fps (or 90 or 120 or whatever) and just render the video at 30 with an editing program like vegas.

• An okay computer? That’s a fucking alien quantum computer. :o

I recommend getting a pci-e capture card. I’m leaning towards getting the Avermedia live gamer HD myself. 1080p capture with no fps drop, records at 30 fps but you play in-game at whatever framerate you normally can sustain.

• Also just noticed the computer specs….wtf man…way to make me feel bad about my own set up.

And yeah a capture device is the shiz if you can afford it and it runs on your computer. You have to posses a bit of know how to get it working though.

• @The:

An okay computer? That’s a fucking alien quantum computer. :o

I recommend getting a pci-e capture card. I’m leaning towards getting the Avermedia live gamer HD myself. 1080p capture with no fps drop, records at 30 fps but you play in-game at whatever framerate you normally can sustain.

Argh i dont have an empty pcie slot to use. I have a separate sound card. Damn it.

• Well there happens to be another thing you can use but you’ll want to talk to their support staff to make sure it will work with your computer setup. It’s called the Black Magic Intensity Shuttle. You hook it up between your video card and your monitor.

• http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmen … HD.en.html

That works too, the only issue is you have to get a powered hdmi splitter because it doesn’t get enough power on its own without it.

• I’ve been using MSI Afterburner. Fraps works better for other things though so I keep it around.

MSI Settings:
    MJPG
    85~100% (100% seems to get more blacks on final compress… definitely an option if you’re going to play a darker map and have the drive space)
    full frame
    30fps
    framerate limiter disabled

8 threads (i7)
    crop video dimensions checked (just because of editing program I use)

Also, I have it not downmixing the multichannel audio… I found that chiv’s music stopped if I tried downmixing, this could just be my machine though.

• gotta agree with the guys using afterburner, i live by afterburner now. I’ve never had any issues with it, it’s free and does everything that the others do (i believe).

Only real difference i notice is that fraps makes colors seem a bit brighter? idk if this is true but it seems that way for me. I like afterburner, it looks exactly as it does to me at 30fps on youtube. Gets great frames, and number 1 thing i love is that it doesnt cause me to lag while recording.

I used fraps on and off for a while, it’s actually what i recorded with for like the first month i started recording and i thought it was great. However, after a bit, it started lagging my games when i played. I can’t have that. Nothing about my system changed, and it’s a pretty beast machine, and to have fraps lag me out was just unacceptable. I’ve switched to afterburner and haven’t looked back.

I think the advantage the programs like fraps and dxtory used to have was that they were able to record from multiple audio devices, which afterburner USED to not be able to do. They’ve had a number of updates since then and can do a lot more including multiple sound devices. You can also split the tracks so that when you go to edit, say you have some part where you don’t want your voice in there, but want to keep the in game sounds, you can do this because it has the ability to put voice and game sound on different audio tracks to split and edit separately.

I’m still learning a lot about this stuff, but seriously afterburner is beast. Just make sure… since it’s also a graphics card overclocker, you may have conflicts if you have an evga card, and use precision. they both use an RTSS tool, and they conflict with eachother. My advice for this is if you use evga precision, just disable precision and start using afterburner for your overclock tool as well, it does the exact same shit.

• @The:

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/na/mainmenu/products/capture-convert/GameCaptureHD.en.html

That works too, the only issue is you have to get a powered hdmi splitter because it doesn’t get enough power on its own without it.

And the fact that it’s $180….

• i feel capture cards are only useful if you want to be able to process and upload shit on another machine while still being able to play at the same time. The ONLY reason i would spend 180 bucks is to do this. That way, i can have my capture on my gaming rig, send it to a drive on another rig, and then when i’m done recording, i can do all the processing on the other machine, whilst i continue to game and record more shit on my gaming rig. This is the only thing i can see that may be worth it for.

I’ve seen capture card recordings, they are no more high def than the shit we record, looks exactly the same… so if you don’t plan on working on video’s WHILE you play… i don’t see the point. What other uses?

• Global Moderator

Bandicam bitches.

It can do everything fraps and MSI afterburner can do. It also records with a really low file size but still retaining high quality. So you don’t need an external hardrive or dot need to worry about your main one filling up.

Once you get bandicam you will realise that fraps is a POS.

I think its $29.99 US. there is a free version but that had a watermark at the top of the screen and limits you to 10 minutes per recording.

• @lemonater47:

Bandicam bitches.

this actually looks like quite a program, may have to test it out.

• @clayton-bigsby:

i feel capture cards are only useful if you want to be able to process and upload shit on another machine while still being able to play at the same time. The ONLY reason i would spend 180 bucks is to do this. That way, i can have my capture on my gaming rig, send it to a drive on another rig, and then when i’m done recording, i can do all the processing on the other machine, whilst i continue to game and record more shit on my gaming rig. This is the only thing i can see that may be worth it for.

I’ve seen capture card recordings, they are no more high def than the shit we record, looks exactly the same… so if you don’t plan on working on video’s WHILE you play… i don’t see the point. What other uses?

Using any program to capture 1080p full resolution video will cause most systems to suffer a performance hit, and some extra latency. Even a beast system I can just tell when it’s recording. An internal capture card doing the work for me while my system is free to focus entirely on the game? Now that’s good.

Just my opinion. And $180 really isn’t that much when it comes to a PC. Even a mid range video card costs more than that. It’s still an investment but definitely one I can stomach for the result.

• why not just spend 180$ more on your cpu lol … cuzzz that’s what i did apparently lol.

• I use Afterburner as well. Free program with lots of utility. I record at 60 fps so I can slow the video down when I need/want for the cool moments ;)

I have a pretty solid computer, but I still take a performance hit. You’re more than likely going to see a drop in performance if your capture method is software based only.

Chivalry also isn’t the most optimized game out there, and in fact runs pretty poorly in comparison to other big name titles. I can run certain games maxed in eyefinity (5760X1080) better than I can run Chivalry on a single monitor with decreased settings. Just something to keep in mind.

• Global Moderator

@HEXEN:

I use Afterburner as well. Free program with lots of utility. I record at 60 fps so I can slow the video down when I need/want for the cool moments ;)

I have a pretty solid computer, but I still take a performance hit. You’re more than likely going to see a drop in performance if your capture method is software based only.

Chivalry also isn’t the most optimized game out there, and in fact runs pretty poorly in comparison to other big name titles. I can run certain games maxed in eyefinity (5760X1080) better than I can run Chivalry on a single monitor with decreased settings. Just something to keep in mind.

Chivalry is actually a pretty awfull game to record with.

I use bandicam and that has a very minimal frame rate drop for games. Usually around a 5% drop. Without the massive file size.

For chivarly it can be anywhere from that to 30% drop. And it fluctuates lots. Though fraps brutally murders my computer in 1080 bandicam doesn’t.

Though I can’t actually get up to 60FPs in game mostly normally. If I turn off dynamic shadows I can in some places of some maps but not usually.