Archers

• There are probably alot of archer threads out there already but Im making one anyways. I think that the archer class has been buffed abit too much.
    I play quite much archer myself and I find it abit too easy tbh, if I compare the amount of hours Ive spent on getting good at melee with what Ive spent to get good at archery its clear that archery is way easier to advance in. I havent been playing that much archery compared to melee but still its so easy to get on the top of the scoreboard on an average public server.

Also I think that the public servers are getting ruined because 90% of the times the defending team consists of atleast 50% archers.

So either more servers need an archer limit or the class needs to be nerfed. I love the class and I really enjoy playing it, but I think it should require abit more skill than it does right now. Maybe not like it was before it got buffed in the first patch (in november) but somewhere inbetween that and what it is now.

Edit: Correction: the main issue is not that archers are OP but that too many people are playing them. If archers were nerfed again this wouldnt be the case, but the best solution would be to put up archer limits on more servers.

• @Mean:

archer class has been buffed abit too much

Huh, there was no buff.

Just take a shield and go beat the archers up. A little zig-zag and they miss anyway.

And no on pub servers archers rarely get to the top of the leaderboard, I think you are exaggerating.

• Archer wasn’t buffed in the content patch. In fact, it’s been somewhat nerfed in that the weapons take longer to recover than they used to. Randomly shooting into crowds to rack up kills gets you votekicked, so you actually have to be a good shot to score high. And in melee combat, you don’t get to make any mistakes or you will die. I don’t know of anyone who gets to the top of the leaderboard as an archer who hasn’t put a lot of time into playing the class.

• i do not think archers are to strong or easy at the moment. it takes a lot of skill to top the scoreboard if you are playing as an archer.
    I do think there are sometimes to many archers in a server though. If almost half the attacking team in a TO match consists of archers (this does happen) they can never succeed.

• @Woodzi:

If almost half the attacking team in a TO match consists of archers (this does happen) they can never succeed.

Yup, you can’t take ground with air power.
    [attachment=0:1ywooy4k]crossbow.jpg[/attachment:1ywooy4k]

• @gregcau:

@Mean:

archer class has been buffed abit too much

Huh, there was no buff.

Just take a shield and go beat the archers up. A little zig-zag and they miss anyway.

And no on pub servers archers rarely get to the top of the leaderboard, I think you are exaggerating.

Im not talking about the recent content update, but the patch that came in november. I just wanted to compare how the archers were when the game was released and how they are now. I think they were too underpowered back then but now they are abit too easy, and has been since november.

• @Woodzi:

If almost half the attacking team in a TO match consists of archers (this does happen) they can never succeed.

Thats true in most cases, but even if they lose, the game itself wont be very much fun when the majority are archers.

• But sure, I agree that the best option would be to limit the amount of archers on more servers. Then they wouldnt need to be nerfed, since the biggest issue is that too many people are playing the class and its simply ruining the melee combat in public games.

• @Mean:

Also I think that the public servers are getting ruined because 90% of the times the defending team consists of atleast 50% archers.

Well when you have rank 42s abusing the hell out of the mechanics what do you expect?

Not much fun when the 400+ hour losers are using feint-alt-overhead lookdowns to get an instant hit.

• Mean,

How much time in your life have you spent playing FPS games vs FP melee games? Maybe that’s why you picked up archery faster.

Like others, I totally don’t agree that archers easily top the scoreboard. Only experienced archers do, and most of them do so because they are so good in melee that they can rack up kills with their secondary. I’d say maybe 1 game is 10 (at best) is topped by an archer.

• Can we get an archer limit on some (if not all) of the official servers? Pretty boring to walk into the LTS pubs and have 9/12 people as archers on the opposing team. Even if you get through the projectile spam… ain’t nobody got time for that!

• I agree, it’s becoming a bit ridiculous.

Archers don’t do anything but disrupt fights. This is why they’re annoying. As childish and petty as it may sound, people, even in FFA, want fair fights, and archers generally don’t kill you, but instead make you die to the person you’re fighting and maybe trying to prove yourself to.

MAA have their own problems, but the MAA style of picking off weak opponents is fine because MAAs are forced to become part of the fight themselves.

Getting hit by an arrow from what feels like a mile away while you’re busy trying to battle other people feels cheap.

Archers die very easily, and are very easy to kill, but this doesn’t excuse how annoying they can be.

I was in an FFA earlier where about 6 people decided to play archers, and the whole rest of the server ganged up on them. That was fun, but it’s obvious that this is becoming an issue the more people learn how to use (and perhaps abuse) certain things in the game.

• @Alex:

Archers don’t do anything but disrupt fights. This is why they’re annoying. As childish and petty as it may sound, people, even in FFA, want fair fights, and archers generally don’t kill you, but instead make you die to the person you’re fighting and maybe trying to prove yourself to.

I play archer all the time and my teammates thank me for saving their butts by disrupting an enemy who’s locked them into a defensive stance. Meanwhile, I’m constantly getting LMB spams by the Vanguards and Knights on my own team rushing in to steal melee kills from me.

Sounds like you should be playing on a duel server anyway.

• I agree on the archers being a bit overpowered, meaning for the opponents to use shields, and desert vanguard. The fact that most of them archers are noobs wanting do not invalidate the point.

Good archers got good stats, poor archers do not, no doubt. It is also easier as an archer to avoid a melee gangbang which is the consequence, in crowded servers, of the desire of not picking up kills and fair/dueling way of fighting.

I don’t think nerfing archers will solve the TO pubs problem. People bought a CHIVALRY melee game but apparently feel more appealing to avoid risk and melee, mostly when they are new to the game. They will keep doing it with or without nerf, it is more about behaviour than thought strategy.
    Playing fps has nothing to do with the ability to land a hit with the particular way of aiming a bow.

Having some variety, a specific role with archer is fine. 1 for 5 or 6 players seems good to me. More and it is moving the game around arrows.

Problem with archers is it is ruining TO if they are with you (useless teammates for obj), against you (luck and TK praising arrow rain first, poor challenge in melee then). You can’t attack with them, hardly defend with them and the disrupt/flinch/noobTK thing is just more lame to add.

To sum up, main problem with this class is getting good with is lamer than being bad with it. On the contrary, being good with melee weapons is funnier than being bad (with the mighty LMB) with it.

• The butthurt on this thread warms the place where my heart should be.

How I envision posters who complain about the existence of archers in a medieval combat game:
    [attachment=0:2xvl0s0g]babyandsword2.jpg[/attachment:2xvl0s0g]

• I think the problem with archers is that you can have half or more of a defending team go archer and still win a match. If the archers are even semi decent they’ll pick off some of your team just getting to them, and then use their number advantage against anyone who actually makes it. I think the real problem isn’t their ranged attacks but some of their secondaries (such as the cudgel) are too strong right now so even if a player manages to survive the volleys of arrows they still don’t have much room to make a mistake against an archer (cudgel 3 hits knights of all things).

I think putting limits on the number of archers on a server combined with nerfing some of their secondaries would go a long way. Perhaps even give increased stamina cost for archers to block.

• For every good archer there are ten nooby archers.

Its a hard class to balance as its the class thy requires the most skill. When ou learn how to play as an archer its pretty easy and your only real threat is other archers regardless of skill.

• I’d like archers to be slightly debuffed but since this would require a lot of discussions, why don’t we get an archers limit on every official server?

I believe the devs have created 3 melee classes to have them actually played. Yet most of the time half the players are archers, and this merely ruins the game as a lot of forumers have already underlined it. We need an archer limit (3 archers a team on a 24-slot server would be fine). Those who don’t want to play anything but archer will still find servers that welcome them.

Tl;dr set an archers limit on official servers. Don’t worry this won’t make anyone quit the game nor prevent people from purchasing it.

• Don’t care for the nerfing as much as a limit in the official pubs especially LTS. Theres usually only 2 populated Official LTS servers and they are mostly enjoyable. Everyone once in a while 80% of the people decide they want to be robin hood for the map. 3-4 archers is manageable, 6+ is a buzz killer. Ain’t nobody got time for that!