A couple bugs/tweaks

• I had a lot of fun playing this game, here are a few issues I have:

• Sprinting and attacking is based on button initiation, not whether or not it is held down. In other words, if you hold down attack while the weapon switching animation is playing, it won’t attack until you click again after the animation finishes. This also makes sprinting annoying, because if something stops you sprinting (running into something, jumping down a ledge) you can have shift held but not be sprinting. Combine this with unclear sprinting animations, it can be hard do tell if you are sprinting.* Mouse sensitivity should go lower. Even at the lowest setting it’s pretty high for me. Also, I wish we could set a multiplier to lower sensitivity when using the bow/crossbow.* Could we have follow projectiles as a toggle? It’s somewhat awkward to use right now. Also, crouch and zoom toggle/hold.* Menus for teams and loadouts should be closable with the escape key. Also loadouts should be remembered, right now they are reset even if you change them while alive.* I think the man-at-arms class should move just a teensy bit faster, right now it’s barely enough to catch up to a knight.

• To your last point: Currently every class has the same maximum forward speed. The man-at-arms has faster acceleration and faster strafe/backpeddal speed while the knight has the lowest acceleration and strafe/backpeddal. When you’re moving towards an enemy and they’re near the center of your screen, you’ll notice the dot turns red - this isn’t just to show that the target is an enemy. As long as your cursor dot is red it means your maximum forward speed is increased so that enemies who try to run away or rush past you to reach an objective can be chased down.

This was a balance decision and mechanic that was implemented in response to certain tactics in AoC, both in and out of combat, such as objective rushing and turning your back on an enemy to sprint away and create more distance, before turning around and attacking - it was very powerful as a way of exploiting longer range weapons, but it simply didn’t feel at all like a natural game mechanic. The aim of Chivalry is to keep you fighting an enemy 'til the bitter end - knowing that even if you turn tail and run you’ll be chased down eventually keeps people pushing forward, and prevents single players from trying to rush the objectives themselves rather than doing it with their team.

• Interesting. That said, I don’t see why a light class shouldn’t be able to run to an objective faster.

• @NtiT:

Interesting. That said, I don’t see why a light class shouldn’t be able to run to an objective faster.

It isn’t much of an issue with current objectives, but once capture the flag (Capture the Loot) is in the game it would be a real bother. People avoided playing CTF maps in AoC because of how easy it was for one player to grab the flag and run off with it if they were playing the man-at-arms, since only another man-at-arms could ever catch them. Similarly for other maps where the objective is to grab and carry something somewhere.

I can already see it being really annoying for the peasant slaughtering in stoneshill, having a super fast man-at-arms just sprinting around the peasants slashing while nobody can catch up to him.

• Well, they would have to be catchable with the already in-game speed boost if you are behind someone. I’d also like to repeat my first issue, it really is the one thing that annoys my consistently with this game:

Sprinting and attacking is based on button initiation, not whether or not it is held down. In other words, if you hold down attack while the weapon switching animation is playing, it won’t attack until you click again after the animation finishes. This also makes sprinting annoying, because if something stops you sprinting (running into something, jumping down a ledge) you can have shift held but not be sprinting. Combine this with unclear sprinting animations, it can be hard do tell if you are sprinting.

• I agree with that. Actually I have a somewhat radical idea of how to change a lot of things like that and optimize button usage that I’m going to post about later.