Fast parry (no footage how it is done)

• Here is some footage, so everybody can see, what the fuck this shit is and does.

It’s also for the people, who think it shouldn’t be fixed, but it will.

bwr7nEJNKic

Q6NcqZj4Ocg

8B_T3MyfZy0

pY409EMMypk

• Only thing that I find bugish with that, is that the animation don’t always play through when perfoming that move.

• What essentially is happening is that you can change your ini settings to instantly block if you press rmb during the windup of a swing, and thus if you start a combo after a swing, your swing is in windup as soon as your swing ends, meaning you can instantly block when your swing ends. Otherwise, if you don’t combo and try and parry, you will have to wait through the recovery time of the swing.

The only downside of doing this is essentially you are cancelling your windup/feinting, causing more stamina loss than if you let your sword recover normally.

Any buff to parry is a welcome buff however…

• @theuprising:

Any buff to parry is a welcome buff however…

I would agree if it wouldnt make some weapons completely useless.

• This is hold news. Personally i think thus shouldnt be allowed and you should br punished for missing an attack. But all the top players use this and they dont want this to be fixed. NO ONE. Vq, Lg, Interitus they ALL use this.

i want to see how well they player if this guys fixed. More than 50% will suck after this.

• @boomandvibe:

But all the top players use this and they dont want this to be fixed.

No one who enjoys seeing weapons other than 1hers remain competitive wants this fixed. I’m sorry, but if you think this needs removed from the game you have absolutely zero grasp on any of Chivalry’s inner workings. The fastest 2h recovery time in the game is .7s. That is a punishment window so long my grandmother could stab you in it. There exists a class in the game with an ability explicitly designed to be able to turn perfectly good hits into misses at the press of a button. Anytime you try to attack using the full extent of your weapon’s reach, your opponent can make that miss by moving back some.

Removing this from the game does several things:

1. MaA is the only viable 1v1 class. They can force misses easily, and they can punish misses the most easily. They avoid your hit, wait until you stop comboing, then smack you. You have no counter to this except to pull out a 1her and try to do the same to them, except they’re faster and have dodge. It’s basically the current situation but a thousand times worse.

2. Even the tankier classes will almost always use 1hers. The combination of slow windup speed (telegraphing your attack further in advance), weakness of reach (attacking at full reach makes you more likely to miss, giving your opponent a free hit), and huge recoveries (making it even easier for your opponent to punish your miss) means 2hers might as well not exist. If they “fix” this, they might as well patch 2hers out of the game at the same time because they’d be worthless.

P.S., @theuprising, none of this requires ini modifications. Combo, RMBx2 or combo, Q, RMB. You can get it down to combo, single button press with the ini, but lots of people don’t bother.

• Oh no my friend, its not a bug but more an intended idiotic mechanic in this game

• DSMatticus is absolutely right. Really the only thing that should be fixed is the fact that you have to hit an attack button (to combo) in order to quickly block. Torn Banner should make it easier on everyone and just allow you to feint out of recovery at an increased stamina cost.

• I only have one question……

How do I do this?
    ;)

• ^^^^^^

Same Question.

• I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Every attack I saw in both videos was done right at the end of the other players swing and thus, should be able to parry the incoming attack as clearly shown.

The speed of a parry is the exact same as the shield performing the exact same action… yet the OP isn’t complaining about the shield doing the exact same thing.

Sure the animation looks a bit screwy, but it’s a bit time consuming to create every single animation for every single type of attack. Swing, Alt Swing, Overhead, Alt Overhead, Thrust, etc… they would all require a specific animation for each. Just because the parry animation snaps into place based on the standard parry animation after an attack, that doesn’t mean it’s wrong to have it possible to do.

If you or the other guy in the other video attacked sooner, the guy would have been hit before he could parry… I do it all the time, and at times, I’ve blocked quickly after the end of one of my attacks as well… everybody can do it, both with a shield and a 2h weapon… so long as the animation and action of your last attack has ended, you can do this and it’s the exact same speed as it is in any other situation.

There is plenty of time between the moment his attack misses you and when he can parry/block for you to get a strike in.

Personally I don’t see a need for changing this.

But if it was to be fixed, what sort of fix would you be looking for?

Doesn’t help much to show a possible problem, demand it be fixed, yet offer no solutions to it.

Whatever solution is made, it needs to work for both Shields and 2H weapons… it also needs to work in relation to combos.

@DSMatticus:

No one who enjoys seeing weapons other than 1hers remain competitive wants this fixed. I’m sorry, but if you think this needs removed from the game you have absolutely zero grasp on any of Chivalry’s inner workings. The fastest 2h recovery time in the game is .7s. That is a punishment window so long my grandmother could stab you in it. There exists a class in the game with an ability explicitly designed to be able to turn perfectly good hits into misses at the press of a button. Anytime you try to attack using the full extent of your weapon’s reach, your opponent can make that miss by moving back some.

1. MaA is the only viable 1v1 class. They can force misses easily, and they can punish misses the most easily. They avoid your hit, wait until you stop comboing, then smack you. You have no counter to this except to pull out a 1her and try to do the same to them, except they’re faster and have dodge. It’s basically the current situation but a thousand times worse.

2. Even the tankier classes will almost always use 1hers. The combination of slow windup speed (telegraphing your attack further in advance), weakness of reach (attacking at full reach makes you more likely to miss, giving your opponent a free hit), and huge recoveries (making it even easier for your opponent to punish your miss) means 2hers might as well not exist. If they “fix” this, they might as well patch 2hers out of the game at the same time because they’d be worthless.

P.S., @theuprising, none of this requires ini modifications. Combo, RMBx2 or combo, Q, RMB. You can get it down to combo, single button press with the ini, but lots of people don’t bother.

Gotta agree…. people want some way for 2H weapons to be viable against feint spammers… then let’s say that’s fixed somehow, but then remove this ability to block decently after an attack and thus, left wide open for a very easy hit every single time they swing… you’d just have people come right back in here to complain that 2H weapons are useless and not a viable weapon to use… yet again.

I don’t use 2H weapons often myself, but I still understand that they need some sort of balance in the game for those who wish to use them.

I’m fine with this remaining in the game, but the real issue I have with 2H weapons is that they seem to block more area of their body than a shield does. When I swing at the feet of an enemy with a kite shield and they don’t look down or crouch, I can hit them… but if I do the same thing against a 2H weapon user, no matter what, it seems as though they block their entire front area and also don’t have to turn as much to block a hit from the sides compared to someone with a shield.

Make their area of parry the proper size based on the weapon’s size and this sort of quick parrying won’t be much of an issue at all because you could still end up hitting somewhere else on their body that’s exposed.

imo of course.

• @Harbinger:

I only have one question……

How do I do this?
    ;)

attack - combo - feint - parry

• You can’t feint in the release of your weapon, you have to wait for the combo before you can feint into a parry, which is fine. You can almost always capitalize on an opponents misjudged swing before the release is over.

• You don’t even need to edit the ini files to achieve a one button windup/combo to parry. Basically the same thing can be done if you hit the ground if you miss a swing accidentally. I think it would be cool if there were no combo feints in general.

• @DSMatticus:

@boomandvibe:

But all the top players use this and they dont want this to be fixed.

Noone is talking about huge recoveries just the intended recovery time wich is being bypassed. This exploit makes spears and other slow weapons useless in 5on5 unless you feint. Also if you cant beat MaA’s without this bug then im sorry but you are terrible at this game, the players i know beat all of the MaA’s out there without this bug. Too much theorycrafting.

Actually this is a nerf to 2H, a nerf to footwork and properly reading weapon ranges / recovery times and a nice buff for 1H, since missing with them means nothing anymore. I dont know why its so hard to see for some people, obviously never played a real 5on5 against 5 dedicated combo parry abusers. Hopefully over time people will realize how much this fucks the game

@Cpt-Praxius:

I don’t see what all the fuss is about. Every attack I saw in both videos was done right at the end of the other players swing and thus, should be able to parry the incoming attack as clearly shown.

The speed of a parry is the exact same as the shield performing the exact same action… yet the OP isn’t complaining about the shield doing the exact same thing.

Its not, its actually faster and you can perform it even faster then in the videos shown. Also its insanely fast on onehanders.

@The:

You can’t feint in the release of your weapon, you have to wait for the combo before you can feint into a parry, which is fine. You can almost always capitalize on an opponents misjudged swing before the release is over.

“you have to wait for the combo” do you even realize that its WAY faster then the normal release? And no you cant always capitalize earlier, when the person doing the combo parry has a onehander its next to impossible.

I want to see how anyone hits me in that tiny recovery window with any twohander while im using the norse sword doing this. Lol.

• @boomandvibe:

NO ONE. Vq, Lg, Interitus they ALL use this.

I don’t use this and would love for it to be fixed.

• @boomandvibe:

This is hold news. Personally i think thus shouldnt be allowed and you should br punished for missing an attack. But all the top players use this and they dont want this to be fixed. NO ONE. Vq, Lg, Interitus they ALL use this.

i want to see how well they player if this guys fixed. More than 50% will suck after this.

^This,
    So many of the “high level” players use cheap stuff like this and aren’t actually very good at the ‘real part’ of the game. I see this kind of abuse of the game mechanics as lowering the skill ceiling of the game. Anyone can alter ini files or used advanced programmed macros, but if everyone did this the skill ceiling would be low and the game would be stale. Going into some “high level” duels can be like this….its very 1 dimensional and sad when people exploit one mechanic over and over and over and hail themselves as a true high level player !!! :o

• I find it funny because if the idea of expending 15 stamina to completely avoid your recovery was ever bought up on the old AoC forums, you would have been shot down by the community, fast. There were no second chances in AoC if you missed/entered recovery. Why has it taken 6 months for this issue to surface though when it’s essentially a by-product of the feinting mechanic? Is this perhaps another case of it being used so rarely in the past it meant little, but now ‘everyone’ does it, it has become as much of a gimmick as feints and lookdown overheads?

• @Martin:

I find it funny because if the idea of expending 15 stamina to completely avoid your recovery was ever bought up on the old AoC forums, you would have been shot down by the community, fast. There were no second chances in AoC if you missed/entered recovery. Why has it taken 6 months for this issue to surface though when it’s essentially a by-product of the feinting mechanic? Is this perhaps another case of it being used so rarely in the past it meant little, but now ‘everyone’ does it, it has become as much of a gimmick as feints and lookdown overheads?

I personally believe this problem came up after someone posted the thread on how to change your config to make RMB instantly block instead of going to feint first. People were definetly not using this exploit on this scale 1-2 month ago. (european scene atleast, maybe there we were people who were doing it for way longer but definetly not the comp players/high skilled duelists i have played with/against). Now almost everyone does it.

This exploit takes away alot of the footwork aspect and essentially lowers the skill ceiling.

A possible solution could be to make it impossible to feint for a small amount of time when starting a new combo, until the normal recovery time is reached. This would also fix the bearded axe combo feint exploiting, and other slow twohanded weapons that profit from this recovery times bypass exploit. Also it would make it harder to effectively combofeint (smaller window for feint that has to be learned).

• Yeah Martin. True words. How would the AoC guardsmen duels be if you could use extra stam to cancel windup or recoveries