Why the shield is still good even after the nerf:

• Though getting kicked gives the enemy a free hit, its MUCH easier to avoid and anticipate a kick than a feint.

• Shield is fine as is. It fits certain roles nicely, but isn’t OP in any way, much like most things in this game. I was a shield user, but after the kick thing I rekindled my love for the Sword of War and haven’t looked back. Point of my post, shields still usable but not like they use to be.

• The shield is still VERY good right now, I just wouldn’t say it is still op against everything. You don’t want to use a shield against MaA (as Knight at least). You really want to use a shield against a Vanguard, as it completely negates his range advantage. A Vanguard who has to fight in face hug range is a dead Vanguard.

So imho:
    -shield versus MaA: bad, but not up
    -shield versus Vg: VERY strong, maybe op
    -shield versus Knight: balanced

So shields in general shouldn’t be nerfed any further. I think some small tweaks would be good so Vanguards wouldn’t be that handicapped against shields. (especially Spear weapons…Spear against shield is suicide)

• @Falc:

The shield is still VERY good right now, I just wouldn’t say it is still op against everything. You don’t want to use a shield against MaA (as Knight at least). You really want to use a shield against a Vanguard, as it completely negates his range advantage. A Vanguard who has to fight in face hug range is a dead Vanguard.

So imho:

So shields in general shouldn’t be nerfed any further. I think some small tweaks would be good so Vanguards wouldn’t be that handicapped against shields. (especially Spear weapons…Spear against shield is suicide)

Jump overhead with a spear. Headshot all the time.

• @Falc:

The shield is still VERY good right now, I just wouldn’t say it is still op against everything. You don’t want to use a shield against MaA (as Knight at least). You really want to use a shield against a Vanguard, as it completely negates his range advantage. A Vanguard who has to fight in face hug range is a dead Vanguard.

So imho:

Why is shield bad vs maa?

• @rumpelstiltskin:

@Falc:

So imho:

Yeah I actually find a shield is a great counter to face hugging MaAs, of course you have to look 90 degrees one way and then 180 degrees the other way and if they’re using the falchion, the dane axe or a dagger forget it, but still better than trying to block with a slow two hander.

• @lemonater47:

Jump overhead with a Spear. Headshot all the time.

Does not work 3 times in a row against anyone. Does not work once against a decent player. If you let your enemy get into facehug range with a spear you are dead. There is absolutely no way to prevent just that against a shield. Spear versus Knight with shield is the most messed up matchup at the moment.

@rumpelstiltskin:

Its bad if you are a Knight (its not bad if you are MaA yourself). You have to exert pressure to kill (skilled) MaA, which is harder with a shield which lowers the speed of your counter attacks and limits your range to 1h. MaA already have a huge mobility advantage, you really need all the speed and reach you can get (imho of course). The shorter your weapon the easier it is to dodge for a MaA. But of course there are also benefits of using a shield against MaA. I just think you are better off with Longsword/SoW than a shield. Especially if you don’t have a Broadsword as your secondary.
    Maybe “bad” is too much. Now that I think of it I would call it “slightly disadvantaged” :D
    Its more about 2h vs 1h than shield vs no shield. If your primary is a maul, I’d go shield + secondary no matter what ^^
    This is more of my personal opinion unlike Spear vs Knight with shield (which is just lol…in a sad way^^)

• The only time I find shield UP ironically is up against other Knights, since they are all up on your face all the time anyways. Shield is great against MaA because it stops them from camping as much. As a person who plays Maa after the patch, its actually fairly risky trying to kick a knight, b/c a knight will just attack whenever you get close, trying to hit trade everything.

• Shields are good at the moment. After playing with them for a bit you get used to watching out for kicks/bashes and can lower your shield (or not raise it) to avoid the big stun.

The only downfall of the shield at the moment are those attacks that simply go through. Both the attacker and defender see the hit pass through the shield, usually stabs.
    However from my understanding this is due ‘facehugger’ range issues and should be fixed next patch. Which will make the shield even better. It would be a very bad idea to remove the kick big-stun on shield, unless Kick is reverted to the super fast mode it was previously.

• @Falc:

@lemonater47:

Jump overhead with a Spear. Headshot all the time.

Does not work 3 times in a row against anyone. Does not work once against a decent player. If you let your enemy get into facehug range with a spear you are dead. There is absolutely no way to prevent just that against a shield. Spear versus Knight with shield is the most messed up matchup at the moment.

@rumpelstiltskin:

Its bad if you are a Knight (its not bad if you are MaA yourself). You have to exert pressure to kill (skilled) MaA, which is harder with a shield which lowers the speed of your counter attacks and limits your range to 1h. MaA already have a huge mobility advantage, you really need all the speed and reach you can get (imho of course). The shorter your weapon the easier it is to dodge for a MaA. But of course there are also benefits of using a shield against MaA. I just think you are better off with Longsword/SoW than a shield. Especially if you don’t have a Broadsword as your secondary.
    Maybe “bad” is too much. Now that I think of it I would call it “slightly disadvantaged” :D
    Its more about 2h vs 1h than shield vs no shield. If your primary is a maul, I’d go shield + secondary no matter what ^^
    This is more of my personal opinion unlike Spear vs Knight with shield (which is just lol…in a sad way^^)

Works against many good players once. And with the brandistock which deals 90 damage standard overhead and with the headshot you usually get you have pretty much damaged him to be one hit with anything else.

That’s why you magically push the number 2 on your keyboard and pull out your secondary. :o

• @lemonater47:

Works against many good players once. And with the brandistock which deals 90 damage standard overhead and with the headshot you usually get you have pretty much damaged him to be one hit with anything else.

That’s why you magically push the number 2 on your keyboard and pull out your secondary. :o

Against Knight armor thats 56 damage( WITH the headshot). Far from being “one hit with anything else”.

And changing your weapon in face hug range is at least one free hit for your enemy. Will most likely get you killed since you die after the second hit.

There is simply no arguing. Spears versus Knight+shield is so unbalanced there is no denying it. Spears need to use their range to be viable. They are the slowest weapon in the game with mediocre damage on a squishy class. If you don’t let them use their range advantage they become low damage mauls that cannot combo. Shields are only vulnerable in face hug range. Spear in face hug range = BAD.

• Kite shield and buckler still extremely good in duels, shields suck in anything higher then 2on2 tough. The lack of mobility makes them really lackluster in 5on5+