More Graphic Tweaks for those wanting more FPS

• I know I have posted a bunch of ini tweaks to help those with potatoes for computers. Well here is another set that I have been using that seems to help quite a bit. What this set does is to turn your texture resolutions down on everything from the world to the amount of detail on player models. You can actually control how detailed or “blurry” these textures look. The lower the resolution the less processing your potato has to do and the more FPS you will get in return. From my testing on this set of cvars I now get pretty solid FPS. Yeah it is not as pretty but I would rather play better than to be dazzled and have shitty FPS.

Now there is some instructions to this and hopefully you will have enough knowledge not to screw up your game. Now what I have done is to lower TEXTUREGROUP’s LOD resolutions of the various texture groups. Most of these are pretty obvious by their names. These lowered settings are the ones I have been using but you could even lower them from where I have set them. In many cases I have lowered them by half so if the setting is 256 I lowered them to 128. In some cases I have lowered them to 1/4 of the default. Try my settings first and see what you get. You can raise them or lower them you suit your potato. I also recommend lowering them in increments of 1/2 at a time which is how these resolutions are usually made. Ok so lets get this started.

Goto your UDKSystemSettings.ini file and create a back up.
    Then open it up in Notepad.
    Copy and paste these exact lines where they first exist. Don’t worry about the duplicates that fall under the other “Buckets”. The buckets are duplicate settings for different screen resolutions.
    Once you have pasted them, save the file.
    Then right-click the file and go to properties.
    Then put a check in the “READ ONLY” and close. What this will do is stop Chivalry from writing over your tweaks back to default settings.
    Run your game….

TEXTUREGROUP_World=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldNormalMap=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WorldSpecular=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Character=(MinLODSize=64,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterNormalMap=(MinLODSize=64,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_CharacterSpecular=(MinLODSize=64,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Weapon=(MinLODSize=64,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponNormalMap=(MinLODSize=64,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_WeaponSpecular=(MinLODSize=64,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Vehicle=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleNormalMap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_VehicleSpecular=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Cinematic=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Effects=(MinLODSize=64,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_EffectsNotFiltered=(MinLODSize=128,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=2,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Skybox=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_UI=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=1,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Lightmap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Shadowmap=(MinLODSize=256,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,NumStreamedMips=3,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_RenderTarget=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_MobileFlattened=(MinLODSize=8,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_Face=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ProcBuilding_LightMap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Heightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Terrain_Weightmap=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    TEXTUREGROUP_ImageBasedReflection=(MinLODSize=64,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=2,MinMagFilter=aniso,MipFilter=linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_Blur5)
    TEXTUREGROUP_Bokeh=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=128,LODBias=2,MinMagFilter=Linear,MipFilter=Linear,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)
    PerformedBucketing=True
    OriginalBucket=5
    SoundMinCompressed=3
    TEXTUREGROUP_ColorLookupTable=(MinLODSize=1,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0,MinMagFilter=Aniso,MipFilter=Point,MipGenSettings=TMGS_SimpleAverage)

• Of there is the video in my signature which works for tons of games and is easier to do.

Turning off dynamic shadows also gives a large boost to performance.

• Yeah , done that and had to go further….

• I couldn’t save it, well I could, but I’d have to rename it… and I’m scared I will screw my game up

• @jordanrw8:

I couldn’t save it, well I could, but I’d have to rename it… and I’m scared I will screw my game up

make a copy of the original and rename it by adding defaut to the end of the name then make the changes in the copy and keep the name UDKSystemSettings.ini That way if it doesn’t help enough then delete it and remove the “defaut” and you have your original one back