Is it possible to parry arrows?

• I know the skill to do this effectively would be inhuman (aka hacking), but I’m kind of curious. It feels like sometimes I’ve accidentally parried some arrows, with a broadsword or other non-shielded weapons.

Is it actually possible, from an engine standpoint, to deflect an arrow using your parry?

• No, I do not believe you can parry an arrow in Chivalry.

• Engine standpoint?

Yes.

Current game mechanics?

No

Just run around trying to be a hard target to hit. Your best option.

• @Lann094:

It feels like sometimes I’ve accidentally parried some arrows, with a broadsword or other non-shielded weapons.

It is “possible”. It happens all the time and your feeling is valid.

I already wrote about in another threat, but r40 naps felt like they need to defend Chivalry yet again saying it never happened to them or their friends… bla bla.

It’s actually not parrying but bug. Arrow hits aren’t registered. It mostly happens from a rather close vicinity when shoting from like 2-15 meters. Arrow hits you and all archer notice is soft “tick” sound.

I’m glad that someone playing “another side” (melee) noticed that. ;)

• Is that why I see people using parry when I shoot arrows at them. I’ve always wondered.

• Bruce Lee died trying.

• @Peacerer:

@Lann094:

It feels like sometimes I’ve accidentally parried some arrows, with a broadsword or other non-shielded weapons.

I already wrote about in another threat, but r40 naps felt like they need to defend Chivalry yet again saying it never happened to them or their friends… bla bla.

It’s actually not parrying but bug. Arrow hits aren’t registered. It mostly happens from a rather close vicinity when shoting from like 2-15 meters. Arrow hits you and all archer notice is soft “tick” sound.

The tick is from hitting the ground. It always plays now no matter what when you hit ground or an object. I am not sure if its a bug but it does get rather annoying as it plays the sound next to your ear no matter what, maybe to make hits/misses more obvious.

@elitenoob:

Bruce Lee died trying.

lmao

• @elitenoob:

Bruce Lee died trying.

I guess his son Brandon Lee followed his father’s footsteps when he tried to dodge a bullet and failed?

• I kind of figured that since parry blocks the hitbox of melee weapons, it could perhaps block the tiny hit box of a projectile. It could have just been a slightly innaccurate shot that tinked off the shield on my back, but I still felt really badass when it happened nonetheless.

@Cpt-Praxius:

Just run around trying to be a hard target to hit. Your best option.

I find my best defense against arrows is to have some sort of shield on my back and spin 180° to catch them.

• Yeah I noticed the soft tick as well. I feel I have parried arrows as melee and have had them parried as a archer. Or it coincidentally bug\misses and makes the tick right when it hits the player.

Occasionally some players seem immune to all ranged weapons, kinda makes me think hacks? One such player in ffa I even hit multiple times with fire pots to the face and he did not catch on fire!

• @Anonymoose:

@Peacerer:

@Lann094:

The tick is from hitting the ground. It always plays now no matter what when you hit ground or an object. I am not sure if its a bug but it does get rather annoying as it plays the sound next to your ear no matter what, maybe to make hits/misses more obvious.

@elitenoob:

Bruce Lee died trying.

lmao

It happens even when i shoot upwards. When there’s nothing but a horizon behind the target. I guess, i hit clouds in the sky…

• It happens even when i shoot upwards. When there’s nothing but a horizon behind the target. I guess, i hit clouds in the sky…

Actually it might be hitting the skybox - there are certain boundaries to how far you can operate: while you can’t legally move out of the pre-made location your projectiles can, but since you aren’t supposed to be there nothing is there. What you see as a horizon is nothing more than a wall painted to look like a horizon or an empty space with an invisible wall next to it. Either way your arrow is hitting an obstacle.

• @Holy.Death:

It happens even when i shoot upwards. When there’s nothing but a horizon behind the target. I guess, i hit clouds in the sky…

Actually it might be hitting the skybox - there are certain boundaries to how far you can operate: while you can’t legally move out of the pre-made location your projectiles can, but since you aren’t supposed to be there nothing is there. What you see as a horizon is nothing more than a wall painted to look like a horizon or an empty space with an invisible wall next to it. Either way your arrow is hitting an obstacle.

In that case the “tick” sound would delay for quite few mili/second.

It’s interesting how hard some people try to find and explain things, like there isnt any bug. Instead of actually admit what many of us already know and complain to devs so (eventually) such glitches would be fixed. But i see we are moving from death point now, because finally at least you can’t deny anymore such things/bugs don’t exist.

• It should be possible to parry throwing knives, javelins and axes; it’s actually not that hard to do in real life if you know they’re coming as they don’t fly that fast. I’ve caught rubber tipped javelins many times and parried other projectiles travelling at similar speeds. Of course the parry timing has to be perfect.

• While it would be awesome, no, parry hitboxes don’t affect projectiles. I’m not sure exactly why, since shields do, but I figure it was a conscious design choice. Ask a dev when you see them in-game! Maybe they just truly never thought of it?

As for the “tick” sound, I don’t really know what you guys are talking about. That annoying thunk-into-gravel sound when you miss is supposed to represent the arrow hitting dirt I guess, but I much preferred having just an audio and visual cue on hit rather than an audio cue on both hit and miss. Speaking of which, I seem to have noticed the reverse of people in this thread; sometimes I hear no hit and my crosshair doesn’t light up red, but I have clearly hit the target (who flinched and is now bloodied). I guess this is the reverse of seeing a hit and hearing a miss, which indeed does happen at close ranges more than long ranges, where you see an arrow stuck in a guy and he has taken no damage (which has been reported before).

Another freebie archery bug: Crossbows clip right through shields at close enough range, allowing you to shoot someone in the face right through their shield if they come up to you and give you a hug. Or you run up to them, as I have hilariously seen a few times… Using a crossbow like a shotgun is pretty sweet.

• @Daiyuki:

While it would be awesome, no, parry hitboxes don’t affect projectiles. I’m not sure exactly why, since shields do, but I figure it was a conscious design choice. Ask a dev when you see them in-game! Maybe they just truly never thought of it?

As for the “tick” sound, I don’t really know what you guys are talking about. That annoying thunk-into-gravel sound when you miss is supposed to represent the arrow hitting dirt I guess, but I much preferred having just an audio and visual cue on hit rather than an audio cue on both hit and miss. Speaking of which, I seem to have noticed the reverse of people in this thread; sometimes I hear no hit and my crosshair doesn’t light up red, but I have clearly hit the target (who flinched and is now bloodied). I guess this is the reverse of seeing a hit and hearing a miss, which indeed does happen at close ranges more than long ranges, where you see an arrow stuck in a guy and he has taken no damage (which has been reported before).

Another freebie archery bug: Crossbows clip right through shields at close enough range, allowing you to shoot someone in the face right through their shield if they come up to you and give you a hug. Or you run up to them, as I have hilariously seen a few times… Using a crossbow like a shotgun is pretty sweet.

Sometimes the red crosshair is so quick you barely have time to see it. In the video I just put up in another thread I have a couple of those. Most of the time I hear the sound played out though. at 1:37 there is one, it just barely flashes red.

[youtubehd:25on9ehz]45O8egLbPWo[/youtubehd:25on9ehz]

• i wish you could parry all that shit. Only things you shouldn’t be able to parry are ballista spear/arrows… and catapult rocks. Also oil pot, but instead… you should be able to swing at an oil pot and baseball bat it back at the attacker lmao.

I also wish you could pick up any projectile your character could hold off the ground. Say you are a vanguard and equipped hatchets instead of throwing knives. I’d like to be able to pick up throwing knives off the ground too, since my character CAN equip them, just didn’t… but off the ground… why not? gimme those!

• @Anonymoose:

Sometimes the red crosshair is so quick you barely have time to see it. In the video I just put up in another thread I have a couple of those. Most of the time I hear the sound played out though. at 1:37 there is one, it just barely flashes red.

Definitely could be. I noticed that the “stays red if you die after scoring a hit” is still here, so we get the whole spectrum =p Nice plug of your FFA archery though lol. You’re THAT guy. Infinitely more satisfying with Javelins as I found out however, Short Spears are sweet =D That’s the only other thing that shouldn’t be parryable.

@clayton-bigsby:

i wish you could parry all that shit. Only things you shouldn’t be able to parry are ballista spear/arrows… and catapult rocks. Also oil pot, but instead… you should be able to swing at an oil pot and baseball bat it back at the attacker lmao.

You’d just explode it and get oil everywhere anyway =p

@clayton-bigsby:

I also wish you could pick up any projectile your character could hold off the ground. Say you are a vanguard and equipped hatchets instead of throwing knives. I’d like to be able to pick up throwing knives off the ground too, since my character CAN equip them, just didn’t… but off the ground… why not? gimme those!

Engine limitation I think. It could be feasible to get two slots for throwables though, just one is always empty until used for picking enemy throwables. The first is your personal supply, so you could run around with 4 throwing axes if you picked up two random ones, but your own go back to the first slot, so you couldn’t just throw both, reload ammo and then pick them up for 4 axes at spawn. Differentiating your own throwables from the enemy throwables would be the hard part I think.