How player customization could work

• Hi there.

I bet a lot of you want to customize your soldiers in Chivalry, like different helmets, different body armour, different coat of arms, different colour schemes on your shields and tabards, even a nice cloak! And I bet Torn Banner Studios know about this and that they’d love to have it too. This feature couldn’t come fast enough, though.

Anyways, here’s how it could work.

You go into your configurations, like you do now to switch on your Veteran helmet, or there’ll be a new option in the main menu. Anyways, you will be met with something similar to the Team Selection window from when you join a game.

Then you will get up a menu with the Archer, the Man-at-Arms, the Vanguard and the Knight of that team. Clicking on either class will bring up an image of him in a window, and this is how that soldier currently looks like. Beneath his image there will be a few options.

Helmet selection - When you start out, there are a few helmets already to choose from. There’s the standard ones, as is now, and then there’s (for the sake of this suggestion) four other helmets for each class to pick. They are all just different variations or helmet types, nothing that looks too fancy as to make the Veteran helmets unwanted. Ontop of the 4-5 standard ones, there would be a bunch of unlockable Veteran helmets.

Body selection - You will have the option to choose from a few different body models or just simple textures. When it comes to the Knights, Archers and Men-at-Arms, there could be three or four not too different models (like this or this for the Mason Knight.) When it comes to the Vanguards, there would be a lot of different textures for their tabards. For example: The Agatha Vanguard could get a completely blue tabard with a big white cross, or a completely white tabard with a golden cross, or half side blue-half side white, etc. Something like this below.

Shield selection - If the class has a shield, you can choose different patterns, colour schemes and coat of arms for it. In medieval times, many knights had their family’s coat of arms and colours on their shields. I’m not suggestion people will be able to upload their own pictures to use, then we’d just get a lot of stupid crap, but you get to choose from some already existing ones, as well as the patterns and the colour schemes. Example of very beautiful and diverse shields would be pavise shields (not pictured.)

I also suggest that most colour schemes and coat of arms are fitting to their respective army, like that Agatha get such things as lions and bright colours (blue and gold) while Mason get eagles and dark colours (red and black)

Unique feature - I will get to this later in this topic. It would be a special thing that unlocks when you’ve reached a certain level or unlocked a certain amount of achievements or played a certain amount of hours. I dunno, but something for a Chivalry Master.

HELMET EXAMPLES

Below I will show you images of all the classes in game and what helmets they could possibly have.
    The helmets to the left of the soldier would be the standard ones you can choose between from the start, and the ones on the right side of the soldier would be ones you unlock for Veteran status and such (I don’t know if the developers would like for them all to be unlocked at veteran status, or if they should be unlocked at different stages, say reaching Level 5, Level 10, Level 25 etc.)

AGATHA MAN-AT-ARMS

To the left, there’s two kettle hats and a Norman nasal helmet.
    To the right, there’s a kettle hat with eyeslits, a crusader-like spangenhelm and a sallet.

MASON MAN-AT-ARMS

To the left, there’s a bunch of different spangenhelms.
    To the right, there’s even more spangenhelms. First is a Rus’ one, second is a Celtic one, third is some kind of Viking one.

AGATHA KNIGHT

To the left, there’s a barbute, a bellows face sallet and a regular gothic sallet.
    To the right, there’s a pig faced bascinet, a great helm with ornaments and a bascinet with feathers (probably used for jousting, but feathers are cool)

Had a hard time finding cool and diverse Knight helmets on google, you’d think they’d be abundant.

MASON KNIGHT

To the left, there’s a varangian helmet (vikings in Constantinople) and two viking ones.
    To the right, there’s a Vendel era/Saxon helmet, a Saxon helmet and a Rus’ helmet.

AGATHA ARCHER

To the left, there’s various typical archer helmets.
    To the right, there’s a so-called gugel? Common medieval headwear, fit for archers.

I couldn’t really find any cool stuff for western archers, they all wore the same boring helmets. They could use kettle helmets, but I don’t know what you’d think about him sharing that with the Man-at-Arms.

MASON ARCHER

To the left, two eastern European-Mongol helmets and an archer’s spangenhelm without noseguard.
    To the right, there’s two more eastern/Mongol helmets and also, the gugel.

Yeah, I think the Mason Archer is definately from the east.

AGATHA and MASON VANGUARD

Since both classes are so similar, and there’s not that big variation on Great helms like theirs, I smashed them together. They get fewer helmets but at the same time, they get more body variations on their tabards.

To the left, there’s two crusader helmets/early Great helms.
    To the right, there’s an italian narrow-faced bascinet. Not a Great helm, but it looked so damn intimidating. As well as the helmet to the right of it, don’t know what that is.

Now, to the
    UNIQUE FEATURE

Everyone loves showing how awesome they are by obtaining an item that only high-level players can obtain. Everyone also loves cloaks or capes. Reaching a certain point in the game as a Knight will earn you:

And reaching a certain point in the game as an Archer will earn you:

I’m not sure about the Men-at-Arms and the Vanguards, though. I’m thinking a bit more armour for them, which of course won’t give them any other benefits than looking good. The Men-at-Arms could gain something like a cuirass (steel breatsplate) with some ornaments on perhaps, while the Vanguards could gain a bit stronger-looking armour, seen in the concept below, or they get cloaks as well. But I kind of wanted to avoid Men-at-Arms to be “left alone” with no cloaks while everyone else got them. The two defensive classes get them while the two offensive classes get something else, was my thinking.

And something like this for the Men-At-Arms:

That’s all from me, folks! Discuss and be civil :)

• Very nicely made! +1

• nice idea, (cosmetic)costumization is a thing i miss hard in chivalry.

• I don’t even know how to respond. this is an extremely detailed post :)

• Very well made, I also like the idea.

• i loved your ideas and it was nicely done and shown but i think that having the option of changing colours could be a bad idea cause then you will not know who is your enemy and who is friendly,
    unless there will be a way to make all agatha or masons colour the same for each person this will be impossible…

• finally a good customization thread :D

good job ! 8-)

• @Yoaw:

i loved your ideas and it was nicely done and shown but i think that having the option of changing colours could be a bad idea cause then you will not know who is your enemy and who is friendly,
    unless there will be a way to make all agatha or masons colour the same for each person this will be impossible…

That’s why I wrote this:

I also suggest that most colour schemes and coat of arms are fitting to their respective army, like that Agatha get such things as lions and bright colours (blue and gold) while Mason get eagles and dark colours (red and black)

Dark colours for Mason and bright colours for Agatha. When it comes to the Vanguard’s tabards, they’d mostly just change patterns while keeping the faction’s colours (blue, white and gold for Agatha, red and black for Mason). Like you could get a completely black tabard with a red eagle, or half black-half red, or black with a big red cross, or half black-half brown even.
    When it comes to shields, they’d be bright for the Agathians and dark for the Masons. Say an Mason Archer with a pavise shield, it’s got a few colours and a nice painting of two bears and a double bitted axe, but the background is black/red/dark. The Agathian Archer’s pavise shield, though, might have a motif containing a lion and two crossed swords with a latin motto beneath it, but the background is completely white.

EDIT:

Examples of Mason shield patterns (yes, I’m a sucker for vikings)

[image:2sehi73g]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nNm-iJDwnfg/UJSBDrrFWRI/AAAAAAAAV4M/Q7aZUhB3VGA/s1600/Varangian+guard.png[/image:2sehi73g]
    [image:2sehi73g]http://www.blackbirdmedia.org/miniatures/images/armies/other/shield.jpg[/image:2sehi73g]
    [image:2sehi73g]http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/106/1/d/working_in_my_viking_shield_by_swabaharjaz-d3e3ry7.jpg[/image:2sehi73g]
    [image:2sehi73g]http://www.dockmuseum.org.uk/images/dragon-shield_cut-out.png[/image:2sehi73g]
    [image:2sehi73g]http://th00.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2011/270/5/3/kite_shield_by_bloodredfullmoon-d4b4hxt.jpg[/image:2sehi73g]
    [image:2sehi73g]http://www.southernswords.co.uk/ekmps/shops/southernswords/images/wooden-viking-shield-painted-brown-black-3860-p.jpg[/image:2sehi73g]

See, just black, red and dark colours. With some white for decoration.

• Oh, and thank you all for the adorsements! :D Even though I’m not reinventing the wheel here, everyone wants something like this anyways.

Here would be some example of pavise/pavese shield patterns, and how beautiful they are. Imagine the darker ones/red-black-white ones to be Masons, and the other ones to belong to Agatha (imagine them being brighter/bluer/whiter/golden if you feel they are too similar)

[image:3m7wqma8]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a6/DHM_-_Pavese.jpg[/image:3m7wqma8]
    [image:3m7wqma8]http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2663/4299874042_f987acf23f.jpg[/image:3m7wqma8]
    [image:3m7wqma8]http://webpages.charter.net/apples/medieval/pavise-painted1.jpg[/image:3m7wqma8]
    [image:3m7wqma8]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Ussita_pavese_shield_Prag_Museum_1429.jpg[/image:3m7wqma8]
    [image:3m7wqma8]http://www.armouronline.com/foto/produkty_motivy/52_pavise_painted.jpg[/image:3m7wqma8]
    [image:3m7wqma8]http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/6182/senzatitolo4xa2.png[/image:3m7wqma8]

• @Yoaw:

i loved your ideas and it was nicely done and shown but i think that having the option of changing colours could be a bad idea cause then you will not know who is your enemy and who is friendly,

Well, you could have different colors that don’t match the team, as long if it were Free-For-All during it.

• Some very lazy art skill to support this idea.

“FOR THE BLUE AND GOLD!”

[image:3swgdykh]http://i.imgur.com/8tReMuw.png[/image:3swgdykh]

(Heck I just want only Red cross on my white surcoat in FAA)

• i think that you shouldnt be able to change the masons and agatha icon to different icons just so it will be more story lined… with the agatha lion and the masons eagle (if im not wrong)

• Very nice idea you have there. +1 support

• @EricFong:

Some very lazy art skill to support this idea.

“FOR THE BLUE AND GOLD!”

[image:mkzx3xjd]http://i.imgur.com/8tReMuw.png[/image:mkzx3xjd]

(Heck I just want only Red cross on my white surcoat in FAA)

Exactly what I was talking about! (though I’m not so sure on a gold background :P a white background with golden cross would be nice)

@Yoaw:

i think that you shouldnt be able to change the masons and agatha icon to different icons just so it will be more story lined… with the agatha lion and the masons eagle (if im not wrong)

Yeah, well… if we think historically, many knights decorated their shields with their own coat of arms. I’m thinking if we stick to the general theme, we stick to the storyline. Agathas have the colours blue, white and gold, they have the the lion and the cross as symbols. Mason have the colours red and black, they have the eagle and the fist as symbols. Sure. But the Agathians are clearly inspired by western and southern Europe and the Masons by the northern and eastern europe. If we could keep to the general artstyle of that, as well as the colours, and then have the Masons be able to choose from animals like eagles, bears, wolves, foxes, ravens, and then have the Agathians choose from animals like lions, prancing horses, griffons, dragons, even a peacock would look nice on a pavise. So the Masons have symbols to show power and cunningness, the Agathaians have symbols to show their fearlessness, beauty and purity.

The main heraldry would of course be the lion, cross, eagle and fists (fists being painted on their shields since the rebellion.) That’s the symbols of the banners, that’s the symbols the soldiers follow. But a huge potential for customization lies within the coat of arms on their shields, since, as I mentioned, Knights often had their own coat of arms on them. And I would so like to have a raven on my shield.

• I see Masons as Constantinople Vikings. Using a mix of Danish viking and Middle Eastern Armaments. Agathanians are obviously Europeans.

You could allow for the customization of a coat of arms around a main symbol, or with adornments on the helm, or pauldrons. A main Agathians or Mason icon sitting on the body, but the custom heraldry decorating other less prominent area’s. This would allow for an ease of identification on the battlefield, while still proving a level of personalization.

• @RavenDice:

I see Masons as Constantinople Vikings. Using a mix of Danish viking and Middle Eastern Armaments. Agathanians are obviously Europeans.

Take a map of Europe, draw a line between Iceland and Turkey. Everything left of that is Agatha, everything to the right is Mason. You can see Viking, Saxon, Vendel, Rus’, Varangian (=the Constantinople Vikings) and even further eastern influences than that in Mason. In Agatha, you see medieval English, French, Italian etc.

You could allow for the customization of a coat of arms around a main symbol, or with adornments on the helm, or pauldrons. A main Agathians or Mason icon sitting on the body, but the custom heraldry decorating other less prominent area’s. This would allow for an ease of identification on the battlefield, while still proving a level of personalization.

Yeah, we’ll see what will work the best when they test this :) I’m thinking mostly colour remaining the same for the teams, since that’s what you will use as identification on the battlefield. What ever decoration they have on their chest (mostly Vanguards) and their shields won’t come first hand. I mean, if you meet an Agatha Vanguard, you will probably notice he belongs to Agatha because of the blue and white tabard and not because of his little cross on his right side of the chest. That same Agatha Vanguard might still have a blue and white tabard but with a golden lion on his chest instead, or a big white cross on a blue tabard, or maybe even something similar to the welsh dragon but in gold. The Mason Vanguard could still have a completely red tabard, but maybe with a black bear on it instead.

I just want that red shield with a black raven on it, because that seems like it was a common theme for the Varangians when you look up pictures. :P

• This is a good idea. Really like all the helmets and shields you showed.
    Please Torn Banner, make this happen!

Great OP.

• @-Thylacine-:

This is a good idea. Really like all the helmets and shields you showed.
    Please Torn Banner, make this happen!

Great OP.

I hope they have had a look at this or at least have something similar planned! :) Well, of course they have customization options planned for the not-that-near future, so we’ll see how it turns out.

• I read all of this thread and I cannot find a single thing to complain about.
    Really well structured ideas.

You have my approval.

• Very Nicely done! Although I play Vanguard 95% of the time, and I would LOVE a cloak! That would be so boss! I would feel like a gold cloak from Game of Thrones! :D