>DEAF< Wtf?

• For some reason I cannot see my chat or anyone elses. The window still exists, and the mute all button has not been touched, but in the console and in my chat it says >DEAF<. This has never happened before and I have no idea how to turn it off. Can anyone help?

I have a sneaking suspicion that someone is fucking with my game as I saw a player stands rather still for a long period of time before this happened.

• Screenshot?

• I had a scroll through the console to double check it. The “Deaf” thing was a players name, and for some reason my chat completely stopped whenever he’d join a server I was on. Here’s a screenie of the console entry. I wasn’t the only one having the issue according to the logs, I just didn’t see it till I logged at the console now.

Every time all I could see was the first part of his name in chat “>DEAF<”

• This is interesting. Well for starters, angle brackets are characters that Chivalry can’t render. His name should show up as Player### in chat and on the scoreboard. If it is not and he is showing with the angle brackets, it’s possible he’s using some special character encoding that is causing your game to have a meltdown.

Does it happen on other servers/when that guy isn’t there?

• This is the first time it’s ever happened. It happened in two different servers I believe. No its only ever happened when he was present the two times today.

Another strange issue just popped up. My game started doing some weird black boxes all over the screen after extended periods of play (8+ hours). Just about 10 minutes ago the screen went completely grey, like some sort of weird vignette that you can apply to unreal games, and the entire UI froze up. I didn’t think to screenshot it since at that point I decided to simply turn the game off for the safety of my system.

• @RavenDice:

This is the first time it’s ever happened. It happened in two different servers I believe. No its only ever happened when he was present the two times today.

Sounds like he’s using illegal characters that are getting passed the in-game filtering. I’ll notify Crusty to investigate if he ever comes back from PAX. Do you happen to have the SteamID or Steam Community link to that guy’s profile? You could probably find him from looking at players that you played with recently.

@RavenDice:

Another strange issue just popped up. My game started doing some weird black boxes all over the screen after extended periods of play (8+ hours). Just about 10 minutes ago the screen went completely grey, like some sort of weird vignette that you can apply to unreal games, and the entire UI froze up. I didn’t think to screenshot it since at that point I decided to simply turn the game off for the safety of my system.

Driver crash of video card overheating? Do you have the latest drivers for your video card?

• I do have the latest driver. Could be overheating, though I’ve never had that issue before. The only ID I have for the player is the one in the image “Kashima”.

Sorry about the late reply. Works been killer this week.

• @RavenDice:

I do have the latest driver. Could be overheating, though I’ve never had that issue before. The only ID I have for the player is the one in the image “Kashima”.

Sorry about the late reply. Works been killer this week.

No worries. Well if you happen to get a link to the guy’s Steam Community profile like http://steamcommunity.com/id/ReMixx/, let us know so that we can see what characters it was.

• Is it just the same problem as in this post? http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10305

• Seem’s like it. If I had to guess, I’d say it doesn’t like that symbol because it’s probably used as syntax in the unreal engines code.

• @RavenDice:

Seem’s like it. If I had to guess, I’d say it doesn’t like that symbol because it’s probably used as syntax in the unreal engines code.

If I had to guess, I’d say that parts of the UI may use an xml-like markup syntax which relies on the angle brackets. But that’s just a guess :|

• Wouldn’t surprise me. I’ve seen in older games if you put stuff like // or other syntax in, and there isn’t something that makes it impossible to use those characters, then the game would sometimes think your trying to write code.

Seemingly an easy fix would be that any names using > or < will remove those characters, or bring up a message saying they can’t use those characters, and if they could change heir steam username. Failing to do so will simply lock you out of the multiplayer portion of the game. Course the major issue with this is that Steam doesn’t have an rules on using those characters in their names. Probably why other games force the users to give their own username using the games rules, as opposed to using your steam account.

• @RavenDice:

Seemingly an easy fix would be that any names using > or < will remove those characters, or bring up a message saying they can’t use those characters, and if they could change heir steam username.

Currently, the game renames players as “PlayerXXX” where XXX is 3 random numbers if it detects illegal characters in their Steam name. It is still possible that someone is using a character set that sneaks around this which is what I’m suspecting in this case.

• @ReMixx:

@RavenDice:

Seemingly an easy fix would be that any names using > or < will remove those characters, or bring up a message saying they can’t use those characters, and if they could change heir steam username.

Currently, the game renames players as “PlayerXXX” where XXX is 3 random numbers if it detects illegal characters in their Steam name. It is still possible that someone is using a character set that sneaks around this which is what I’m suspecting in this case.

Ah, wow. That’s a lot of effort just to piss off a few people. Oh well, guess there is nothing to do but wait until it happens again and try and grab the persons steam name.

• @RavenDice:

Ah, wow. That’s a lot of effort just to piss off a few people. Oh well, guess there is nothing to do but wait until it happens again and try and grab the persons steam name.

Yup :(

• Found the guy. Check your messages. I won’t out him publicly because there could be a misunderstanding.