A suggestion to improve King gameplay

• So, while Kings are a really entertaining game mechanic and are quite fun to play, the player who often gets the least out of are the people who managed to top the scoreboard and get crowned. The proper way to play as a king is to hide behind as many people as possible and find the safest place in the map, only engaging when absolutely necessary and staying as static as possible to regenerate any lost health. While the battle for the King’s life is great fun for everyone else, the standout player doesn’t really get to continue participating in that battle.

As such, my suggestion is focused on encouraging kings to actually continue fighting in their battles, to join up and actually play something of a leadership role to their teammates. Being able to make them more proactive would be more fun for the player in that role, and allow them to continue shining.

The actual mechanics of my suggestion are dead simple: give the King a portion of life regenerated for every kill they get. This would couple with a slight nerf to their armor, making it less profitable to sit and turtle. Kings would have more fun, maps would be more dynamic, and team play would be more critical to success.

I don’t have any numbers to throw out here, but it’s also worth pointing out that the amount of health regained might need to differ between classes killed, as well as whether the king earns any health back based on an assist, or if they recover it based on how much damage they actually did. I think all of those aspects are important, as you don’t want to create situations where kings are only trying to get killing blows, or hunting strictly for weakened players or low health classes. Either way, I feel this would make the modes more fun, and make being crowned feel more like a real reward.

• Interesting idea, although the amount regenerated would have to be minimal, or this could get overpowered quickly.

I had another idea to improve the idea of King gameplay a bit, just a thought. This title of the game itself is Chivalry, yet we see little of that in normal game modes.

My idea is, at the breaking of the gate (either on Citadel or Hillside) the defender’s best player spawns as king like normal, but the offensive team’s best player becomes a challenger to the Throne. Basically, it’s a 1 on 1 duel between the King, and the offensive teams best player. It would be heavily favoring the king as the offensive challenger wouldn’t get an armor bonus, but the idea seems pretty cool as a way to soften the king up a bit or, if highly skilled, win the game for your team outright.

If the king dies, the offensive team wins. If not, the game resumes like normal but the king remains at whatever health level he was at before the duel ended.

• @The:

My idea is, at the breaking of the gate (either on Citadel or Hillside) the defender’s best player spawns as king like normal, but the offensive team’s best player becomes a challenger to the Throne.

they just need to make a King Vs King game mode already

• @BB:

they just need to make a King Vs King game mode already

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11947

;D

• @The:

Interesting idea, although the amount regenerated would have to be minimal, or this could get overpowered quickly.

I had another idea to improve the idea of King gameplay a bit, just a thought. This title of the game itself is Chivalry, yet we see little of that in normal game modes.

My idea is, at the breaking of the gate (either on Citadel or Hillside) the defender’s best player spawns as king like normal, but the offensive team’s best player becomes a challenger to the Throne. Basically, it’s a 1 on 1 duel between the King, and the offensive teams best player. It would be heavily favoring the king as the offensive challenger wouldn’t get an armor bonus, but the idea seems pretty cool as a way to soften the king up a bit or, if highly skilled, win the game for your team outright.

If the king dies, the offensive team wins. If not, the game resumes like normal but the king remains at whatever health level he was at before the duel ended.

http://www.chivalrythegame.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7844&hilit=king
    Scroll down to seventh reply =p

• Fuck that noise. I always steal kills like a man with my fists as king and the tears of my team is all the reward I need when I finally fall on top of a heap of slain enemies with 5 seconds to go.

• I don’t hide like a coward when I’m king, I always find a way to participate without putting myself at risk. If some of my royal guards are being attacked by the masons on the side of the throne room, I’ll run that way and kill any mason that tries to run past, or charge forward to finish off a wounded mason before backing off.

• How about the worst person on the team respawns as the Queen?

• Then they’d have to model a woman.

• Is that chainmail or are you wearing a dress?

• @The:

Interesting idea, although the amount regenerated would have to be minimal, or this could get overpowered quickly.

I’ve often thought this would be cool, and this is a great idea for implementation. Also, agree with OP provided the health boost was minimal.

• @Matt:

Then they’d have to model a woman.

I am sure I could find an appropriate image to skin :)

• a king vs king mode would be sick, itll choose the person with the highest rank on both teams(although the highest ranked person isnt always the best) and the two team will try and kill the other king and defend their own, for a max of ten minutes then there will be a draw, and do it in maps that have two sides like moor, throneroom, frigid, arena maybe(but the gates don’t close), and ruins. A domination mode like in CoD would be sweet too.

• a king vs king mode would be sick, itll choose the person with the highest rank on both teams(although the highest ranked person isnt always the best) and the two team will try and kill the other king and defend their own, for a max of ten minutes then there will be a draw, and do it in maps that have two sides like moor, throneroom, frigid, arena maybe(but the gates don’t close), and ruins. A domination mode like in CoD would be sweet too. I love domination and would love to have it in chiv.

• King vs King duel is the worst possible idea ever!!!
    Have you been on a dueling server and seen what happens the moment the message pops up saying “waiting for remaining duels to finish”?
    You always get those few people who have such a high opinion of them selves who drag the duel out for sooooooooooo long. Its sooooooooo boring!!! x10^1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

• @Jstorm:

a king vs king mode would be sick, itll choose the person with the highest rank on both teams

Lord, no. One of the great things about the mechanic is that it’s assigned based strictly on merit - it’s a reward for playing well, not just playing a lot. Any mode with kings would have to find a way to continue that, like making multiple stages in the way citadel and stoneshill do.

• I was deeply hurt when my javelin got taken away when i was given king :(

• Lifesteal on king’s weapons would make the king OP in the hands of a good player though…

• Might be the only way to balance the Malric map. I’ve yet to see someone survive that.

• @Coaster_Man:

Lifesteal on king’s weapons would make the king OP in the hands of a good player though…

In a word: good. The numbers would have to be tuned here to make it fair - everyone knows that - but the point really is to make this a function where the player who earns kingship has to show their mettle instead of being reliant almost entirely on their team’s ability to intercept threats.