Archers are a support class and should be played that way. The “shotgunning” most archers use is annoying as it is. That is the reason for the delay. If you want to shoot when your opponent is close that’s a risk you take. If you succeed you bring the enemy down to a one hit kill. If you fail you die, simple really.
The fact of the matter is that all classes should be equally capable, otherwise there really no point in playing any other class then the one currently best at mowing down people. Calling archers "support and ignoring their issues is bullshit. How exactly are they supporting anything? (other then of course the enemies K:D ratio, at witch I must admit archers exceed like no other class). And no, you don’t bring shit down in one hit (well, except other archers) - Knights can even take a freaking head-shot without biting the dust and more often then not a second javelin won’t even finish them as they run up and chop your head off in one freaking random unstoppable swing in the name of fairness. And what happens if you survive that random swing? Well, you stunned and can no longer block, so you get to eat shit and die anyway.
On top of all this, Javelins are also:
1. Insanely limited, meaning that after just a couple of throws you might just press F10 and get it over with.
2. Are pretty much impossible to hit with most of the time, due to the slow projectile.
3. Have low range, forcing you to either stay too far behind and be useless to your team, or stay in the middle of combat where you are both vulnerable to being one-hit melee and by another archer.
4. Have quite possibly the most dodgy and badly flowing animation imaginable.
5. It goes without saying that archers suck in melee, but alas while the Javelin looks like it might be longer it’s still about the same range as the short sword, but on top of that has only one useful attack.
I could honestly go on listing stuff that is just down right terrible with the Javelin archer, but I think I have made my point.
TL;DR Javelin Archers are terrible at everything and calling them support doesn’t excuse that.
I personally love slash spammers. They make for great fodder. Let them swing at you all day while you stab them to death between their strikes while laughing in their face.
Whether you love them or not, they will probably still mow down around 5 people with random swings before going down to that one guy who knew how to use the block button - Needless to say people running around like headless chickens swinging two handers are equally as likely to come out on top as a skilled players playing a Javelin archers are.