Greetings. Having recently found, played, analyzed, and enjoyed Chilvalry, I wish to add suggestions to better the game. Overall, Chivalry is fun and has potential but I find it lacks a certain ‘fun factor’ in higher-leveled play. I am an above-average player so don’t assume my opinion is professional or right by any means.
Before I begin, prior to Chivalry, I played a game dubbed “Rune Halls of Valhalla.” In my opinion, it is the best melee game out there and I wish Chivalry would take some lessons from it. Rune is the epitome of easy to learn, difficult to master. It is a Viking melee hackfest of infinite replayability and raging, just like Chivalry but to a greater degree. Having played that game 7 years (and having stopped due to a dying community – the game is very old), some of my ideas will be Rune-inspired but nevertheless, they all focus on bettering Chivalry EXTENSIVELY. Here is a video demonstration of what Rune is about for the unsullied. (3rd video is more modern and much better quality)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8z403-cg3c (A tournament championship)
As to the issues with Chivalry at the moment, in high level play where matrixing, dragging, feinting, and alternative blows are common place, I find the feinting feature to be a useful but ultimately, non-engaging mechanic. It’s easy to use, yes, but the point of just face-hugging, feint for panic-parry and attack is ultimately an unenjoyably formality (this is where feints are commonplace – obviously it’s used in other times). It is a disincentive for defensive players who will inevitably fall for the panic-parry lure and suffer. Stamina alterations will not prevent this. I propose mechanics to replace feinting yet offer more flexibility and encourage different play styles to the game so without further ado, the suggestions:
**1. Remove feinting mechanic. See bottom suggestions for substitutes.
2. Have innate parry function for weapons. In other words, weapons can parry incoming hits without hitting the parry button so long as the weapon models touch (before you instantly reject this concept, hear me out).
I believe to replace feinting, you need both an offensive and defensive mechanism that enhances the game – this being the defensive mechanic (and no, it does not remove forced parries - that is perfectly fine as it is). First of all, this change gives further advantage to matrixing and footwork where character positioning can become crucial in time of needs. Instead of just last second feint, panic-parry saves, you are given more control to avoid blows if you have the aptitude – a very difficult skill to master.
Since 1-handed weapons hit so quickly in close range, this will not be an issue in terms of abuse. Just like you aim away from a shield, you can aim away from a weapon. This parry will drain stamina like a regular parry and will not allow the counter riposte option you get through a forced parry. The window of attack after an unforced parry should be enough to allow the attacker to defend themselves.
With regards to slow 2-handers which 1-handers can abuse, a LARGE stamina penalty should be inflicted (they’re the easiest weapons to dodge away from any who). For 2-handers vs 2-hander fights, this penalty will be like a regular parry.
The big complaint with this comes with shields that now have 2 methods of defense. Seeing the endless shieldless mma’s and non-shielded 1-handed sworded knights in duels, I realize this can translate well. There are already complaints, especially among mma’s that bucklers and the other shields are usually pointless save for archers. This suggestion will give an incentive to pick shields yet not make it superior.
To remedy this, If a shielder is holding defend, their weapon will not have this innate parry function. Otherwise, the weapon parries by default (not the shield). Since this still means attackers have it harder since they need to avoid both weapon and shield, any unintentional parries by shielders will result in a tiny attack delay so unlike non-shielders, they can’t instantly retaliate and are open for further punishment.
Lastly, for attackers, any unintentional parry DOES NOT stop the attacker from comboing like a regular parry. This prevents defensive abuse and also makes for some AMAZING looking fights!
If anyone has criticisms of this, ask away. I honestly believe this will work wonderfully.
3. As I said, to replace feinting, you need a new offensive and defensive mechanic. As of now I have a simple 2-step suggestion for an offensive mechanic and will update with better ones if they come to mind.
I believe having an alternative option for the stab wherein a more drawn back, slower, delayed stab would give players the option of tricking defenders without feinting. How is this any different… simple.
This is not a full animation cancelation like feinting thus, this will be a more predictable method of attack. Furthermore, if the 2 stab animations are slightly different, it will help good players find a method to stop those who would simply face hug you. Also note that if suggestion 2 is in place, face hugging abuse would be almost gone. Also don’t forget the usefulness of this new attack with dragging which adds an interesting dynamic.
The second part of this offensive overhaul is an increased role of jump attacks. Even a defensive mechanic like in suggestion 2 will in theory give more leverage to defensive users and promote very ‘turtleish tactics’. At the moment, jump attacks are not common and drain extra stamina and risk you getting stuck in midair for a devastating overhead by your opponent.
Using gravity as the motivator, any middair attacks (thrust, slash, stab) will be 30-50% faster when done in air. For those offensive players that meet very passive, defensive players, this gives them an option similar to feinting in close-proximity situations without the ridiculous animation freezes and endless panic parries as a result of it. Lastly, a possible incentive for those doubting that this will be enough to promote jump attacks, a lower stamina drain for attacks in midair will solve that issue.
4. MISC: Previously suggested, have options for team arenas.
5. MISC: Previously suggested, a fun feature, have equipable limbs that do minimal damage when thrown or used in melee. Would be absolutely hilarious and people will love it.
6. New Class: Coistrel. A dual wielding warrior between mma and vanguard in health and speed (slower than mma, more health than mma but not vanguard). No special abilities however, is gifted with a unique dual wielding fighting mechanic.
7. More customization for characters which the recent patch has thankfully done. More colors, models, etc. (Inevitable feature) Optional capes/cloaks would be cool.
8. A revamping of weapons where at the moment, weapons like daggers can block mauls, etc. with minimal penalties. Add severe stamina penalties for one. Stuns or health damage are other open options.
9. Chat bubbles or a similar graphic above players when in chat. Allows players to know when they are about to chat kill someone or not.
10. Ping should be shown in duel servers and any other applicable servers.
11. Create server function is too restrictive. No names, not all variations of a map available nor modes for a map that has functionality for more gametypes. No straightforward, GUI method of handling this issue.
12. A map editor would be perfect. This game needs a modding community to truly survive. Having a map/script editor would allow this to occur much easier.
13. Reduced speed on several 2-handed weapons that outswing 1-handers (claymore, etc.) Both a major realism and balance issue.
14. Something must be done with chat especially in duel servers. Whenever I’m in the middle of chat and a match concludes or the menu pops up, I become unable to continue typing my message while the text remains on screen until it later refreshes. This issue is especially relevant when you type right after you win/lose a match and the victory/defeat message hasn’t popped up.
15. Not sure if a bug or not, but challenges in duel should preferably take you out of the pool. There are so many times where challenges simply won’t lead into a duel or that the pool automatically allots you a match.**
Thank you in advance for responses and I will update this thread if I have any more suggestions. I really do wish suggestion 2 could be implemented in some way.