Average of 10
Posts made by Gauntlet
RE: Release Build Feedback
Another argument for the teamdamage thing is the huge advantage that gives facehugging in a 1vX. I’ve been in fights where I’ve been focusing on a super aggressive Vyp wildly swinging at me, to have a Tauant axe stab through her and kill me when my block was down. That’s not how things should be done imo.
This is entirely the problem with the current model. It was an issue in Chivalry, and continues to be an issue. If someone can propose a counter argument I’d like to read it, this discussion would be very welcome.
I rarely if ever hit a teammate by accident. If I do so, I do so with intent (he is in my way // I can score an easy kill). This should not be the thought process of a player.
Release Build Feedback
Apologies for the rough draft outline. These are some notes I took while playing, and not a lot of it could be condensed into sections as the issues I’ve run into are small but all over the spectrum from mild nuisances to gameplay inconsistencies. This is from the perspective of someone with 3k hours of Chivalry, and about 300 hours of Mirage from Alpha.
- Dying after the Victory screen appears counts towards your total deaths.
- Idle kick should not be active during “pre-game”. I launch a server and alt-tab to try and kickstart a player population but will be booted for inactivity. Idle kick should ONLY occur when that player is taking a slot on a team / the server is full.
- Getting hit by non-flinch projectiles during release prevents you from combo parrying or combo feint to parrying. Getting hit during release does not put you back to idle to allow a parry if there was more than one attack thrown at you during this time.
• If you are hit during release you should be able to parry again immediately.
- Players can enter the spawn area where the enemy team gets a countdown warning w/ the flag on CTF, making it extremely difficult to retrieve.
- Low health red glowing outline // sound muffling // heartbeat are all really intrusive. Getting to that point is almost guaranteed death because of the amount of visuoaudio clutter.
- Too many maps have the camera spectator start outside the map boundaries, and be unable to move. This is very unpolished and feels bad for the player.
- End of round takes far too long. By stopping the action (freezing players) you’re forcing everyone to look at a scoreboard screen which for many players heralds an exit from the match. So if it has to be this way, speed the process up! 30 seconds is too long.
- Projectiles tend to react far too immediately to environmental objects. Ex: I fire a tinker hookshot at a player, and try to curve it around a corner. The projectile itself is not very close to the corner as I’m curving it, but then it kind of skips to the corner as if it connected.
• Players flinched by obelisk can still attack, despite taking damage. I’m not sure if it’s because they’re parrying it and riposting and it’s showing a flinch animation first, but something is going on here.
• Obelisk if activated at the time in which it expires, will expire despite being activated. It would make more sense that if activated it would complete the explosion instead of disappating mid-animation.
• Spawning obelisks off the edge of the map in courtyard works like it does in Spire. I like this a lot! However if you fall a certain distance below the map and try it, the obelisk will spawn in the kill zone. In order to save myself, I’d rather have it spawn in the air below my feet, when I am in the process of falling.
- Alchemancer melee needs a rework.
• He can hit trade w/ his attacks which goes against FHF.
• His sword spawning and particle animations can be very blinding for the attacker, including his parry animation.
• The parry animation hides ripostes because the borders of the glow mask the windup animation of the stab attack.
• Having a weapon spawn (instead of a physical weapon) makes it hard to determine his reach for both the user and defender, because there is no visual reference.
• The sword looks lame! Would love a nice steel shortsword in place of the current plastic looking sword.
• His attacks are far too slow, even w/ the melee variant.
- Ability interactions.
• Taurant whirlwind creates gamble situations. Often the first part of the swing will miss, but the follow up will be in range to hit. The whirlwind should only have one twirl, and the player camera should spin w/ it. Creates a sense of immersion and is more predictable than the current double spin model.
• Attempting a leap slam out of a stasis will cause you to fall to the ground w/o lifting you into the air. Considering that you can wall jump into a leap slam, this seems incongruent from how the ability normally operates.
- Attacks that intersect friendly teammates player meshes should stop the weapon release. A team hit should NEVER continue through a friendly player.
• Creates blendering play styles when in team fights, with teammates swinging through each other to hit enemies.
• Hitting through friendly players is very effective (only 25% team damage for the potential 100% damage on enemy hit). Please reconsider stopping the release tracers from continuing when friendly players are struck. A team-hit should act as a minor deflect, like hitting a world object.
- ○ De-incentivizes team hitting (no potential reward).
○ Provides more opportunities for survival in 1vX (using enemy players for strategic positioning).
- ○ De-incentivizes team hitting (no potential reward).
RE: No friendly fire with magic and limited friendly fire damage with weapons
I agree with this feedback.
Also you posted this in the wrong section of the forum. Make sure you’re posting in the closed alpha section of the forum.
RE: Biggest gameplay flaw right now: Overall game speed
They had abilities use mana at first, cooldowns are better.
Supposedly better. We never saw a build with mana.
RE: Poll regarding FOV cap.
I’m fine with the 120 fov cap. However I do feel badly about multi-monitor users. I wonder if there is a way to enable past 120 fov if the game detects a multi-monitor set up? I know players could just bluff this and get 140+ fov with a single monitor, but it at least will curb the average player from doing so. I did not like seeing 90% of competitive chivalry montages being with fish vision.
RE: Team fights are a big big mess (long read)
@Frodiziak You definitely have a point about Tinker mines. Currently I don’t use them to prep for a fight, but rather toss them at my target during a fight to start creating death zones.
Regarding your other points
Alchemancer does no team damage with any spell. Including his big blast aoe.
Projectiles do not phase through teammates, they will be halted by their model. It’s more likely that the projectile curved around that character model with the real time manipulation of projectiles.
As far as too much AOE goes: this game has a larger focus on team interactions. A well placed Iron Dome over the objective will cover you from Alchemancer barrages, taurant charges/leap slams, vigilist disperses, and any other attack ability that can knock you around really. The iron dome protects very well, and has a substantial health pool / longevity.
Try playing vigilist and using her iron dome around objective spots. I’ve found that doing this greatly increases my teams success.
I opened a thread discussing this not too long ago. I don’t really care to up the team damage, I’d rather not be slain by careless teammates. I would however suggest and this really should be in, is that tracers that hit friendly player meshes should stop the attack, so you cannot use your teammates as sacrifices as you noted you had started doing. It would be advantageous for the health of the game.
RE: Will spamming voice commands not be a thing at all?
It’s definitely a problem imo, and it extends further than just spamming voices.
Character voices are often used to provide intel as well as provide comedic effect. With the current restriction to using the voice commands, I can’t laugh a few times and then yell “BEHIND YOU!” if I see someone coming up from our rear, due to voice spam restriction. Parameters are far too tight, and honestly probably don’t need to exist at all.
General Feedback Alpha #09
Alpha Build #09
- Some strange reflections of first person model are still present.
- Love the water visuals in this game, it’s very phantasmagorical.
Main Menu - UI is shaping up nicely. Feels incredibly user friendly and coming from Chivalry, everything works as you would expect it to. Awesome!
- Exit application - The icon to exit game doesn’t bring up a prompt asking “Are you sure you want to quit?” with a Y/N prompt. Unforgiving for accidental misclicks.
- Getting into the application you are forced to watch the UE4 / TBS logo. Possibility to skip these without removing files? I always hated intro videos.
- When in-game and with either the loadout menu or team select screen open, I’d like to be able to press the hotkey N or M to switch fluidly between the screens instead of having to mouse click the UI icon to swap between them. Character select and team select swap icons are on opposite sides of the UI, makes changing between them back and forth a bit of a chore if you accidentally misclick.
Server Browser - Needs to be centered, obviously still work in progress.
- VO Blocked to prevent voice spamming is too restrictive. I can’t laugh a few times, then try to tell someone “behind you!” without it silencing me. Remember, voices provide valuable intel as well as comedic effect. Preventing voice spam winds up being more obnoxious than hearing a voice spammer.
- In a 6v6 setting, the gameplay is fantastic. Nothing really beats the rush of fighting multiple opponents, dashing under / over attacks, phasing through players, etc. In a team fight, Vigilist really shines with her Iron Dome ability. It becomes necessary to every group fight, really.
- CTF needs a few tweaks to the design.
- Players need to be able to see if they’re carrying the flag. A flashing indicator which reads “YOU HAVE THE ARTIFACT” would be hugely important, preferably where a player can see it.
- An indication which team currently holds the flag also needs to be available on screen at all times. Often a player could capture without me knowing which team controlled the flag.
- Why would we deliver an artifact to the enemy base? Why not make it a bomb so we’re suiciding into the enemy fort.
- Many facehug ripostes seem to ignore parry volume. Some issues remaining with general reactiveness of parry in Mirage.
- Parry volume does not follow torso rotation. Attacks from odd angles (attacks from above mainly) will often bypass parry volume.
- Feints are largely unreadable still. Might be due to a lot of weapons early hitting / bad animations (Taurant feint into attack animations blend poorly and appear as if the attack never stopped).
- Players desyncing from their attack animations (like in Chivalry) can occur. The animation will either play really late (you’ve already been hit but then the attack animation plays), or no animation will play at all.
Is too intrusive on the gameplay. Parry a few abilities (which you largely cannot avoid doing), parry an attack or two here and there, maybe wall jump / side step, and you’re out of stamina. It’s very sudden and extremely limiting
- Consider increasing the stamina pool or reducing the amount of stamina lost across the board. This game is incredibly fast, parry into parry, feint into parry, cftp, side steps and other jump dodges. Stamina winds up dictating too many 1vX encounters, with the 1 running out and having no chance to recover. In its current incarnation it’s a huge skill limiter as I cannot perform all the necessary functions in a fight for my own survival without running out of stamina.
- Much improved over last build. I didn’t think I’d like the class differences in wall jump distance but I find it a good balance for heavier characters like Taurant to be unable to wall jump the same distance as a Tinker or Vypress. Visually it didn’t make sense either. Great work.
- Shuriken should have a few more bounces before disappating imo
- Lacking a cool ability at this time, nothing particularly defining about him other than access to heals.
- Belly bounce is underwhelming when sharing the same ability slot with magic carpet
- Kind of wish Entropist grenades were physical instead of magic. Having what appears to be grenades strapped to his belt which are where he’d pull them from to toss would be neat. The graphic of the grenade itself could look like a small pot with a team colored trail that flows out of it.
- Weapon damage is underwhelming, and ability selection is underwhelming. Abilities should have more variety and facilitate different playstyles. Currently only one set of abilities is worth picking, making him very one dimensional.
- Changes to tinker are godly, back flip being used to jump high is fun, and grapple hook behaving like a self pull when mid flight is really neat too. Would it be possible to make it so grapple shot works on environment to pull her? Ex: Mid air tinker uses grapple shot against a wall and pulls herself towards it.
- I’m tinker biased. Tinker is bae.
- Can hold ward strike, animation shows her throw but then holds the projectile. The animation is visually confusing in this way.
- This section of the map appears to be large enough to walk on, but an invisible barrier prevents player movement. Feels incongruent with what is visually present.